User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #286
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Wanted to bring this back up to the top....get some more feedback, looks like I am going to be buying in the next month-2months.

Tractors on the list.

Kubota BX series.
JD 1 series.
MF 1700 series.

Tractors off the list
Mahindra (neighbor has one and is the biggest POS on the planet)

that is about it.

Have I missed anything, I want dealer support so Yammar/Cub Cadet is off the list.

I live on 13ac, mostly flat, need the machine to dig up stumps, build some walls, move some rocks around, work on some drainage problems, gravel,mulch. It needs to be a smallish machine as it will be spending some time in the woods where moving around would be hard for a larger machine....my 8n will not fit without cutting down trees. It will be doing a lot of digging up stumps, pulling down old fencing.....stuff like that. I would also like it to mow as I am planning on mowing most of that 13ac. Tired of having it bailed by other people....just a pain in the butt.

It HAS to have the loader and back hoe, I would like it get at the same time a wood chipper/shreader and a belly mower/finish mower.

Planning on looking at the Massey Ferguson this weekend...I have been on the JD and the Kubota.

Just really looking for a long term review on the machines.....does anyone have the MF series of tractors....their 0% for 72 months is pretty nice...like them loaning me the money for free....Deere does it for 60 months, not sure about Kubota. No one makes their entire tractor except for Kubota...good/bad on that. Always owned green paint before except for the 8n...wish new Holland had something in this class but they really don't. Green seems to have the most features, but also the highest price. Kubota has a huge following, and not many know much about the MF, online comments are positive, it is the biggest unknown.

Any suggestions, reviews things you wish you did different....

thanks.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #287
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Wanted to bring this back up to the top....get some more feedback, looks like I am going to be buying in the next month-2months.

Tractors on the list.

Kubota BX series.
JD 1 series.
MF 1700 series.

Tractors off the list
Mahindra (neighbor has one and is the biggest POS on the planet)

that is about it.

Have I missed anything, I want dealer support so Yammar/Cub Cadet is off the list.

I live on 13ac, mostly flat, need the machine to dig up stumps, build some walls, move some rocks around, work on some drainage problems, gravel,mulch. It needs to be a smallish machine as it will be spending some time in the woods where moving around would be hard for a larger machine....my 8n will not fit without cutting down trees. It will be doing a lot of digging up stumps, pulling down old fencing.....stuff like that. I would also like it to mow as I am planning on mowing most of that 13ac. Tired of having it bailed by other people....just a pain in the butt.

It HAS to have the loader and back hoe, I would like it get at the same time a wood chipper/shreader and a belly mower/finish mower.

Planning on looking at the Massey Ferguson this weekend...I have been on the JD and the Kubota.

Just really looking for a long term review on the machines.....does anyone have the MF series of tractors....their 0% for 72 months is pretty nice...like them loaning me the money for free....Deere does it for 60 months, not sure about Kubota. No one makes their entire tractor except for Kubota...good/bad on that. Always owned green paint before except for the 8n...wish new Holland had something in this class but they really don't. Green seems to have the most features, but also the highest price. Kubota has a huge following, and not many know much about the MF, online comments are positive, it is the biggest unknown.

Any suggestions, reviews things you wish you did different....

thanks.
Problem I see is that moving rocks around and digging up stumps is not something you usually associate with a small tractor.

I am just going to repeat what Im sure has already been said (to lazy to look back) you can get a lot more tractor for your buck on the used market.

You can get something like this :

for less than half the price of the new tractors you have listed... and its over twice the tractor.
It has live 540 and 1000 rpm PTO, 3 point hitch, power steering, full hydraulics, locking diff, maybe a shuttle shift....... its 25 years old but its still what I would consider a modern tractor compared to something like a ford 8n (I see that was mentioned a few times).

You want to mow down 13 acres of hay and I am not sure if any of those tractors you have listed are large enough to pull even the smallest haybine, never mind a diskbine. You would have to go old school and use a sickle bar..... but maybe that's what your planning anyway.

at least that's what I would do anyway.

banshee8989 screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 09:22 AM
banshee8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #288
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee8989 View Post
Problem I see is that moving rocks around and digging up stumps is not something you usually associate with a small tractor.

I am just going to repeat what I sure has already been said (to lazy to look back) you can get a lot more tractor for your buck on the used market.

You can get something like this :

for less than half the price of the new tractors you have listed... and its twice the tractor.
Dont underestimate it just because its 25 years old.

You want to mow down 13 acres of hay and I am not sure if any of those tractors you have listed are large enough to pull even the smallest haybine, never mind a diskbine. You would have to go old school and use a sickle bar..... but maybe that's what your planning anyway.

at least that's what I would do anyway.
I already have a smallish tractor an 8n, an older compact JD650, and then a large JD 70, I have the older machines and know what it takes to keep those going, I also have new machines, it is very nice to just know I don't have to have lines made up/replaced, or whatever.

I do understand what you say about it being more machine....but it is really more then I need, and more then I want to feed. My JD650, little Yanmar 3cyl diesel. A really great little tractor but it is having some issues, center PTO is dead, expensive fix, rims rusted don't make them anymore, and is having over heating issues. This machine was perfect for my needs, it would run a full weekend on a tank of fuel....the larger machines are much more thirsty.

You misunderstand on the hay....I am not going to do it anymore, so it is really going to be just a large "yard". The stumps I am talking about digging up have been done with a small Kioti tractor with a loader so I know the size for the work I need done and not over kill. That is a nice little machine but still no dealer support in my area.

If for some reason I need a larger machine I can borrow a real backhoe for anything that is just too big.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #289
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
I already have a smallish tractor an 8n, an older compact JD650, and then a large JD 70, I have the older machines and know what it takes to keep those going, I also have new machines, it is very nice to just know I don't have to have lines made up/replaced, or whatever.

I do understand what you say about it being more machine....but it is really more then I need, and more then I want to feed. My JD650, little Yanmar 3cyl diesel. A really great little tractor but it is having some issues, center PTO is dead, expensive fix, rims rusted don't make them anymore, and is having over heating issues. This machine was perfect for my needs, it would run a full weekend on a tank of fuel....the larger machines are much more thirsty.

You misunderstand on the hay....I am not going to do it anymore, so it is really going to be just a large "yard". The stumps I am talking about digging up have been done with a small Kioti tractor with a loader so I know the size for the work I need done and not over kill. That is a nice little machine but still no dealer support in my area.

If for some reason I need a larger machine I can borrow a real backhoe for anything that is just too big.
Ahh...ok. I just read 13 acres of hay, moving rocks, compact tractor and scratched my head thinking all those things don't belong in the same sentence.

I was born and raised on a dairy farm so what I have pictured is what I consider a small tractor. I wish you luck and some of those small tractors look like a lot of fun for light work.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #290
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
I bought a very used but not abused 1960 Massey Ferguson Model 65 tractor with a FEL off Craigslist for $3k. I bought it to clean up my yard after building my addition and to help move retaining wall blocks for the wall I was planning to build. I have a small suburban yard of only 1/2 acre but I've managed to keep the tractor busy. I almost let it go but figured that I would hang onto it for the winter. That was three years ago. Boy that bastard can move some snow. My neighbors used to pick on my "ugly" tractor until we got 30" of snow and the town didn't come plow us out for three days. I had everyone plowed out and all of the snow piles moved I even plowed 600' of street curb to curb. Now my tractor isn't so ugly.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #291
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I have a MF1643. Bought it new almost 3 years ago now. I have no regrets at all. The new 1700 series replaces the 1600 series with basically same hp, but with turbo diesels now. At least thats what I read on the MF website. I use my 1643 on my farm year round. I have no problems cutting and baling hay with it. The loader is pretty stout as well. It has its limits of course as there are some things I cannot do with it around here that I do require a larger tractor for. Anyway, I looked at Kubota and JD and NH. From what I have heard, MF and Kubota are made across the street from each other in Japan, but I am not certain of this. I have no regrets with buying the MF. I was biased as I grew up around MF's and IH's. They pretty much all have the same financing. Yes, using their money for free was an easy choice for me. Good luck with whichever one you decide to buy. I think they are all fine machines, except for too much plastic on the JD's. I never even considered the Mahindra as I need to be able to count on my machines to work, and work well.
RoverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #292
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGS View Post
I have a MF1643. Bought it new almost 3 years ago now. I have no regrets at all. The new 1700 series replaces the 1600 series with basically same hp, but with turbo diesels now. At least thats what I read on the MF website. I use my 1643 on my farm year round. I have no problems cutting and baling hay with it. The loader is pretty stout as well. It has its limits of course as there are some things I cannot do with it around here that I do require a larger tractor for. Anyway, I looked at Kubota and JD and NH. From what I have heard, MF and Kubota are made across the street from each other in Japan, but I am not certain of this. I have no regrets with buying the MF. I was biased as I grew up around MF's and IH's. They pretty much all have the same financing. Yes, using their money for free was an easy choice for me. Good luck with whichever one you decide to buy. I think they are all fine machines, except for too much plastic on the JD's. I never even considered the Mahindra as I need to be able to count on my machines to work, and work well.
I have not bought a NEW tractor....well ever, my first was a Farmall H IIRC, then I got the 70 with the wide front end, and then the rest. The old 70 is really a stout machine with tons of grunt....but it is gas and really thirsty. In this day in age of $3+ a gallon gas it is just insane to run. The little 650 was used about every day hour display died around 4000 hours or so....it has been a good machine and is why I am thinking about JD again.....but like you said so much plastic.

My friends Mahindra has had so many engine problems...I was under the impression that Mitsubishi diesels are good engines but his has been problems....has had problems with just about every bit of hydraulic....thing...on the tractor....no thanks.

Looking at the MF looks like it could be a nice machine, but the only dealer is about 1hr away, not too bad, but there is only 1...I have about 2 JD in that range....but 1 is a bunch of A-holes. I also like the MF 0% for 72 months....hard to pass on free money.

The Kubota....they are the only ones that make everything....I like that, but there are some things I don't like about them...the hydro pedals, one cylinder on the bucket. Someone said you have to rig a thumb for the back hoe as one is not offered ....sounds odd for such a popular machine...and I got a bizzilon RR ties to move and those things are HEAVY.

Then it will HAVE to mow, be that a pull behind finish mower or a belly mower I really am on the fence on that. Not keen on having all that extra crap (loader/backhoe) bouncing around while mowing....with the kid driving, so it has to be easy to go on and off....so much to think about and I am rambling.....

This is going to be the only NEW machine I will buy so I want it to be right.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #293
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,484
What about the New Hollands? They make a competitive tractor to the 'botas.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #294
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,989
Quote:
I have not bought a NEW tractor....well ever, my first was a Farmall H IIRC, then I got the 70 with the wide front end, and then the rest. The old 70 is really a stout machine with tons of grunt....but it is gas and really thirsty. In this day in age of $3+ a gallon gas it is just insane to run. The little 650 was used about every day hour display died around 4000 hours or so....it has been a good machine and is why I am thinking about JD again.....but like you said so much plastic.

My friends Mahindra has had so many engine problems...I was under the impression that Mitsubishi diesels are good engines but his has been problems....has had problems with just about every bit of hydraulic....thing...on the tractor....no thanks.

Looking at the MF looks like it could be a nice machine, but the only dealer is about 1hr away, not too bad, but there is only 1...I have about 2 JD in that range....but 1 is a bunch of A-holes. I also like the MF 0% for 72 months....hard to pass on free money.

The Kubota....they are the only ones that make everything....I like that, but there are some things I don't like about them...the hydro pedals, one cylinder on the bucket. Someone said you have to rig a thumb for the back hoe as one is not offered ....sounds odd for such a popular machine...and I got a bizzilon RR ties to move and those things are HEAVY.

Then it will HAVE to mow, be that a pull behind finish mower or a belly mower I really am on the fence on that. Not keen on having all that extra crap (loader/backhoe) bouncing around while mowing....with the kid driving, so it has to be easy to go on and off....so much to think about and I am rambling.....

This is going to be the only NEW machine I will buy so I want it to be right.
I know on my little Kubota the thumb is offered and it can be a hydraulic or fixed. The backhoe comes off and goes on quite easily but I can only get a pull behind finish mower with it.

ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #295
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
As far as mowing goes, I've cut 20 plus acres at a time with a 6' brush hog. Tractor never skipped a beat, I think it only ever bogged down one time, but that was because I ran over some buried round bale twine piles. My dealer is also over an hour away. Fortunately, knock on wood, I've only had to take it to dealer once for service. A line cracked on the bottom side of the tractor and since it was under warranty I loaded it up and took it to the dealer. I wouldn't let distance be a major factor in your choice.
The loader on mine is rated for 2000 lbs. There has been a time or two when I moved something that was over that and the tractor didn't flinch. I wouldn't do that as a matter of course but the couple times I did it was fine, no problems.
With the winter we have had up here and the amount of snow, I would be up a creek without a tractor with a loader.
I've had older tractors as well, but after having the last one needing so many repairs and up keep, it made sense to me to buy a new one. I couldn't stand not having a reliable machine when I really needed it.
MF makes everything a Kubota does. Well when I say make, they have them available in MF red. They have a 3 point bucket that looks reliable and easy off and on like the loader. But I wouldn't be able to say for sure. Good luck, take pictures of whichever one you decide to get.
RoverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #296
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
Someone at Mahindra is reading this thinking 'all that money we spent on Moto3 and we STILL can't get these motorcycle guys on board....'
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #297
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,112
I'll echo what I've said before. I LOVE my Kubota. (L3540) I just plowed some serious snow with it and it never ceases to amaze me. Great build quality. The neighbors have been flagging me down for little projects (like moving mountains of packed snow) and I'm "on call" for neighborhood plowing for the next few weeks because the neighbor that usually does it is out of town. It almost makes it fun!
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #298
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,175
On days like today the compact JD is the ticket!!!

6' blade, 5' blower and hydrostatic trans makes quick work of 20" snow. Bailed out two neighbors with hobbyist plows on their Jeeps.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #299
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
BX series

One reason I picked the BX-23 I have was the integral backhoe none of the others had any thing like it

As for small it is only 4' wide great in the woods I "skid" logs back to the cabin with it.

I curl logs in the hoe swing it to side and if its too long Imake it front heavy and chain it to loader bucket I try and avoid that because that means getting out of seat (I'm lazy) this way the logs aren't dragging on ground to pick up dirt to dull saw.
When i cut the logs I pick them up with loader to waste high to save bending (I'm getting old).

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #300
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 879
+1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
One reason I picked the BX-23 I have was the integral backhoe none of the others had any thing like it

As for small it is only 4' wide great in the woods I "skid" logs back to the cabin with it.

I curl logs in the hoe swing it to side and if its too long Imake it front heavy and chain it to loader bucket I try and avoid that because that means getting out of seat (I'm lazy) this way the logs aren't dragging on ground to pick up dirt to dull saw.
When i cut the logs I pick them up with loader to waste high to save bending (I'm getting old).

tom
That is a great freaking trick, Tom. I love my BX-23. thanks for those ideas, and any more you get. I just did the maintenance on it yesterday.

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: