Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #121
NFW
counterintuitive

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
By directly on the ground, you mean so there is no weight on the outriggers?
Yes no weight on the outriggers. You might already know but if not... The New Holland has an undercarriage that extends to about the center of the tractor. I get it loose from the tractor and set the undercarriage, boom, and stabilizers on the ground. Shut the tractor off and move all the controls to release any pressure and then unhook the lines.
NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #122
NFW
counterintuitive

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
BB:

Thanks for the input. It is sitting on a stack of 6x6" blocks now at the front and the back of the main platform. And the dealer said it's best to reconnect it when it's cooler out, like in the morning or evening.

Tom
If you cant connect the lines push the center of the male line against something hard to release the pressure. I know it sounds a little dirty.
NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #123
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,320
Jay talks (a little) about his New Holland 4WD Diesel tractor (and about biodiesel, too):

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/fuels/biodiesel-1/
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #124
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
If you cant connect the lines push the center of the male line against something hard to release the pressure. I know it sounds a little dirty.
Thanks, my dealer told me the same. Here's a pic of the BH on it's blocks. I finished installing 240' of split rail fence using the PHD so will remove it next week and (try) to put the BH back on.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #125
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,074
Okay, dealer says, for my wants (loader, bh, blower, box scaper, I need a bigger tractor that won't do a good job as a finish mower and isn't maneuverable enough around flower beds and trees. He suggest a tractor and riding mower. Hell, If i don't mow with the tractor, that probably kills the deal. It's only 3 acres in south nj. But there's trees to be replaced, ditches and sprinkler systems to be dug and patios to be built and flower beds to be done.

What's a right size tractor that's gonna cut the lawn good and still do the fun stuff?

Thanks.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #126
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
BCC, what size tractor are you looking at?

I have a BX25, the smallest Kubota with a standard backhoe/front loader. I have 5 flat acres. 3+ is treed. I also got a 60" mid mower and it seems like I would not want to mow with anything larger. To mow, I would have to take off the FEL and BH.

I used to have an 8N Ford with a 6 foot flail mower and it got too big to get through the yard when things started to grow up.

I have removed 10 stumps in the last week, some were quite large, but the tractor seems equal to any task I have.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #127
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Okay, dealer says, for my wants (loader, bh, blower, box scaper, I need a bigger tractor that won't do a good job as a finish mower and isn't maneuverable enough around flower beds and trees. He suggest a tractor and riding mower. Hell, If i don't mow with the tractor, that probably kills the deal. It's only 3 acres in south nj. But there's trees to be replaced, ditches and sprinkler systems to be dug and patios to be built and flower beds to be done.

What's a right size tractor that's gonna cut the lawn good and still do the fun stuff?

Thanks.
There may seem to be a minor flurry of opportunity to use a backhoe, but after a while that will mostly just sit. You won't want it on the tractor. A loader is always handy, but you won't want to mow with it. That means every time you want to mow you have to take the loader off, or every time you want to use the loader you will have to put it on.

I have over 30 years here in maintaining a 15 acre property that includes a reforestation project. I can't imagine life without a loader tractor. For many years I used a 24 hp Kubota [which I still have] for mowing and loader work. It has a quick detach loader, and I have a 48 inch, rear mounted, 3-spindle finishing mower. The mower does a nice job, but a tractor of any size is not very maneuverable with regard to working around trees, buildings, and other obstructions.

For larger areas I have a 73 hp John Deere with a rear mounted, 84 inch, brush cutter. It also has a quick detach loader.

A backhoe is a very expensive piece. If, as you say, you have this deal-killer aspect to this, then I would suggest that, although you have a kid's excitement about getting a backhoe, you really can't afford one, and like most people, you really don't need it, either.

Buy the tractor and loader and buy a serious mower, meaning a large zero-turn, likely commercial grade. You will mow in literally half the time you could with the tractor. Maybe later buy the post hold digger, or just rent a 3-point attached digger on the few occasions you really need it.

After several decades of mowing with the Kubota I got a Ferris with a 61 inch deck and a 37 hp Kawasaki. The Ferris has suspension. For a long time I had thought I wanted a Scag with a Kubota diesel, since really like Kubota equipment. But, after riding Scag, Gravely, Exmark, any of the conventional, commercial zero turns, and then riding a machine with suspension, there was no way I was going to ride the Scag or anything like it. The mowing services all hire 18 year old kids who can stand getting beat to death all day long. The guy buying the machines doesn't give a shit about the operator.

There is no comparison between a tractor and a zero turn. That is the reason why the commercial mowers all use zero turns. They don't have time to use a tractor.

My suggestion is buy a tractor with quick detach loader and a serious zero turn mower. That is where all your activity will be. After a short time a backhoe would spend all its time lying on the ground and you would regret having spent all that money. Perhaps then, if you felt you had regular need for a post hole digger, which seems unlikely on three acres, you could buy one then, and probably find a nice used one for sale by someone who realized they did not need it either.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #128
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
www.WalkerMowers.com built in Ft. Collins and are amazing pieces of machinery.

Then get yourself a 40hp like mine. Should be able to find one used right about now, folks upgrading to bigger equip.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #129
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

Thanks.
Get a tractor and use a riding mower for the rest. I use an el cheapo Ariens 20HP riding mower with a 46" mowing deck I got from Home Depot. It mows an acre in < 1 hour. It is very maneuverable, low maintenance, and I can often convince my wife to do it. It makes mowing fun and it cost me about $1200. I expect it to last 10 years at least and all I do is sharpen the blades (3) every year and change the oil and filter (Kohler V-Twin motor).

The Kubota is used to do serious work and will also be "hired out" to my neighbors. In the first week I'm pretty sure I've lined up a $3000 fence project (I dig the holes with the PHD) and will do it over the course of 3-4 weekends to make it work schedule wise for me and the property owner; a $250 culvert job ( I use the BH and FEL to dig out the old culvert and lay the new one in place and cover it, they provide the culvert), etc.. As word spreads I expect to get more little jobs like grading driveways, etc.. all of which is easy. I like having the BH but if you live close to a place you can rent one then I would pass.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 07:43 AM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #130
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
www.WalkerMowers.com built in Ft. Collins and are amazing pieces of machinery.

Then get yourself a 40hp like mine. Should be able to find one used right about now, folks upgrading to bigger equip.
Grasshopper also makes front mounts that are high quality machines, even available with Kubota diesels.

NRA life

Marilyn Monroe

Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #131
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
For a yard with a lot of obstacles, consider one of the commerical walk behind mowers, they take up less storage space, you do not need to get off all the time to pick up sticks and stuff, really even faster than a zero turn.

Here is a link to Ferris smply because previously mentioned, but there are a lot of these.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/page...?product_id=32

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #132
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
For a yard with a lot of obstacles, consider one of the commerical walk behind mowers, they take up less storage space, you do not need to get off all the time to pick up sticks and stuff, really even faster than a zero turn.

Here is a link to Ferris smply because previously mentioned, but there are a lot of these.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/page...?product_id=32

Rod
Mowing three acres with a walk behind would be a lot o fun. Not.

I don't pick up sticks. They get shredded.

NRA life

Marilyn Monroe

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #133
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Is there a diesel available smaller than this one? It says briggs diesel but I think it is the same as the maker for the small johndeeres. Have heard engine is available with turbo.

[/I]http://www.simplicitymfg.com/product...pecs/index.cfm

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/product...ors/legacy-xl/
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #134
BCC
I know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj may View Post
BCC, what size tractor are you looking at?

I have a BX25, the smallest Kubota with a standard backhoe/front loader. I have 5 flat acres. 3+ is treed. I also got a 60" mid mower and it seems like I would not want to mow with anything larger. To mow, I would have to take off the FEL and BH.

I used to have an 8N Ford with a 6 foot flail mower and it got too big to get through the yard when things started to grow up.

I have removed 10 stumps in the last week, some were quite large, but the tractor seems equal to any task I have.
My local guy recommended I look at a Club Yanmar ex 2900 tlb or a new holland Boomer 30 or a Holland 1500.

The BX25 is on my list to look at. It looks like a very nice package. Wood it be a big deal to remove/reattach the loader and bh?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #135
BCC
I know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
There may seem to be a minor flurry of opportunity to use a backhoe, but after a while that will mostly just sit. You won't want it on the tractor. A loader is always handy, but you won't want to mow with it. That means every time you want to mow you have to take the loader off, or every time you want to use the loader you will have to put it on.

I have over 30 years here in maintaining a 15 acre property that includes a reforestation project. I can't imagine life without a loader tractor. For many years I used a 24 hp Kubota [which I still have] for mowing and loader work. It has a quick detach loader, and I have a 48 inch, rear mounted, 3-spindle finishing mower. The mower does a nice job, but a tractor of any size is not very maneuverable with regard to working around trees, buildings, and other obstructions.

For larger areas I have a 73 hp John Deere with a rear mounted, 84 inch, brush cutter. It also has a quick detach loader.

A backhoe is a very expensive piece. If, as you say, you have this deal-killer aspect to this, then I would suggest that, although you have a kid's excitement about getting a backhoe, you really can't afford one, and like most people, you really don't need it, either.

Buy the tractor and loader and buy a serious mower, meaning a large zero-turn, likely commercial grade. You will mow in literally half the time you could with the tractor. Maybe later buy the post hold digger, or just rent a 3-point attached digger on the few occasions you really need it.

After several decades of mowing with the Kubota I got a Ferris with a 61 inch deck and a 37 hp Kawasaki. The Ferris has suspension. For a long time I had thought I wanted a Scag with a Kubota diesel, since really like Kubota equipment. But, after riding Scag, Gravely, Exmark, any of the conventional, commercial zero turns, and then riding a machine with suspension, there was no way I was going to ride the Scag or anything like it. The mowing services all hire 18 year old kids who can stand getting beat to death all day long. The guy buying the machines doesn't give a shit about the operator.

There is no comparison between a tractor and a zero turn. That is the reason why the commercial mowers all use zero turns. They don't have time to use a tractor.

My suggestion is buy a tractor with quick detach loader and a serious zero turn mower. That is where all your activity will be. After a short time a backhoe would spend all its time lying on the ground and you would regret having spent all that money. Perhaps then, if you felt you had regular need for a post hole digger, which seems unlikely on three acres, you could buy one then, and probably find a nice used one for sale by someone who realized they did not need it either.
I really appreciate this and the other well thought out responses to my question.

My problem is the 6 motorcycles and 5 bicycles in the garage. If I come home with multiple farm implements and garden toys, she might be suspicious, for some reason.

I'm gonna haft think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: