Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #106
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post
I think so too. i am hesitant to get a post hole digger and back hoe just because those sort of things are easy to rent for the few times I would need them. Used 3 point diggers are easy to get.
It is the augers that are expensive if want a big one say 18-24 inches.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #107
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Progress

Worked with the backhoe all day and then took it off for the first time. Took all of 60 seconds. Mine is a 4-point mount to a sub-frame mounted to the tractor. Where our property is, it is hard to get people out to do backhoe work and it's expensive. Renting is also expensive and the units are normally reserved on the weekends. I have another 5-10 years worth of work to do so having one is great. I guess I just need to rationalize it but having the backhoe so far has been awesome. Having a backhoe with a thumb is even more awesome.

Yes, that's my 2004 KTM950 in the background. It didn't get ridden today.

And mounted the 3 point bars and the PHD today with a 9" auger. I am going to be super careful learning to use it. I have about 35 holes to dig in the next few weekends. I was told to go slow, raise and lower a lot, and vary the speed. I am going to take it easy. One of my neighbors has already inquired about putting fence posts down about 300-400 yards of his fence line as his old wood posts are rotted. I think in about a month I'll mosey over there and do a $2500-3000 job.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #108
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Post hole digging is fun and still hard work. Despite the PHD from the tractor digging the holes, I still lugged the posts and cross rails around. In about 9 hours today I got 21 or 22 posts in and the fence set. About 1/3 of this was removing the old metal fence posts and cutting up the barbed wire. I used some orange twine to ensure I didn't move the fence off the line it was on.

I would not want to do this for a living.

My neighbor Bob stopped by after work and helped a bit. Here's a shot of him moving one of the old fence posts, and concrete supports over to my temporary dumping grounds until i get them over to the dump in a few weeks. I bet that load is at least 500 pounds and took almost 30 minutes to dig out with the front end loader. The backhoe would have been quicker.

The Kubota helped me do in one day what would take a week by hand due to the rocks.

Tom
Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #109
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493

Our 40hp 2003 Holly git'n er dun. Love this little guy.

Nice auger. Mines a POS by comparison. Were thinking about upgrading to a 60hp with the big front wheels and shuttle shift.

Started doing some hay leases and the lil Holly doesn't have the snot for a round baler. Has <500 hrs and just serviced. Pm if you might be interested. I'll probably post it in the classifieds soon.

CodyY screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 11:06 PM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #110
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,529
You're one of those people that has the luxury of digging in dirt.
I had to rent a skid steer with a hydraulic rock drill to do my fence
posts.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #111
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
Well, it is finally starting to dry out a bit and I have been able to dig up quite a few stumps.

The first one was not a pretty thing to watch, but after the next five, I am starting to look a bit smoother on the controls.

I also played with the Ratchet Rake attachment a bit and I am impressed with it so far. Things need to get a bit more dry before I can really run it through its paces.

I have accomplished more in 2 days than I would have in weeks without a tractor. I am loving this.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #112
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj may View Post
Well, it is finally starting to dry out a bit and I have been able to dig up quite a few stumps.

The first one was not a pretty thing to watch, but after the next five, I am starting to look a bit smoother on the controls.

I also played with the Ratchet Rake attachment a bit and I am impressed with it so far. Things need to get a bit more dry before I can really run it through its paces.

I have accomplished more in 2 days than I would have in weeks without a tractor. I am loving this.
I loved backhoe work. Spent time running one for a pipeline. It is so much more fun to dig roots than to bust a nipple off a 1500 psi line.

You must of gotten every wiz bang there was to fit that thing. Nice!
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #113
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post

Our 40hp 2003 Holly git'n er dun. Love this little guy.

Nice auger. Mines a POS by comparison. Were thinking about upgrading to a 60hp with the big front wheels and shuttle shift.

Started doing some hay leases and the lil Holly doesn't have the snot for a round baler. Has <500 hrs and just serviced. Pm if you might be interested. I'll probably post it in the classifieds soon.
If I could.

I'm looking for horse drawn equipment for what I can use them for. (mower,sully plow,potato digger, rake,disk)
Tractor would be nice also.
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #114
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post
If I could.

I'm looking for horse drawn equipment for what I can use them for. (mower,sully plow,potato digger, rake,disk)
Tractor would be nice also.
Yeah but we're trying to make some of our living off these hay leases. Have been subbing it out, but people aren't always as reliable as they need to be.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #115
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
You're one of those people that has the luxury of digging in dirt.
I had to rent a skid steer with a hydraulic rock drill to do my fence
posts.
This was a Craigslist job, four broken shear bolts in 18 holes. This was in the Cedar Hill area, not much dirt to speak of. And fooking HOT that day.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #116
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
Does anyone out there have/use a Ratchet Rake? I am looking for your impressions.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #117
NFW
counterintuitive

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post

I unhooked my backhoe (New Holland 757c) once and left it like that. After a day I couldn't hook the lines back up until I bled off about a quart of fluid. Now I make sure to either set it directly on the ground or up on blocks.
NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #118
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
I unhooked my backhoe (New Holland 757c) once and left it like that. After a day I couldn't hook the lines back up until I bled off about a quart of fluid. Now I make sure to either set it directly on the ground or up on blocks.
BB:

Thanks for the input. It is sitting on a stack of 6x6" blocks now at the front and the back of the main platform. And the dealer said it's best to reconnect it when it's cooler out, like in the morning or evening.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 07:18 PM
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #119
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
By directly on the ground, you mean so there is no weight on the outriggers?

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #120
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Tom

so shiny! and so useful on that beautiful lot of yours.

looks like alot of fun too.

(up here in the PNW we can't plant trees so close to the house- they grow too fast)
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: