User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
wantok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Question New hammerhead doesn't fit twin spring sidestand

Hi people - need your advice. I have a new hammerhead shifter that wont fir my 2004 950ADV, because of inteference from the standard twin spring sidestand when its folded up (the top spring touches the shifter) Has anyone changed to the single spring setup - is it a drama & costs more than the shifter?
Thanx

Nick (wantok)
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
Before relocating my 950's sidestand (thanks PAbiker), i fitted a hammerhead shift lever which sadly interferred with my sidestand springs. The two-spring setup was easily replaced with a single spring: namely, KTM part# 50303024000 ... about four bucks, and one minute to install ... thus eliminating contact between shifter and spring. I also chose to defeat the sidestand position switch due to slightly less spring retraction force. When i relocated the sidestand, i returned to the two-spring setup, just because i still had all the parts, etc.

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,591
I just use one spring and haven't had an issue. Fingers crossed ;). I do plan to relocate the side stand one of these days though. Having a size twelve foot and using mx boots the extra length of the hammerhead was a very good addition to my bike. Shifting while standing has been greatly improved :)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
wantok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Talking Thanks people

Thanks for your help people, I appreciate it!

Nick (wantok)
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Azmontana
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog View Post
Before relocating my 950's sidestand (thanks PAbiker), i fitted a hammerhead shift lever which sadly interferred with my sidestand springs. The two-spring setup was easily replaced with a single spring: namely, KTM part# 50303024000 ... about four bucks, and one minute to install ... thus eliminating contact between shifter and spring. I also chose to defeat the sidestand position switch due to slightly less spring retraction force. When i relocated the sidestand, i returned to the two-spring setup, just because i still had all the parts, etc.

Hi all, i'm looking at getting one of these, I have a 950A, I do have a side stand relocater fitted, does this mean I would not need to do the single spring mod in order to get this working properly?

Thanks
Azmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmontana View Post
Hi all, i'm looking at getting one of these, I have a 950A, I do have a side stand relocater fitted, does this mean I would not need to do the single spring mod in order to get this working properly?

Thanks
Hammerhead is working on a new design which I do not believe is available yet. If you go to their site and try to order. it will tell you that it is 'unavailable". However, the new design was supposed to be out before the end of last year, so maybe soon.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Azmontana
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
Hammerhead is working on a new design which I do not believe is available yet. If you go to their site and try to order. it will tell you that it is 'unavailable". However, the new design was supposed to be out before the end of last year, so maybe soon.
I've sourced someone who has the old stock in, was just wondering if I need to modify the side stand spring if I have the side stand relocator installed. Thanks
Azmontana is offline   Reply With Quote