Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #451
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
A fair number of the tractors I've seen used, of all brands, have Woods backhoes.

Are they better, worse, or the same as the OEM Kubota or Manhindra or Kiote backhoes?
I think it's a matter of opinion. As you mentioned, you see a lot of them out there so they can't be all that bad. The dealer I bought a new Kubota from also sells Woods and told me that they sell whatever the person feels is a better value.

When the manufacturers have their 0% deals you have to take the brand name to get it. If you're paying cash you can save money with the Woods. YMMV.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #452
withoutaride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
A fair number of the tractors I've seen used, of all brands, have Woods backhoes.

Are they better, worse, or the same as the OEM Kubota or Manhindra or Kiote backhoes?
Quite a number of implements available for various tractor manufacturers are made by Woods and then branded with the tractor manufacturers name.
withoutaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #453
Concow Mower
Wild Doggie

Oddometer: 224
Frame vs 3 Pt Hitch Mount Backhoes

Garandman, when I was doing my "due dilligence" back in the day just before we got our Ford 1320, I looked at most everything out there. We ended up getting a small Ford Backhoe attachment for the 1320 and it engages the frame and rear axle to mount. Some of the after market backhoes may be installed on the tractor via the 3 point hitch mounts. As I understood it, this can place great stress on the 3 pt. hitch components that it might not have been designed to take?? I am somewhat hazy about all this but I know but I am just saying a backhoe attachment with a the tractor frame & rear axle might be a better bet.

As I recall, some of the 3 pt hitch mount backhoes may have a self contained hydro system where the 540 PTO shaft drives the pump for the backhoe. Guess that could be good or bad depending on your point of view?

It's all good and fun!
Cheers
Dave
Concow Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #454
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,436
I bought mine not too long ago, so let me give you some of the things I came away with in looking at SUB compact tractors (Kubota BX, MF GC, John Deere 1 series....)

New Holland/Ford, they really don't make anything in this size anymore...from what I gather all of the machines in this class is made by the Korean company LS.

John Deere 1 Series, Great little machine, Yanmar engine....who knows where the other stuff came from. I own a JD650, an older 80's version of the tractor...I could not find parts for it, John Deere told me to talk to Yanmar as it really was a Yanmar tractor, Yanmar told me to talk to Deere....I finally found what I needed used. I doubt I will ever buy another Deere because of this experience.

Massey....I liked this machine, a little cheaper then the JD or Kubota, but felt a little cheaper as well. It is made in Japan, but I can't remember the company....I also don't remember the engine they use.

Kubota, they make everything....I liked that so I bought that. Some thgins I don't like the treddle peddle system, and the position onf the loader control. other then that it has been a great machine but I only have a few ticks over 100hrs on it in the 5 months I have owned it.

Mahendra, just did not care for them, something just felt cheap, and would not hold up....I do freely admit that I could feel this way because of the experience with them a friend of mine has.

TYM makes the Cabelas machines, I think they are Korean as well...they look like they give you a lot for your money, and from what I understand are very hungry.

There are a few others out there, I know Cub is made by Yanmar, and I don't remember who the old Bob Cats are made by but I really liked that size of machine. I wanted new when I bought so those did not enter the picture at the time, but I think Cub is doing them again.

I found the abilities of the machines I was looking at to be very close to each other.

Hope this helps.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #455
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
I think Kioti makes the Bobcats.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #456
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Been talking to the Kubota dealer about the right tractor for a heavily wooded 12 acre lot with a 200 yard gravel drive, brush, trees, rocks and stumps. To the choice between B series and an L3200 and he said, "If you need a front-mount snow thrower, get the B series. Otherwise get the L."

Still mulling the backhoe. I can use a brush cutter and front end loader a lot, but it's not clear how often I would use it versus the brush hog or box scraper to level the driveway.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #457
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,019
Pretty sure you can do a front mount snow blower with the Grand L series. I was told I could put one on mine.

Still sticking with my advice to forgo the hoe and rent an excavator once in a while.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #458
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

That is a very nice drive you have there.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #459
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
I have the L3400HST with a FEL. That combo is one dirt working SOB. Also does a fair job of knocking over small trees and larger ones but require chewing on the roots a bit to get em down.

Being in TX, I don't have a need for a snow blower but I don't see why it can't be used on the L series and besides, you'll be working the FEL way more than you'll work the SB. For only 200yds, would a plow be enough?

A hoe would be nice, especially grubbing tree roots but if you're not going to do allot of deforestation, I'd 2nd the rent-as-you-need route.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #460
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

I went up to MB Tractor in Tilton NH today to look at Kubotas. My focus was on the B3300SU and L3200.

Discussed dispensing with the backhoe and he said "Didn't you tell me you have 150 yards of stone wall to mend, and a bunch of tree stumps? How are you going to get those out?" Hmm - backhoe, I guess?

Here are the three I looked at today. From L-R the L3200, B3300SU, and B2620. I didn't realize that almost every model is a different size: I thought the "B" series was just one frame size. The L3200 weighs almost 700 lbs more than the B3300SU.

These sure seems like a good idea.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #461
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I really like the quick detach buckets. I only have the 1 bucket and it's fine for my needs. I do remove the bucket when I have large odd shaped things to lift high or to put in the back of a pick up. Just flip the levers, drop the bucket, use the bar across the lift arms to hook a strap to and I can SEE what I am lifting and exactly where I want to put it.
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #462
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

The dealer told me people are welding up all kinds of devices on their own. In particular, making snow blades.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #463
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
We have quick-attach on all our tractors, and have forks (pallet) for each. We use the forks as much or more than the buckets (we keep all our firewood on pallets). Also have a blade for one of the tractors. I would never buy a tractor without it ever again.
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #464
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
We keep all our firewood on pallets). //
THAT is a GREAT idea!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #465
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
We have quick-attach on all our tractors, and have forks (pallet) for each. We use the forks as much or more than the buckets (we keep all our firewood on pallets). Also have a blade for one of the tractors. I would never buy a tractor without it ever again.
Yea, I have the quick attach on my bucket as well....takes all of 5 min to switch between the bucket and the grapple....and most of that time is hooking up the two lines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: