Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #346
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Another HUGE advantage of the smaller tractor, is that implements are a WHOLE LOT cheaper than they are for the larger tractors.
Backhoe was $3,000 more expensive on the 3 series JD then on the 1 series. I don't remember the Kubota.
And then to take it off the JD you had to get on your back with a wrench to take it off.....ahh no thank you.

I am moving RR ties and brush, fallen branches, dead trees....again I did not need anything with huge power.

But a huge skid loader with 8K lbs+ of brakeout force and one of those attachments that rip trees out by the roots would be a real time saver.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #347
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
...Ever heard the term... "Work smarter not harder" Honestly, I can't understand why you would ever lift something by hand to place it on something else, when you have a loader and grapple that you can finesse to do almost anything...
Absolutely - and again I'm not intending to flame or threadjack.

It just seemed to take a long time to pick up each RR tie with the grapple and that seems almost tedious to me.

I'm a bigger guy (6'2", ~300 lbs) with a background (many years ago) of weighlifting. I'd probably opt for one size bigger on the tractor (drooling over the B Series right now) and get some upper body exercise moving RR ties by hand (or at least loading them on something).

The small BX is tres cool, make no mistake.

Bottom line is ultimately any compact tractor I get will see snow removal duty and the added weight and size of a B would serve better where we own property (over the BX).
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #348
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,352
Been following this thread for a long time...finally joined the CUT club....

JD 790, 4wd, 3 cyl Yanmar diesel, 600 hours. My wife bleeds green, so JD was the only option

We got a bunch of stuff with it: pallet forks, 5 foot JD rototiller, 5 foot brush hog, York rake and a weight box.

We only have a few acres, but we have many upcoming projects...we are adding a patio that will require a lot of dirt be moved, french drain, yard drainage trenches, cleaning up a field - leveling it - adding trees etc., small motorbike track, changing the driveway around, etc, etc. Not sure we will keep it in the long term, but for the next few years we will sure get our use out of it.

We have been managing with this and will keep it for mowing.

I also made a box blade for the 425 - which we really get a lot of use out of
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #349
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher View Post
Been following this thread for a long time...finally joined the CUT club....

JD 790, 4wd, 3 cyl Yanmar diesel, 600 hours. My wife bleeds green, so JD was the only option

We got a bunch of stuff with it: pallet forks, 5 foot JD rototiller, 5 foot brush hog, York rake and a weight box.
Looks great, and a few questions: Those supports sticking up on each side, I assume you have a connector for the top, to create an effective roll bar? And 4WD... I always wondered how helpful that is on a small or midsize tractor? With diesel torque going to the large read wheels, what advantage does power to the front wheels give? Is the steering sluggish as a result?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #350
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Looks great, and a few questions: Those supports sticking up on each side, I assume you have a connector for the top, to create an effective roll bar? And 4WD... I always wondered how helpful that is on a small or midsize tractor? With diesel torque going to the large read wheels, what advantage does power to the front wheels give? Is the steering sluggish as a result?
I have to take the top of the roll bar off to get it in the garage, I was just putting it away when I took this pic.

I am not too sure about how much additional traction those fronts add. I suppose with the front bucket full they might help a lot. Somebody told me that the big advantage of the 4wd drive was that the front wheels tended to stay on top of mud rather than sink in. Have not really played with it enough yet to know for sure, but given the mud I have been through so far it seems like you would have to work at it to get it stuck even in 2wd. Steering on soft/slick surfaces is better with the 4wd engaged, especially when using differential braking. Other than that I can't really tell.
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #351
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Wanted to move this back to the top. I have been keeping a running log on my new little tractor over on tractor by net:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ota-bx25d.html

I did not want to double enter anything, and I think this is really the only place that has a running day by day (99% of everything I do on the machine is logged in here) on a little tractor. I thought about making a blog, but figured that this is a real popular tractor site and it will get more traffic over there.

I did ruffle a few feathers over there, when shopping.....seems like with motorcycles some people think that unless it is big it is not a real machine.

Girl at work just passed her motorcycle safety class and wanted a bike. She rode XT225 and Honda Rebels in her class. And she LOVED them, loved the bikes and loved to ride, I am the only one that told her to buy one. Get a nice clean used bike and if you want to move up in a year or so you can sell it for what you paid today if you keep it clean. Her boyfriend told her to get a Harley, other people she knows (pirates) told her that anything less then 800cc will not be safe in traffic. She buys a 1200cc Harley, rides it once, she hates it, and sells it the next year.

Seems that tractor people think the same way, that a small tractor can't do the work. Part of the thread is to show everything the machine can and has done.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #352
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Wanted to move this back to the top. I have been keeping a running log on my new little tractor over on tractor by net:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ota-bx25d.html

I did not want to double enter anything, and I think this is really the only place that has a running day by day (99% of everything I do on the machine is logged in here) on a little tractor. I thought about making a blog, but figured that this is a real popular tractor site and it will get more traffic over there.

I did ruffle a few feathers over there, when shopping.....seems like with motorcycles some people think that unless it is big it is not a real machine.

Girl at work just passed her motorcycle safety class and wanted a bike. She rode XT225 and Honda Rebels in her class. And she LOVED them, loved the bikes and loved to ride, I am the only one that told her to buy one. Get a nice clean used bike and if you want to move up in a year or so you can sell it for what you paid today if you keep it clean. Her boyfriend told her to get a Harley, other people she knows (pirates) told her that anything less then 800cc will not be safe in traffic. She buys a 1200cc Harley, rides it once, she hates it, and sells it the next year.

Seems that tractor people think the same way, that a small tractor can't do the work. Part of the thread is to show everything the machine can and has done.
Tractor size is a bit of a trade off. Bigger tractors lift more and generally work a faster lifting and digging. Smaller tractors don't tear up your yard as much and are more maneuverable. My BX has done everything I have asked of it and I can only think of one time that I wished it was bigger.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #353
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Theres a guy who dug out his whole basement with radio controlled scale model excavators, dump trucks, and dozers.

It doesn't matter how big or small, it just takes longer.

(Aside from lift/pull capacity and PTO equipment that requires more power)
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #354
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
>"And 4WD... I always wondered how helpful that is on a small or midsize tractor?"

IMHO: 4WD is essential... if you have hills on your property.
2WD is good on flat land.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #355
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"And 4WD... I always wondered how helpful that is on a small or midsize tractor?"

IMHO: 4WD is essential... if you have hills on your property.
2WD is good on flat land.
Even with no hills, There has been times with both the new Kubota and the older JD650 that moving that lever has made the machine move. Flat ground pulling stuff out, drag stuff. It is something I decided I needed to have when shopping for a replacement to the JD650....and I ended up keeping the JD anyway.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #356
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Even with no hills, There has been times with both the new Kubota and the older JD650 that moving that lever has made the machine move. Flat ground pulling stuff out, drag stuff. It is something I decided I needed to have when shopping for a replacement to the JD650....and I ended up keeping the JD anyway.
This,

4WD is very important on a smaller. lighter tractor. Snow blowing and plowing, even mowing on uneven terrain 4 WD is the way to go. I mow part of my lawn in 4WD because it is steep.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #357
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Pictures FAgco ST47a

Well how do you like that? I have had this thing for 6 weeks and haven't posted a picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

I love this thing- plowed our 1 acre garden, tilled it, and planted in about 4 hours.

Drilled about 75 4" post holes for the fence, along with about 25 or so corner and brace posts

It's been fun, almost too much fun to call work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
Well- the Agco ST47 followed me home last Saturday. I have only put 4 hours on it this week so far and absolutely love it.

So far:

Drilled a few 12" holes for the corner posts for our new fence.

Pulled a 10' telephone pole out of the ground (buried 4' in the ground)

Gave the kids a bazillion rides

Taught my 3 daughters how to drive it, so they can do chores

Next up:

Drill 400 4" posts, and 35 8-9" posts.

Build the Mountain Bike/MX track Designing that now!

Till the garden (about 1 acre)

I've used tractors before, but can't believe I have used our BCS/Grillio for so long. How dumb is that!

I am out of town for the next few days- Ill post some pics later this weekend.
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #358
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
I have stuck more than one full sized 2WD farm tractor in mud while plowing because the ground in a particular area was too wet.

Back then (I was a young teenager - late 60s) there were not many 4WD tractors around - mostly they were the big articulated steering tractors, if that.

Sometimes you would see smaller ones used in dairies and so on - usually because they were used to move manure around the barns, and that is very slick shit on concrete.

Anymore I would not bother to buy a 2WD tractor - the 4WD is just too useful for almost anything I would use a tractor for except perfectly dry flat terrain where I was pulling or pushing something heavy.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #359
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
With a loader on the front, filled, not enough on the rear tires. 4WD is needed. In 2WD it will just spin tires in reverse. Might be able to get away with wheel weights, but 4WD just makes life so much easier. I can't count the number of times where I had a 2WD issue with either a full loader bucket or trying to pull something and it went from not going to happen to no problem by moving that one lever into 4WD.

Unless there is a reason why 2WD is desired, 4WD is the only way to fly on these little lightweight machines.

One of the more creative crutches I have seen for a 2WD tractor with a loader, a 55-gallon drum on the 3-point filled with all the heavy junk he could find just to keep weight on the drive tires.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #360
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I look at 4wd a little like hydrostat. Do you HAVE to have it....well no, is it something that once you do have it you could not live without...heck yes.

In shopping for my new machine I actually looked at gear tractors....on one of the models I looked at it was $2000 more for the hydrostat....that is a lot of money for one "extra". Heck I could get my chipper for that. In the end I went with hydro and am very glad I did, you have just so much control with the speed, you may think you don't need it as everything you have ever done in the past is with gears, but trust me once you have it you will wonder how you lived without it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: