User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
Kejidog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Alaska to Nova Scotia. Cheechako to Bluenoser

After reading lots of ride reports. I am joining the list of people who have gone before me. I have lurked on here and finally decided to join up.

Not having taken a big road trip by bike for a few years had me looking for a potential epic trip. Well sometimes the gods smile on an old motorcyclist.

I got a phone call out of the blue from my Brother in early June asking me what I was doing this summer. Interesting question. Why? He has a friend wanting to drive to Alaska on a rs1200 gsa. He needed someone to get it back home due to time constraints. Was I interested? Well let me see.....yes.

After hanging up and checking with the boss lady. I got my ok to start planning. Moving around my vacation to suit the time frame was pretty easy. I agreed to do the deed. I met Jeff for lunch and we discussed our expectations about the ride. Jeff seemed like a detirmined rider and I figured he would be there when he said he was going to be. We agreed Anchorage would be the place to meet to say it was a true ocean to ocean trip. I booked a one way flight to anchorage and made it official. I at least had a flight in my future. I tried out his bike on a bit of a blast from Halifax to Moncton and back in an afternoon to see if i was comfortable putting miles on on his tall GS. No problems there. Great bike with lots of get up and go. I have my VFR that i have been all over eastern Canada on and down and back to the grand canyon by way of the tail of the dragon. But never across Canada. After getting of his bike back onto mine I could not believe I took this VFR to the Canyon and back. Being from one side of the continent it is hard to get the time from work and family to go both ways. This was a golden opportunity i had to grab. I checked out a few fourms asked a few questions and now my time is approaching to go. I am hoping to post from the road and include pics too. If i can figure out how to post here from my iphone I will be a happy man. Packing and testing my gear for fit on the bike was completed before Jeff left made the undertaking seem real. Just waiting for my flight to anchorage on July 4 packing and leaving on the bike the next day.

Not having time to linger too long in Alaska or the Yukon is a bit of a drag so my route is a direct one across the continent. My route potentially will be riding the Glenn highway, maybe with a side trip up to Denali Park and across the Denali highway to the Alcan to Whitehorse, then down the Cassiar to the Yellowhead to Jasper then down to 100 mile house to see a friend east of Red Deer in Alix. Crossing Saskatchewan and Manitoba in a blur to do some exploring around Lake Superior to spend some time with some friends in Ottawa and then a big jump home. Should be easy! Home by July 17.

I plan on some camping but realistically at 46, I am too old to do it every day. I have a tent, a therma rest and a sleeping bag but if it does not come out of the drybag it won't break my heart. My other passion is my 1985 Westy, with its gel foam matress, better than my bed at home; it has ruined me for sleeping in a tent on the ground . Although Kluane and Denali is on my list and some of the sites in BC should keep me sleeping alfresco to make it a real adventure.

If anyone has some experience of posting from an iPhone with tapatalk or some other way maybe they can pm me to let me know the best way to accomplish this.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Kejidog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Here are a few pics of my gear. The bike is in Alaska.

Then all jammed into compression stuffsacks.

Photos will follow of all that is worthy. And some not.

Its a solo trip man. - Neil Young