User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,771
Video of an axe being made by hand

Thought you tool guys (Smithy, you out there?) would enjoy this.
Guy makes the head, the handle and modified sheath. Beautiful.

http://www.ktrh.com/onair/michael-be...eing-12349102/

If someone can imbed it, please do.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 927
Here ya go:

BTW this is an awesome vid, it's been posted on here somewhere before but worth a reboot
Old 05-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Here ya go:

BTW this is an awesome vid, it's been posted on here somewhere before but worth a reboot
Thanks. I couldn't get to the screen with "share" then "imbed" like when I go directly to YouTube. Appreciated.

I hadn't seen it before. Having zero skills like that I was beyond impressed.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Looks like some nice stuff, expensive but probably worth it.

http://www.autinetools.com/en
Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,092
Quote:
Here ya go:

OK, I'll give him extra credit for the laminated blade, that's an expensive extra touch, but frankly, for the money, I'll buy Gransfors Bruks and get two or three for the price of one. I will point out that I don't make a living with my axe.

BTW, you can look for a forge video of GB as well, now they do use a press system, and it's a lot faster but it's also an interesting picture of half way between this guy, and say, the el-cheapo stuff.

thanks for posting that.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 927
I agree, I own a couple of Gransfors bruks and love them. The quality of this vid was great and inspired me to hang this Vintage GB that was rusting away in one of my dads tool boxes:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,092
Quote:
I agree, I own a couple of Gransfors bruks and love them. The quality of this vid was great and inspired me to hang this Vintage GB that was rusting away in one of my dads tool boxes:
That's pretty! How vintage do you think it is, and what's the design, do you know? Looks like a rather long handle. They make so many it's hard to tell some of them apart.

And by the way, I'm not saying laminating does not add value, but only that it's too much value for my pocket book - it's a very well done video and it shows the important parts very clearly. I bet if you wanted a 'shaving axe', that is probably a good choice.

I pulled my GB splitting axe out today to make kindling - it's the axe that gets the most use, it makes a bucket of splinters faster than anything I have used before.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
JohninVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
[QUOTE=Manuel Garcia O'Kely;24176211]That's pretty! How vintage do you think it is, and what's the design, do you know? Looks like a rather long handle. They make so many it's hard to tell some of them apart.

And by the way, I'm not saying laminating does not add value, but only that it's too much value for my pocket book - it's a very well done video and it shows the important parts very clearly. I bet if you wanted a 'shaving axe', that is probably a good choice.

I pulled my GB splitting axe out today to make kindling - it's the axe that gets the most use, it makes a bucket of splinters faster than anything I have used beforWetterlings

It's a great video but it isn't entirely truthful.

Forge welding higher carbon steel into the cutting edge is pretty standard stuff for well made axes. A Wetterlings or GB is literally 1/2 to 1/3 the price and functionally...a better axe. Also, there is no one named John Neeman. The company under that name had a half dozen smiths. The same guy didn't make the axe, handle and sheath. One of the smiths from Neeman broke off and started Autine.

Autine and Neeman list the hardness of their axes at 45-55 Rockwell. Not 55 at the cutting edge tapering back to 45 at poll. Just 45-55. That's because there isn't adequate temperature control during the forging process. Heat it too hot and you pound the carbon out. 45 is pretty soft. It'll look nice and sharpen or polish easy but it won't stay sharp.

Contrast that to say...a Wetterlings. It's 57 Rockwell. That's because even though the use machinery from the 1920's to pound out the heads, they also have modern induction ovens that heat the steel accurately. It makes obtaining a specific hardness easier during tempering. Only 9 people work at Wetterlings.

Again, the video is cool and a lot of craftsmanship is shown....just not entirely truthful.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,741
[QUOTE=JohninVT;24177950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Contrast that to say...a Wetterlings. It's 57 Rockwell. That's because even though the use machinery from the 1920's to pound out the heads, they also have modern induction ovens that heat the steel accurately. It makes obtaining a specific hardness easier during tempering. Only 9 people work at Wetterlings.
Interesting stuff, I checked them out, they have an nice web site with all the history and how they forge the steel.
http://www.wetterlings.com/
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Skip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
A few years ago I bought a small Granfors-Bruks axe. Excellent craftsmanship and VERY sharp. So sharp that when I was putting the sheath back on one of the first few times the blade damaged the leather due to my clumsiness.

So I email GB with my contact information asking to purchase a replacement sheath. A day or two later I get a phone call from the factory in Sweden. Sincere apologies for the problem with the sheath (even though it was my fault) and a replacement sheath arrived within a week at no charge.

Customer service lives on in the land of Hasselblads, Saabs and Granfors-Bruks tools. Since then I've given three or four GB axes as gifts.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: