User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
burbansk OP
Exit222

Oddometer: 230
Border Crossing Info ( Canada )

Hello, The wife and I will be entering Canada from Sault Saint Marie MI. in June on my 1150GS. My wife has a passport and I have a Michigan Enhanced Driver License. We are both US Citizens and Michigan residents. Does anyone know if that is good enough to enter Canada. Thanks, Bruce.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
gonerydin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I would never leave the US without a passport, regardless of requirements. But that's just me.

Here is a copy/paste from http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/canada.html

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Entry into the United States: When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book, except as noted in the few exceptions provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
I never had any trouble entering the US with my enhanced DL from Canada.

They scan the back of the DL and you are done. Even when I was coming back from Mexico zero problem.

Sadly I dont have it anymore because they canceled the enhanced DL program in my home province so I lost it when my license was up for renewal. It wasnt cheap (100$) and most folks have passports anyway.

In a sense enhanced DL is better than a passport because they screen you for criminal history before issuing it.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
RunLongVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Yes, you will be fine. I live in VT and that is what is required here. No reason to think it would be different there.
RunLongVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 986
+1 more. Enhanced DL is just fine for crossing the Canada/US border.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #6
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbansk View Post
Hello, The wife and I will be entering Canada from Sault Saint Marie MI. in June on my 1150GS. My wife has a passport and I have a Michigan Enhanced Driver License. We are both US Citizens and Michigan residents. Does anyone know if that is good enough to enter Canada. Thanks, Bruce.
Ill be passing through there in early July. You have everything I was planning on carrying for identification.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #7
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 438
This website has all you need to know.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5082-eng.html

Enjoy your trip.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #8
NB.Moose
NBDSC

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbansk View Post
Good too go as for your identification and proof of citizenship here a post I started for this type of questions!!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950332
NB.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #9
St. Louis Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I do it all the time. Make sure you have proof of ownership and insurance with you too. I keep a copy of the title when I go to Canada. Enjoy the view from the bridge when waiting in line to get in via SSM. Great view of the river and the famous Soo Locks.