Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
recrazyjax OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
North GA, NC, TN, VA, WVA, SC and FL (1650 miles, 6 days) on a KLR

Hey All,

Long time lurker...first time ride reporter! :) haha. I've done several rides up in the Mtns but never a ride report. Thought you guys might enjoy this.

First off, GREAT CREDIT goes to Gaston Gugne for his ride report (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601359) that lead me to a WHOLE LOT of this ride. All I really didn't find was the rough parts of the Pott's Mtn Rd and by the time I found Iron Mtn Trail it was so late in the day I didn't try it by myself with a loaded KLR...I REALLLLY wanted to though...haha Thanks man...you help me find some FANTASTIC rides my friend!!

So, wife and I took the truck with the KLR in the back up to N. Ga (Dawsonville) to camp with some friends for a couple of days. On Sunday, she headed home to Fl and I took off on the KLR for a few days. I did a google route map for each leg of the trip and have included them here. They are pretty much right on the track I took.

Leg 1 was: http://goo.gl/maps/TBJyH

The ride out of Dawsonville up through the Rich Mtn Wilderness as great.

Just N of Murphy is the route to River Rd. This is a pic from River Rd (near the Cherohala Skyway) that's gravel and closed (haha...right) much of the way. This is one of the waterfalls and it is a beautiful drive!

The Cherohala Skyway is awesome of course!!

I spent night 1 in Robbinsville. Day 2 I rode the dragon...you just have to do that!!

Then took some back roads over to Smokey Mountain Knife Works (again...must see!!). I avoided the tourist stuff and headed over to Crosby and rode Hwy 32 over to some FS roads (some gravel and some paved...yea baby) to Buzzard Roost (a MUST see). I found some great creek crossings, mud, water falls, etc...a great ride and one worth the time. Buzzard Roost is on Harmond Den Rd overlooking I40 just past what's shown as Dick's Branch Rd...stop for this!!!

That's Buzzard Roost btw...note the cars on I40 you can hardly see...it was FREAKY high man!! :)

Start Leg 2 here: http://goo.gl/maps/ZNsIW

I ended day two in Hot Springs, NC. A great little town to visit and some of the roads are fantastic all around the area.

recrazyjax screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 05:43 PM
recrazyjax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
recrazyjax OP
Adventurer

Cont...

Day Three I headed our from Hot Springs, NC through Roan Mtn and over the Snake (US421 off Mountain City Tn).

The Snake is a great road and worth the ride as well!

Just before the Va line outside Damascus is this little place...fantastic!!

This starts Leg 3: http://goo.gl/maps/WTbbh

I spent the 3rd night in Marion VA. Out of Marion on Hwy 16 (called The Back Of The Dragon!!!) is some great stuff. I'd never heard of it but it was comparable to the Snake or The Tail of the Dragon.

This is Tub Run Rd...another great gravel road.

Then came Pott's Mtn Rd

At this point I needed a ...

Yes I walked back to the hotel!! :)

Did I mention that it rained that night??

BUT...it was beautiful and dry in the am...I love my luck this trip...only rain I got! I stayed overnight in Covington.

Next day started out with a beautiful bridge.

Then a very neat tunnel (actually a BIG Galvanized Steel Tube...)

Now starts Leg 4: http://goo.gl/maps/yBUQT

Found these on the way south from White Sulphur Springs:

Then this...
Thirty minutes of frustration! haha....then I was back on the "Back of the Dragon" again...
I spend that night in Boone.

The next morning I was off on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit.

Then outside of Linville Falls (the Town and the actual falls) is a road called Old Highway 105 (gravel and fun) that leads to Linville Gorge and the overlook...it is not as spectacular as Buzzard Roost but it is close!! This is me sitting on a rock with feet dangling...long way down baby.

Then then one going down the hill to the "flatlands of GA" and headed south to Jacksonville Fl (14 1/2 hr day home...easy on the KLR with Sargent Seat and Highway Pegs!!).

Good Riding All!
Todd
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Nicely done. Looks like good weather to out riding in the hills.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,186
Good report.

Thanks

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,797
Shady Valley and Backbone Rock. I spent every weekend for most of 9 years up there on a sport bike. Love that place.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Great Pics...That Buzzard Roost is a must see, my palms still sweat when I think about that rock jutting out that high up .

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 673
Good ride and great report, Todd. Take me with you on the next one!! Hope you can come to the meeting Wed. nite and regale us with details!
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
good stuff!
i can tell you enjoyed yourself

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
BLZ2DWL
Roustabout

Oddometer: 72
16 through VA is nothing like the Dragon! It's an interstate in comparison. Set the cruise control and go to sleep! You wouldn't ever want to waste your time riding it. And Potts Mountain is nothing to write home about. Stay down south and ride the Snake or the Dragon. Virginia roads suck! Avoid them at all costs!

Glad you had a good ride. Excellent choices along the way. How do you like the low-buck exhaust mod?

B-
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
RECRAZYJAX, I've been known to take a long weekend, up to a few weeks to get out of fla and ride some twisties. but i'm a camper only. remember me if a quick trip comes up and you want company.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,909
Nice trip! I'm envious. Except for a trip to Brown Mtn, I haven't been out on the bike for a month.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Thumb

Yep, Spring's here & the Floridians are already clogging the roads!

recrazyjax, Just kidding. Thanks for the great ride report. Reminds me that I need to get my street bike running and spend a bit of time touring the twisties. It sure would be a lot easier on my old joints than the rocky trails I've been riding lately.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
recrazyjax OP
Adventurer

:) Yea Baby~

Hey All,

Thanks for the comments. It was a fun trip. I've been up to the Snake/Dragon many times and wanted to do some other roads up north and east.

The "Back of the Dragon" was a fun ride. Not as complex the dragon but fun. Here's a pic of me on the dragon a while back when I still had the Ducati :)
There's nothing wrong with any of them except they are so far from where I live!! haha

Todd