User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Fireclimber OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Importing a used bike from Canada to the US

I am considering buying a used bike in Canada from an inmate here on the site. I've started looking into what that entails but would appreciate any advice on the matter. I had hoped to not have to fly back and bring the bike across the border myself but rather rely on the owner and a pre purchase inspection through a dealer close to him. I've already figured out shipping costs once on the US side and that there will be an import fee of 2.4 percent. I've been told that I need to hire a Customs House broker to act in my place if I'm not there. Apparently this can be done through a broker at the border crossing or in my hometown. I also know that I need to obtain a letter from KTM stating the bike meets US emissions but can't get KTM North America to return my phone calls. Any advice on payment would also be much appreciated. He seems like a trustworthy guy but that's a lot of dough thrown out there without any assurance of receiving the bike.
Fireclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
The US Custom folks will be the ones playing God using their rule book. Doubt Canada gets a free pass here and essentially any bike/car less than 25 years old imported from another country must provably meet US DOT and EPA specs Period. US Spec bikes will have either sticker on it or it will state so on the MSO or both. If it doesn't you've got 90 days to bring it up to spec and "Prove it" or it goes to the crusher. If it's over 25 it's a non-issue on the DOT legalities.
Again US Customs are calling the shots on this if they do or don't release the bike so they are the ones to talk to about what you need to pull this off. If it was built as a US spec bike KTM can help. If it wasn't built meeting US DOT/EPA specs there's nothing they can do for you. It's either legal or it isn't. A Customs House Broker is great for handling trickey foreign paperwork but they can't invent or create correct papers. If yours doesn't meet US specs it just ain't happening regardless of how much you've already spent or who filed the paperwork.
Best of luck but do your homework directly with the people calling the shots "before" you write any checks.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,796
KTM has NOT been cross-border import/export friendly for years now, so they can justify higher prices in Canada for the same product to protect their dealers. For example, they refuse to participate in the RIV program to allow US market KTM's into Canada relatively easily because they have the same safety and emissions equipment. Not on the RIV list, therefore you can't prove they are equivalent.

Because of that, I highly doubt you'll get them to admit that Canadian spec bikes are the same as US spec ones per DOT/EPA standards.......
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Everything above is what I have heard about importing from our neighbors.

I have to ask, is the bike a really good deal? Or is it a bike we don't get here in the US?
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: