Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Rich B OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Talking California Dreamin' on some BSA's....

So this starts the ride report that almost wasn't.....a week ago, I was ready to pack it in...long story and not worth repeating here....but the "Cannon Ball Run" I was planning to make this week is now a few hours stuck inside of a kerosene buzzard....

Every year, the BSA Owner's Club holds an "International Rally" somewhere in the world. The 2014 edition is being held in Petaluma CA this year starting this Friday. The rally will attract people from all over the world. Some are even riding from various points to Petaluma. Once at Petaluma, there will be rides, BS, eating, drinking, BS, music, tire kicking, and BS.

This ride report will be a collective effort ( I hope) of various members from ADV who also are enroute to the rally. Or it just may be me boring you to tears with my prose and pictures.....we shall see.

Pics to follow once the trip starts in earnest...hopefully some others will help this ride report along until the kerosene buzzards spits me out in San Francisco Thursday
Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
jabreu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb Good news

Wow I don't own a BSA , But I love em and will be riding my harley there from fairfield. Thanks for the headsup on this event!
jabreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
gorizal
fulltime slacker

Oddometer: 10
when it comes to BSA i'll definitely subscribe!

i once own a 1956 B31, but sadly has to put in sale back in 2007.
worst decision ever, as now here in indonesia it cost more than a 100mil rupiah thats $9000 for a nice and original 1956 BB31 BSA.

lookin forward to your California Dreamin' ride report!!

gorizal
gorizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Rich B OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Well, since some people are already moving, one ride report that is being posted on another site, hopefully I can get Goeff or Sara to start posting here once we meet up later this week. Been too long since I saw this couple.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...gonew=1#UNREAD

Oh and the M20........sounds awesome. Goeff knows how to make a flathead run and sound awesome
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
Hi Rich as you know Geoff and Sara are friends from over here in the UK, And Sara knows as much or more about old motorcycles than most guys I know. Anyway they shipped CAS their M20 outfit to LA a few weeks back, and flew out last Thursday to ride the West coast road up to the BSA international meet...

Hi Kev
Here are some photos of our trip, so far so good.
We got to the PTS warehouse to pick up our bikes to find our petrol tap corks had dried out! I mean dried like a 10 year old currant, George the feller in charge there kindly provided a kettle to boil the corks in, and the job was a good'un. Then we were on our way. There was some other cool stuff in the building as well.

We have cruised through the Los Angeles traffic. no problems using the freeways, we were treated with respect by all the other traffic.
After the first days riding we reached Carpinteria where a minor chain adjustment was required. The two M20's we're put to bed for the night huddled close and chained together.

Day two a short ride to our breakfast stop

Then on to solvang motorcycle museum..
A very nice silver hawk and lots of other really nice bikes

G&S

What we saw on the way
After the museum visit we rode a further 100 miles or so and after an overnight stop and a leisurely start as there was a marathon run further up highway 1 We stopped a few times here is what we saw

Sara & Geoff

And some stunning views...
Somewhere out there is a whale with a calf honestly it is out there the first whale we have seen.
What a superb days riding we have had a new view around every corner and there were plenty of them we are now in Monterey a little saddle sore and rather tired. We are stopping here for two days and then heading further north. More in a few days

Sara and Geoff

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Rich B OP
Studly Adventurer

This was my planned ride for the BSA rally, my 65 BSA Lightning Clubman, all dressed up and no place to go. Stay tuned for pics of what I do get to ride once I get to California

I know some of the people headed west on BSA's are fighting weather on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,806
Trip Prep in PA & Other Postings From The Road 2 The Rally

Here's some pix and details from Wade's preparations for his X-country run to get to the Rally.

I knew Dieter was coming in from Germany to NYC, so I scheduled some
off time, to hang out. I thought Wade was pretty much ready to go and that I would swing by to get Dieter, and take him riding while Wade packed up and loaded the truck. BUT as it turns out, there was still lots to do on the bikes (Wade was taking 4 BSAs along- two for himself, and one each for his bro, and his bud Jamie).

SO we commenced to throwing down a major brekkie, and ambled out to the barn to see what was up. First order of business- get a front brake on teh "new" Goldie (number 27)... this ended in a way that was not necessarily aniticpated- but I'll get to that later.

One thing led to another, and the day was so nice we moved all operations outside.

SO, FINALLY, everyone was satisfied that enough work had been done, and so TIME TO PLAY a little. We all hopped on the bikes to ride over the mountain to Boiling Springs, to the Tavern there for a beer and a bite of late lunch.

BUT:
Turned out that (after ALL the dicking about) Wade's bike Blackie couldn't wouldn't didn't start! So he saddled up on Goldie 27 and off we rolled. A good time was had at the BST, and we parted ways just outside Boiling Springs, them headed off towards Wade's and I headed home along the Yellow Breeches Creek, taking the scenic route.

Got home, tossed my leathers onto the bed, changed into jeans, and went downstairs to watch a movie with Miss C. Little after 11:00 PM, we came up and I checked my phone as I went to charge it up... the cryptic text message from Wade that greeted me about had my eyeballs popping outta my head, and my heart shot up into my throat:

"I smashed up to go start leaving Boiling Springs. Just cuts and bruises so not so bad."

WHAT!?!?!?! THE FUCK!?!?!?!

I called immediately and woke him up to find out what happened. Turns out his front wheel did a fattie death wobble in a right hand sweeper, and he eventually dunked it. I guess they left the bike & went on over the mountain then came back in the truck to get it, a detail I'd forgotten to ask about til the next day.

Eventually they figured out that the front wheel had never really gotten tightened up after changing rims out!

It was damn lucky- that BIKE coulda really been hurt!

Kidding. SO glad Wade is OK

and not too badly banged up. He came thru it mostly intact- tho bruised up quite a bit with somewhat minor cuts and scrapes. Guess he doinked his finger/hand pretty good, and tore up one of his feet a bit (toe?) but no apparent broken bones or major bodily damage. Bike is torqued up a little, with some new dents in the tank and some bent/busted parts- but no major bike damage either!

By now, those guys are beyond the grand Canyon. Wade's been posting pix on f\book and Instagram, and also Jim H is posting stuff on f/book.

Here are a few pix shamelessly stolen from Wade's f/book page.

AND a few pix stolen off Jim H's F/book page as well!

Wade loaded up, and carried Dieter down to Memphis, where he met up with some other PA/Ohio folks, AND our English friends Bryan & Marie- who were planning on riding as much of the way as possible. Here's a pic of the whole crew at some BBQ joint near Memphis.

Oklahoma:

Here's one snatched off another internet site: Some guy from OZ showed up at another dude's place on his Cali walk-about, headed up to Petaluma:

ricochetrider screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 08:00 AM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
ricochetrider
a certain something

Yet another perspective: X Country FAST run on a BSA

Several days on the road so far- from a guy out of Georgia, who does Iron Butt style rides on his 1971 BSA "Thunderwing"!

So, wait a minute .. how are you getting back and forth? You're going to be at the Int'l, and you're riding west, and you're going to be at Blowing Rock? How is all that happening ... ?

Lannis

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
************************************************** ************************************************** ***

I am riding. There is no place I would rather be. There are no guarantees but the attempt must be made. Debts must be paid in Blowing Rock. This has always been the plan.

I pack tomorrow and leave out of Atlanta Sunday AM. I'm promised a spot at with the No Name Man at his Sites (97, 98?) for my tent in Petaluma.

Maintenance is done. I may put the larger bags on from my BMW. They are easier to use.

Well it Sunday morning and there is 46906 showing on the odometer. There are no more reasons to go knocking on Randy Huet or Beno Rodi's door for help fixing something. I have kissed the Sainted Wife and packed till I'm blue in the face.

It's time to go. I cannot for the life of me find out what it is I have forgotten until I suit up put in the iPod and leave.

Today it's the southern route. Rain showers in Alabama and perhaps if I'm lucky, clear sailing through Mississippi and into Texas. The northern route is covered with lines of thunderstorms and hail. I have no desire to come face to face with a wall cloud. I have done that. The decision is made and I am heading south.

Away!

************************************************** ************************************************

Wow it has been blowing all day. Winds out of the south at 25 knots. Now I am safely ensconced in a Microtel just short of Laffeyett LA and it looks like my northern route down I-40 is covered up with tornadoes.

598 miles on the bike today I refueled once just short of Mobile AL. The bike is running great although the high beam circuit quit this afternoon. The highbeam flash works so I suspect a connector under the tank has come loose.

Lucky for me I have the Denali LEDs and they work great.

Looking at the weather tonight but I suspect a continuation of the southern route to El Paso.

Does anybody know where the No Name Man and the rest of the east coast crowd is located tonight. I hope it is not Arkansas!

I am concerned.

Well I missed the weather. But my rear tire went down in San Antonio. Turns out I had a split about 1/4" long about an inch from the valve stem. (Tool mark?)

So at 1730 my wife finds Complete Cycle Repair (www.complete-cycle.com) and the owner Bruce Armstrong offers to come rescue me from my shade at a Gradys BBQ (not a cloud in the sky). Bruce runs small shop with every imaginable make being repaired. His mechanic Matt stayed afterhours to fix my wheel.

So do to Bruce and Matt excellent care, tonight I'm in Kerrville TX contemplating crossing even more of TX to get back up to I-40. I-10 is rather hot and I've done it before in Sept 2006.

Met the US Border Patrol today on I-10: "Are you a US citizen","Yes I am!" Todays adventure: Turning the corner at Los Cruces and its starting to get dark and the bike is shuddering a bit. So I adjust the speend and it goes away about 70 but I don't want to do 70. Poor fuel mileage and all that. So I stop and check the chain and all looks just fine so I get back on the road wondering if this is not case of "auto rough". It's a thing that inexperienced pilots get just before they venture of somewhere isolated in a small single engine plane. The start noticing noises and vibrations. So I am running down I-10 at 70 mph in total darkness (excepting the Denali lights which are lighting up the road for about 1/3 of a mile -- they are AWESOME) and glance at the GPS and it says 59 mph. (wha..?) The speedo says 70! Duh! The needle is floating with the vibration and I am lugging the motor. Push the speed back up to 65 on the GPS and all is right with the world. Funny thing is the speedo says 70 the whole time.

Oh and the high beam circuit is not in the connector (I looked under the tank this morning.) Its in the handle bar switch. Every two years or so I have to disassemble the thing and clean the contacts. Apparently now is the time. Actually perhaps tomorrow morning.

Wow it was windy and cold in Kerrville this morning. Lovely day for riding..I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

Wednesday: It's in the 40's this morning. Up in the mountains it's in the 20's. I wonder if it will be warmer for the return. I'm heading west in search of warmer weather this morning. The GPS is now giving me an ETA at Petaluma rather than --:--. The destination is in starting to come into view. Another day in the desert to LA and the coast road perhaps.

West of Kerrville on I-10 the elevation rises to 4500'. Last time I came through here in 2006 it was on my BMW and I was down on power trying to keep the speed up near 65. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Thunderbolt and it 28mm AMAL had no such issues on the same route. I have more throttle in reserve than I did with the R65. But since this is a distance run I'm babying (?) the motor at only 65 mph.

The adventure continues.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 09:05 AM
Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Rich B OP
Studly Adventurer

Tom

Shoulda taken me up on my offer, we would be headed west right now!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
Hi Kev many thanks for posting our stuff.

After an amazing ride through the Big Sur and finding a quaint gas station with service pumps, and if we had had a wind shield, the young lad would have washed it for us.

We headed for Monterey and it started to get warmer

Sara caught me napping in the hotel garden. We spent our time here resting and a trip out into the bay to see some whales and dolphins and also the aquarium well worth a visit.

Then on to Santa Cruz to stop with friends. Our next stop was the Golden Gate Bridge after sneaking around the western most edge of San Francisco.

And off in the distance is Alcatraz

Sara and I are off to Sonoma raceway tomorrow and hope to see some of the Brit Bike crew there.
There will be more...

Sara and Geoff

I will post the next instalment after the weekend, as I am off to the John Bull rally over in Belgium later today.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
Rich B OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Heading out in a bit for the boring kerosene buzzard ride....

Sonoma tomorrow with pics....I promise
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
ricochetrider
a certain something

More from the Georgia guy on the BSA "ThunderWing" (Thunderbolt decked out with complete GIVI luggage set )

Well I made LA!

I opened my door (editor's note- probably somewhere in AZ)and was greeted by a dust storm. Packed up the stuff. The bike started second kick and off to McD's for breakfast. When I got there The was a KTM with Heidenau Dual Sport tires on it and a funky set of Black 70's saddle bags -- a curious farkel. So I walked in knowing there was at least one serious motorcycle person. The gentilman in question was BMW MOA memeber Joe Barrazo. And he was part of two tables worth of the morning lunch bunch. I was immediately invited to join Joe. After he found out where I was going he suggested a better way -- US-70 off I-10 bypasing Tuscon and entering Pheonix from the east side. It was a wonderful ride and the high point of the day. I had a home cooked Mexican meal in Globe AZ and got see some breathtaking mountain scenery including huge copper and gold mines.

As for the rest of the day I have only one word -- WIND.

All day, unrelenting push you helmetsidways gusty dust devil and sand blowing across the road from sunup to sundown. So I am really tired and am now going to sleep

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Thursday - Pacific coast Highway. It's gorgeous here. Suns up and time is a wasting.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
ricochetrider
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Tom

Shoulda taken me up on my offer, we would be headed west right now!

yeah no shit daddy-o. regrettin it but wtf. also working my butt off so it's not fer nothin.... safe travels my man.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
ricochetrider
a certain something

shots from the Road:
jim H, posted on f b yesterday:

Mount Humphries outside of Flagstaff

Dieter & Bill E

Dieter

BSAs on the horizon

last stretch of open road before Kingman AZ

Dieter & Bill E in traffic Kingman AZ

Motel 6 Kingman AZ

Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
ricochetrider
a certain something

Wade: 18 hours ago via f b:

Wade and those guys reached California last night and were headed
into L.A. today. Will post any pix he puts up.