Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #31
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Thanks for the update Bartron.
My pleasure. I realize many are waiting for our story. Thank you for your patience. Hopefully your expectations will be met!

Uploading pics as we speak....may take the rest of the night though.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Isn't night longer up there this time of year?
Waited this long, a little longer won't hurt!
Thanks for keeping at it.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #33
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Prologue

We were fired up.

Stoked.

Furious.

And that was just after Revelstoker came up with the idea and pointed me to Martin Hacksworth's site for the Tour of Idaho.

The danger excited us and the excitement endangered us. We had a plan and we let the other Basterds know.

GRock was out. He nearly bled to death after a snowmobile misadventure and was still on the mend - not to mention he was MIA.

Big Paul was out. His mechanical expertise foiled his plan as orders came flooding in and he was forced to stay and pay the bills. He thought we were crazy and wanted to bring his Husaberg anyhow.

I wasn't sure until the last minute.

A big inspiration for my joy of life was dying. She had encouraged me to explore and take risks in a way that supported me but at the same time let me know that she was worried. Of course she was, she was my mom.

I flew home just after labour day to spend some time with mom. Her chemo was on hold but she was in good spirits. We spent a lazy day at the beach with dad and caught up. I had just finished working a difficult two weeks and appreciated the break. I wanted to talk to them about the trip. I was afraid of going and feared I may regret not spending the extra time at home with them. As mom nodded off to sleep in the back of the car on the way back, dad assured me that she would want nothing else but to see me go. She wanted everyone else to lead their normal lives. Funny thing, none of us were sure what normal was anymore.

Mom has always been my inspiration for exploration. It was in her blood and she nurtured it in mine.

This one's for you mama.

:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #34
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Thanks for the peak, you should be a stripper...
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #35
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Thanks for the peak, you should be a stripper...
I should start working on my flexibility.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #36
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Preparation

With all the fear mongering on Martin's site about the route and lunacy of large bikes I was starting to get a bit anxious.

What if Revelstoker and I found ourselves with a bike down a mountainside because I swerved to hit a squirrel and missed? Or what if Revelstoker was too busy deciphering the GPS Magic 8 Ball and ended up in a tree? Being a boyscout taught me to be prepared.

I went to the local climbing shop and picked up what I would need for self/team extrication manoeuvres. I bought 4 pulleys, high strength rope and a bunch of various climbing slings. I also bought an App on iTunes to tell me how to use this stuff. Sure all the anodized aluminum was pretty but it didn't come with instructions.

As for the bikes?

Rich's KTM had some recent service work done.

New chocolate:

Front suspenders got overhauled after 30K of abuse:

Oil and all filters were done. Sure is nice to have a local KTM mechanic.

In the few days before departure I had to install new pegs, new luggage racks, new rear suspension, IndyUnlimited's mods for rear suspension as well as spend some time with the missus and kidlet so I have a home to come back to.

About a month before the trip, I asked Revelstoker what he thought about getting some stickers made up for the trip. Something we can give to people along the way, repair stuff with and perhaps improve some of the signage along the way. I fully expected him to make fun of me for a long time. Instead, the guy makes up a logo, contacts the printer and has them made up before I gather the gusto to find out what he thought of my 'so cool' idea.

Of course, we may be allowed to drive and consume spirits but man did we regress with our custom sticker sets! They found their way everywhere:

Considering Revelstoker's penchant for coffee, it was no surprise we had some custom mugs too.

The night before Day 0, I'm in the garage till 2am, nothing is packed and bike is in pieces - just like any other of my trips - but I'm stoked!

Bartron screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 10:51 PM
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #37
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Day 0: Edmonton to Revelstoke

Got to bed at 2am, up at 6:30am for a coffee run and then back to the garage. Seems I still had a few minor things to tweak with the bike.

By the time I packed up all my stuff and then repacked to accommodate the lilliputian size of the Wolfman Enduro bags it's getting late. I can't find half the stuff I need and probably forgot to tighten a few screws.

I leave for Calgary at 3pm - at least 5 hours behind schedule. Why Calgary? Big Paul kindly volunteered to install my fork bleeders given he's got the experience and equipment and I have neither. Wishful thinking wasn't going to save me if I drilled the fork cap incorrectly.

I texted Big Paul to let him know I'd be late. This guy is awesome. He stuck around at the shop till I showed up and then we got to taking the bike apart right away and drilling/tapping/counterboring the fork caps. This simple modification made a HUGE difference on the ride. Best $40 spent on the front end.

Big Paul is a few levels beyond the 'hobby shop':

His press even has an oil/water bath pump thingie. Damn!

I got to Big Paul's shop by 6:15pm and was out of there within 75 minutes with fresh fork bleeders. I can't say I was as excited about the long, cold and dark drive to Revelstoke. At 6am we are leaving the house so I have 11 hours to get there and sleep and get up again.

I pushed where I could but I took it easy in the dark. Figure it's better to be an adventure rider than a deer hunter.

Revelstoker is great about leaving a light on for me and usually has some chow and a kettle on - not to mention the lovely Gin and Tonics. This time, everyone was asleep and I snuck in through the back door.

Parked the bike, as it was, beside the house and tried to be as quiet as possible. It was, after all, 1am.

Total Mileage: 465 miles
Total Ascent: 13,749 ft
Total Descent: 14,596 ft
Total Time: 16.5 hours

Bartron screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 09:46 PM
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #38
Grizzler
Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer: 90
Subscribed....

Grizzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
Excellent

Great Report Bartron. I'm lookin forward to the rest of your report.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
Getafix
1st Midlife Crisis

Oddometer: 6
Ahem!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
gporter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
nice mill dose it have cnc controller
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #42
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gporter View Post
nice mill dose it have cnc controller
Pretty sure it does, along with a fancy lathe machine. I don't know much about this stuff though, except it's shiny and neat to look at.

EDIT: Checked with Big Paul, turns out he does it all by hand. No CNC. Perhaps we should start calling him 'Magic Hands' Paul. On second thought, not.

Bartron screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 05:44 PM
Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #43
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Day 1: Revelstoke, BC to Kendrick, ID

Revelstoker wasn't kidding.

There was a knock on my door at 5:30am reminding me we were leaving at 6am. We had a ferry to catch at 7am and being late meant we would be an hour behind - already. Such a reminder always goes well when accompanied by a freshly brewed latte - thanks buddy!

For Revelstoker, getting up early is never a concern. The man has breakfast with the birds and has finished every North American newspaper before I remember how to find the snooze button. Of course, he did have more sleep, despite checking in on his missing buddy in the middle of the night. I'm surprised he didn't hear me snoring away.

With all his free time the day before, Revelstoker organized luggage on his steed.

Even gave her a washing, pampering and pep talk.

The luggage thing was a lengthy discussion. Revelstoker, ever the minimalist, usually doesn't need much room but given the length of the ride and our desire to bring a Jetboil and cooking accessories along with some cold-weather clothing led to him ordering that Giant Loop Coyote at the last minute from Dave at MotoOverland. Whenever he started talking about the bag, again, I would just drift off into "blah blah blah it makes your butt look big".

We left just a few minutes after 6am, still in the haze of early dawn and boogied to the Shelter Bay ferry.

Since I had not seen our new stickers yet, I was itching to try them out. We found a suitable piece of government property that needed a hole patched.

They must have liked the look of us because we got priority boarding anyway.

We knew this day was going to be long and our goal destination was at least Coeur d'Alene, ID. Revelstoker planned a mostly slabbish route there. We stopped for lunch, coffee and sunshine in Castlegar, BC.

Here, the F8 was properly christened.

New bling was discussed while still shiny.

We continued on towards the border.

As we neared the border, I took off my sunglasses to look less suspicious and realized why my glasses seemed so blurry.

Turns out it wasn't dirt, bugs or old age. Somehow they had cracked in my pocket during the night portion of yesterday's ride. Bummer. These glasses have been with me for over 100,000km's of riding. I bought them in Banff on mine and dad's first bike tour. Shite. I figured I would keep wearing them for the time being although the idea of minute glass shards, released from the glass friction, was worrisome.

The border crossing at Boundry Lake was located in a picturesque setting. Complete with Americana...

...and counter-terrorist shooting practice.

Now that we were in Washington, we headed for Idaho. We were quite excited when we found it.

This Hot-Wheels number was waiting for us at the gas station in Newport, ID. Nice wheels, nice engine work, nice owner - nice combo.

We entered Idaho at around lunch time but figured we'd combine lunch and dinner into one later on and better hustle. After mostly slab and a lunch stop in Coeur d'Alene, our first foray off-road was soon after St. Maries, ID. We were excited and took a few shots of the occasion.

After a butt break, Revelstoker was keen to keep going.

The open dirt took us into incredible vistas and serpentine trails through some clear-cut country.

We continued on these roads through the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation and into the St. Joe National Forest. It was great riding with a few single-track shortcuts (no pics, I was trying to make my shorts last another day) thrown in for good measure. After many miles of this, your heart sinks a little when you see one of these:

It would have sucked to backtrack and run out of gas. Thankfully, some crafty people ahead of us had a solution.

Looking at the photo now, it certainly didn't seem that there was that much room between the gate and the drop-off. We felt victorious, unlike the pick-up truck that had just come from the other direction to meet the same road block.

We continued on southeast through the St. Joe's National Forest until the sun was about to set and we started looking for a place to stealth camp. Every time we saw a spot, it was too close to the road or too close to existing farm houses. The topography didn't leave much of the landscape invisible so being stealthy would be difficult.

We did manage to find a little tucked away corner of a farm, in a dip, where some farm machinery was stored. It was already getting dark so we settled for the night here, just north of Kendrick, ID.

We blended in fairly well.

By the time I re-learned how to set up my tent it was already dark. We said our 'good-night's and dreamt of further adventure.

Total Mileage: 458 miles
Total Ascent: 26,821 ft
Total Descent: 25,861 ft
Total Time: 13.5 hours

Bartron screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 11:02 PM
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #44
gporter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
jeez i went through 3 pairs of shades in 3000 miles
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #45
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gporter View Post
jeez i went through 3 pairs of shades in 3000 miles
I hear ya. I loved these for the sentimental value but mainly because the lenses were glass and didn't scratch up in your pocket.