Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #301
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,688
BX is pretty high on the list.

Huge farm show this weekend, the big guys are to have their little tractors there.

Plans are to go down and get good impressions on each. Another thing that is going to weigh in heavy is just how hard it is go get on and off. Feels like each day I get more and more like a rusty screen door.

JD was pretty low and easy to step through....going to check out the others....it will be real nice to see them all in one sitting with hungry Mfg's. hanging around waiting on my beck and call....if they even want to talk to a guy looking at toy tractors.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #302
Washpa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have had a Kubota BX1830 for 6-7 years. MMM, 54" plow and box blade. I use for mowing, snow removal and driveway maintenance. More money than I wanted to spend at the time but looking back it was worth it. It has never had one issue that I didn't create.
Washpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #303
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washpa View Post
I have had a Kubota BX1830 for 6-7 years. MMM, 54" plow and box blade. I use for mowing, snow removal and driveway maintenance. More money than I wanted to spend at the time but looking back it was worth it. It has never had one issue that I didn't create.
Kubota seems to be very popular, and I like how they MAKE EVERYTHING.

There is a JD at one of the dealers near work. Used... with .4 hrs....how the F do you use something for .4 hrs.

18.5k IIRC with loader and backhoe. in my price range.

Want to see them all at the show but if it is there next week I will stop by.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #304
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
....how the F do you use something for .4 hrs.
Run it for 24 minutes then turn it off.

My neighbor keeps doing my driveway with his 4x4 diesel John Deere with a 5 foot pto blower on it. I go out there with my puny snow blower and he just rolls over and does the entire thing in five minutes. Nice to have neighbors with big toys!
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #305
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Kubota seems to be very popular, and I like how they MAKE EVERYTHING.

There is a JD at one of the dealers near work. Used... with .4 hrs....how the F do you use something for .4 hrs.

18.5k IIRC with loader and backhoe. in my price range.

Want to see them all at the show but if it is there next week I will stop by.
I have a BX2200 that is at least 12 years old and stored in a garage. I bought it used with about 80 hours in it and it now has almost 400 on it. 54" deck, bucket, 50" front mount blower, 5' Woods rear scraper blade, Land Pride PHD, weight box, weights, chains. I put an alternator kit on it from Kubota so I can run some lights in the winter.

I mow about 1/4 acre, driveway is paved, 4500sf and quite steep, drilled around 50 post holes with it and done many hours moving material with the bucket.

It has always done everything I have asked of it with normal maintenance. I have only had one surprise break down when a hydraulic line popped, but that was a result of poor installation by the dealer.

Not a large tractor, but capable and enough for what I need and it has been reliable, good dealer support. I don't think you will dig a lot, or very fast with a BX, and backhoe attachment. I would suggest moving up to a B series if you are planning on a lot of backhoe work over time.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #306
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

For digging it is really going to be stumps (pretty small), a burn pit, and a little work around my runoff pond. I am also going to do my rifle range up the way I really want. I currently have it built out of RR ties with dirt inside....I want to expand that, make a (U) out of the RR ties (this is where the thumb comes in) and get it a little flatter, taller wider with a better roof to catch all the splatter Currently it is 4 RR ties across, 6 high and two deep...then dirt in front of that.

I am likely to make the buy if not at the show, then by next weekend I would think.

I will let you all know how everything goes.....thinking about starting a blog on the entire thing....hope to keep it more updated then I have with my VW restoration.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #307
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,701
i had a BX22 (with Backhoe) for a number of years, and its a solid, well built great little tractor. Key word is LITTLE. I wanted that tractor to do it all, and it can - but it's a lousy lawn mower with a 60" center deck, does a lot of scalping and that deck is a real pain to get on and off. Then it never really had enough power to push that backhoe the way I wanted to dig, forget about stumps with it.

Had I to do it over again (I'm on 5 acres, 2 mow-able) I'd get a dedicated Zero Turn for finish mowing - because they are really good at it, and fast. Then a bigger tractor with FEL and Backhoe so you can really get the buckets going. If you have rough grass to mow, then a tow-behind attachment to the tractor.

If you do decide to get just one tractor to do it all, choose carefully on your tires. I started out with turf tires to protect the grass, but had to go to AG because turf tires with a FEL (even on 4WD) just mean spin and no scoop worth a dang in the dirt. Once again, another argument for two machines, one to mow - one to do tractor stuff. Good luck!
slowinfastout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #308
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Problem with my "yard" is the entire thing is a field. I can't mow at full speed on the mowers I have now....not because of the cut but because it will toss you off. There is one area where you really can't mow. They kept cattle there years ago and it is a moon scape....you could not close your eyes and walk there. I lift the brush hog about 6" off the ground and make about 4 passes....and I will still bust shear pins if the tractor falls in a hole or something....somewhere along the line I cracked the gear box housing....now it leaks oil like anything....hope to take that off and try to fix it before the season really gets here.

Everyone always says you need a zero turn it is so much faster....not at my house its not....and a ferris will fall in a hole and scalp but still jar your teeth out....been there done that. So I just go slow.

Still looking to borrow a tiller to fix some of it....don't think I would need it over a day.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #309
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Well went to the Missouri Western Farm Show on Saturday, WOW TONS of people there. And good old Kansas City charged you $7 to park....more then the cost to get in.

It covered pretty much the entire "new" building by Kemper/American Royal.

I looked at everything and I do mean everything some very cool toys down there. As far as tractors go we looked at the little tractors Kubota BX, John Deere 1series, and the largest we looked at was JD 2series, New Holland Boomer sized tractors. The price difference between the little ones and the next size up is really not that much, just a few thousand....and the JD 2 series has drive over deck's as well.

They are however just a little bigger....and I am not sure I really need bigger. Working around the house, back filling around the barns and such, and in the woods I am really thinking I would be better served with the smaller machine.....but like Tim Taylor always said....MORE POWER.

I had not seen a Kubota BX in the flesh (or should I say metal) before and came away very impressed. That is one very well high quality machine. After looking at the JD 1series, I just thought why did they make this thing out of plastic....it is almost like they don't want you to buy it.....and they really don't. They kept trying to push the larger machines. Where Kubota, was happy to just ask questions on what I wanted the machine to do. I made a very clear effort to not ask about a specific size but to list tasks and see what was suggested. JD wanted to put me in a 3 series, then down to the 2 after they found out I wanted to do a bit of mowing and wanted the drive over deck. Kubota and Mahandra put me in the smaller machines. MF again into the larger...even larger then Deere machines. I just got the impression they did not have faith in their little machines. Where Kubota said the little machine will do everything you want to, but the larger will just do it a LITTLE faster. I am not moving wet round bails any longer....I don't need that kind of power.

Right now leaning very heavy to the BX, but...yea I am still very undecided...this will likely be the last tractor I will buy, should I get the larger machine.....another down side to the larger machine is they are taller, and much harder for me with my bad back to get on, and worse to get off of.

Anyway, it was a real fun show, I saw everything I was interested in, the orange community seems to be very happy with their machines....where the green seems to justify their machines.

I plan on putting one of these in my barn by the end of March....I will keep you all updated.

Took some videos of the machines and a few pics, I may upload them later if they are worth anything.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #310
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
When I was shopping for a 30 hp tractor, I looked at all the top tier rigs,
they were just more money than I was comfortable spending. A friend suggested I look at Kioti, after doing that I was really impressed with the fit and finish, I ended up buying one and have been very happy with it and have had zero problems with it.
I believe most of the smaller tractors are made off shore anyway.
One of your major considerations should be having a good dealer that's not too far away. It doesn't do a lot of good to get a great deal and have to drive 100 miles to get service. Just my 2 cents.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #311
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
I've had and operated several smaller tractors in life and I'm always impressed with the quality of a Kubota over a Deere. Just my experience...

I'm sure Deere's big stuff is better, but some of these little tractors feel really junky.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #312
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:

They are however just a little bigger....and I am not sure I really need bigger. Working around the house, back filling around the barns and such, and in the woods I am really thinking I would be better served with the smaller machine.....but like Tim Taylor always said....MORE POWER.
Sometimes my tractor is just a bit too big to maneuver they way I would like, sometimes it isn't as powerful as I would like. I figure that means I have the right size. My point being that no matter what you get, sometimes you will wish it were bigger. Or smaller. Based on what you wrote, I would go for the smaller one. Seems like it would be best on a day-to-day basis.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #313
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
I spent a lot of time looking at tractors prior to making a purchase . My first tractor was a small older Kubota 17hp std trans . It was a good tractor , just proved a bit too small for the job . I did more research prior to the next purchase , and Kubota came out on top again . I have had this Kubota L3400HST for several years now . It is a good machine , and a good size for my needs . It would have been nice to keep the smaller tractor , but a lack of funds made that impossible .
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #314
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Agco?

I am in the same boat as many of you- looking for a 30-40 hp 4x4 tractor with FEL. Need it to be a do it all machine- loader, moving hay, tiller, field plow....

I have been seriously considering the LS tractors. Good features, good price, dealer is 5 miles away. The G series 33hp is $15k, the G series 38 is $16k.

My dilemma- I want a full size tractor with 35-45hp and a bucket that will lift at least 1500lbs or more to full height, but want to spend $10-15k Yes, I know......

The G series looks good, but the R series in LS or the Kubota L3400 or L3800's are what I want.

So, at the Agco/Massey/LS/McCormick dealer last saturday and up pulls a 7 year old 47hp Agco SL47a that looks almost brand new. Has everything I want and then some-- big quick detach bucket on the front, 4x4, sun canopy, and even hydro (something I never thought was in the budget).for $15k out the door. More than I hoped for, more and better than I need....

Seems like a good deal, 600 hours on it-- but it's Agco (now marketed under the MAssey name). Dealer says parts are no problem. Cant find much info on them anywhere other than the corporate story.

I'm thinking yes What do you guys think?
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #315
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

From all the research I have done there are what they call "gray market tractors" then tractors for the American market. As long as it is really (REALLY) an Massey and not a gray market tractor with massey stickers on it then you are ok.

I have read more about this crap then I care to admit....my head is swimming. All kinds of funny things can happen if you own a gray market tractor....They are always cheaper, sometimes parts are easy, sometimes you just can't get them. Sometimes a dealer will work on it, other times other dealers will not touch it as it will violate their agreement. I even read a story of the FEDS coming to see the guy wanting tax money and to take the tractor for emissions testing....emissions testing that the owner was going to have to pay for....of course he could just have the machine crushed.

My two bits would be to take care in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
I am in the same boat as many of you- looking for a 30-40 hp 4x4 tractor with FEL. Need it to be a do it all machine- loader, moving hay, tiller, field plow....

I have been seriously considering the LS tractors. Good features, good price, dealer is 5 miles away. The G series 33hp is $15k, the G series 38 is $16k.

My dilemma- I want a full size tractor with 35-45hp and a bucket that will lift at least 1500lbs or more to full height, but want to spend $10-15k Yes, I know......

The G series looks good, but the R series in LS or the Kubota L3400 or L3800's are what I want.

So, at the Agco/Massey/LS/McCormick dealer last saturday and up pulls a 7 year old 47hp Agco SL47a that looks almost brand new. Has everything I want and then some-- big quick detach bucket on the front, 4x4, sun canopy, and even hydro (something I never thought was in the budget).for $15k out the door. More than I hoped for, more and better than I need....

Seems like a good deal, 600 hours on it-- but it's Agco (now marketed under the MAssey name). Dealer says parts are no problem. Cant find much info on them anywhere other than the corporate story.

I'm thinking yes What do you guys think?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: