Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Oddometer: 28
Scotland here I come...on the 8th July...

After seeing pic's of Johnnyboxer trip north of the border I was inspired to plan a little trip out. By the standards of distance ridden by other's on here,this would be a walk in the park to most.
Once we head off and get past the Newcastle upon Tyne area,we are heading up the A68 past Keilder reservoir. For me,one of the best biking road's in the UK. The initial destination will be Callander,a small town near the Trossach's,which for me are the start of the highland's. Beautiful.
We are staying over for the night in Callander and then heading for Inverary,as it's a place Ive never been. It look's like a nice place from the picture's Ive seen.
Once we've seen the sight's,been fed and watered we'll be heading homeward.
I havent worked out the return fully,as if thing's work out,I may take another day and head for some pic's at Eilean donan castle. It seems like a shame to be fairly close to it without paying a visit. We shall see.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ei...w=1366&bih=667

The basic two day trip map.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ei...w=1366&bih=667

Once I have anything to report on this,I'll be back with some picture's and new's.
Thank you.
dixiethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

I'll be riding my trusty Gen 1 Hayabusa by the way. Wishing it was a BMW or an FJR1300.....
Old 06-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

After starting to read,and only getting to page 10 of Kamchat's amazing "You are going to die" thread,Im now thinking about heading down to Dunoon,catching a ferry and then heading toward's Glasgow. I would have never thought about this option if I hadnt seen the thread.
Thank you Kamchat!!
Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 402
I did a similar trip recently on my Grom

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055793

It's a good couple of days out. Your hayabusa is significantly more capable than the Grom, You'll have no problems
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Leatherstocking
Lurker

Oddometer: 23
Getting in on this one, even if it's just to see some pics of my old stomping grounds around Newcastle.
Leatherstocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Thank you NorthernMonkey for the link,Ive checked it out and left a comment. It looks like you had a great trip.
Leatherstocking,Im going to have a ride out one day armed with a camera on my bike and take some local pic's. If there's anywhere in particular you'd like to see again,shout the place's out!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Leatherstocking
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiethedog View Post
Leatherstocking,Im going to have a ride out one day armed with a camera on my bike and take some local pic's. If there's anywhere in particular you'd like to see again,shout the place's out!
Well, I was living there while I did a year of Uni at Newcastle. I lived in a block of student flats just off of Barrack road which backed up to Leazes Park. According to Google maps, what was my local pub (it was a Whitbread pub, I forget the name) is now a Japanese Buffet. I spent time in Eldon Square (there was a marks & sparks there that a lot of us shopped at regularly) all up and down Grey St, down at the quayside, and all over the place in the city.

Outside of the city, I went all over the place - down to Whitley Bay and along the coast in the Whitley Bay / Tynemouth / Sunderland area, hiking in the North York Moors, the lake district, all over Scotland, etc.

Any pictures of Newcastle these days would make me happy. It was a great place and I've a special spot in my heart for the Geordie people still. Why aye!

Leatherstocking screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 11:48 AM
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Kamchat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
After starting to read,and only getting to page 10 of Kamchat's amazing "You are going to die" thread,Im now thinking about heading down to Dunoon,catching a ferry and then heading toward's Glasgow. I would have never thought about this option if I hadnt seen the thread.
Thank you Kamchat!!

Thanks mate. If the weather is good I would strongly recommend going up to Eilean Donan Castle, the road up there is great and the Busa is a great bike (I had one for 6 years). If you have never ridden through Glen Coe on the A82 that is a 'must' and is on your way anyway.

Cheers

Kam/John
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Leatherstocking,I will glady have a trip around the area to take some pic's for your viewing. Newcastle can be a fun place to be with a lot of friendly people.
Thank you Kam too. Ive been thru Glen Coe before,on an old z1000 with a loud Harris pipe. It was an overcast dark day and it felt almost spooky. But great non the less.
I desperately need a photo of my busa near Eilean Donan castle so will see how thing's go.

The journey start's tomorrow with a trip from my home to Corby to buy and collect a full set of luggage for the busa.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Se...3!2d52.4922983

Thats a 400 plus mile trip before we even leave the house for Scotland.
People who may read this stateside might think 400 mile's is a small distance,but here in the UK it's a fairly long ride out. 400 mile's of boring dual carriage way's. Nothing to look forward too.
But on the bright side I'll have a nice full set of Givi luggage. Im turning my bike into a tourer.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Leatherstocking a link to some pic's of night life in Newcastle. This isnt a typical representation of anything I know!!!!
Nothing to do with bike's,but it might give you a laugh.
The dress code for a night out is to wear as little as possible,especially in the winter time when it's freezing. Bloody idiot's!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiktor...11143376/page2
Old 06-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 402
I've got a few Newcastle pics lying around somewhere

and a few on cross processed slide film, which I used to shoot a bit of a few years ago

TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Nice picture there.
I notice Triumph used Newcastle for a few picture's for the latest motorbike catalogue. They also used the Angel of the North. It's funny,but when you live here,you dont pay any attention to the landmark's.
Now that I have the riding bug,Im going to do a day out with pic's of my bike next to castle's.
Tynemouth castle,then Warkworth castle,Alnwick castle,Dunstanburgh castle,Bamburgh castle,possibly the castle on the Farne island's,Norham castle,Chillingham castle,Mitford castle,Prudhoe castle and maybe a visit to Newcastle.
A good day's riding with a lot of castle's. Then there's Starlight castle just down the road from home,Delaval hall.... the list goes on. But is Eilean Donan castle top of my castle picture wish list.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
Leatherstocking
Lurker

Thanks to both of you for the pictures. Sorry for the thread hijack, but as I said the time I spent in England was some of the best of my life, even if it was 17 or so years ago now.

Quote:
Leatherstocking a link to some pic's of night life in Newcastle. This isnt a typical representation of anything I know!!!!
Nothing to do with bike's,but it might give you a laugh.
The dress code for a night out is to wear as little as possible,especially in the winter time when it's freezing. Bloody idiot's!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiktor...11143376/page2
Looks like Halloween maybe? I remember some crazy night life, but a lot of those look like costumes for sure.

And the wearing as little as possible thing... I think that's universal. I work at a University in Baltimore (the US one, not the one in Ireland) and if you drive by our campus on a winter's evening, you'll see plenty of people freezing to death as they wait for a cab or go where they're going.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #14
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherstocking View Post
Thanks to both of you for the pictures. Sorry for the thread hijack, but as I said the time I spent in England was some of the best of my life, even if it was 17 or so years ago now.

Looks like Halloween maybe? I remember some crazy night life, but a lot of those look like costumes for sure.

And the wearing as little as possible thing... I think that's universal. I work at a University in Baltimore (the US one, not the one in Ireland) and if you drive by our campus on a winter's evening, you'll see plenty of people freezing to death as they wait for a cab or go where they're going.
Geordies as hard as nail's.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #15
dixiethedog OP
Day tripper

The trip planning and getting thing's ready has been a long day.
Ive just completed a 475 mile round trip to buy and collect a full hard luggage set up for my bike.
I dont have any pic's as Im too tired to move. Unusually the temp outside today was in the high 20's and low 30's as we motored along. In the car with the air con on. Because of a limited time frame today it was jump in the car,drive to where we were going, then do the "Hello,Im here to buy the pannier's...yes they look great..here's the money..goodbye". Before jumping straight back into the car and hitting the road again.
On the way homeward we picked a hitch hiker up from a service station who is a roadie for a band called NOFX. He went to an after show party last night and erm..missed the bus. He was off to a gig tonight in Newcastle,so luckily for him,I was able to drop him off. Colin as is called told me stories of load's of gig's,band',famous name's he's met and made the long motorway journey a fun few hour's. A top bloke.

I was thinking if TheNorthernMonkey ever fancy's a trip out,we could put his Grom into one of the pannier's and then get it when we reach our destination.