Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #301
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,703
Looks incredible down there! Between you Cuttle and Banjo, Y'all are making me jealous.
My crystal ball says there is a trip there in my future!!!
Thanks!
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #302
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
Please come on. I enjoyed your continental divide report.

I left the house Saturday morning after getting some laundry and PT done. I went around the back of the lake to Nix Creek to Parker Padgett to Bat Cave and down 9 and up 74-A to Grant Mountain.

I found my way around the bottom of Hendersonville and over to Flat Rock and then over Pinnacle Mountain. I haven't been over there in years. I took it all the way across to Reasonover and on into Brevard. Brevard still has an active Occupy movement. You have to admire their dedication. Down 64 to Rosman and on up 215.

I snapped a little too early as this fellow gave me the wave. Promise.

I went through Pinhook Valley over to Wolf Creek. I did some more PT at Horshoe Rock.

I went down 281 to 107, where I turned left and headed up to Glenville. Right on Pine Creek and then another right...

Wheeee! is right there in the name.

I cruised into town for some gas and caffeine.

That's it for pictures from Saturday.

Back up to Ellijay and over the divide to 64, where I made a left. Riding past the big falls in Cullasaja gorge gave me vertigo. Down 28 to Warwoman. I was getting sort of tired and the sun was in my eyes on Warwoman, but it was fun nevertheless.

Confession time and warning to others. I had some time to burn until those guys got to Clayton. I headed back out Warwoman Dell to chill out and do some chain maintenance. I was oiling my chain by rolling the bike along and setting it on the kickstand then move along and repeat. I had my attention on getting the oil on the chain when the bike started tipping toward me because I hadn't set it down on the stand right. I was able to keep it from falling over with full force on my legs (and maybe breaking something) but I ended up with my right leg pinned under the bike, unable to lift it enough to get it out. In dilated, pinned animal time, it was like 20 minutes, but probably only 10 in real time. So I didn't really consider chewing my own leg off, but I know that there is no cell reception at Warwoman Dell. Be careful out there!

I met Layla and her paddling crew at Mama G's for some primo Italian food. We camped at Tugaloo Dam tailwaters. Awesome stars. They need to make the water release alarm a little more soothing, especially at 2 a.m.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #303
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,834

I have pinned myself with bikes twice over the years. I can't say for sure how I got out either time.

But I still have both of my feet.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #304
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

The water release/quiet hours are over alarm went off, and it was time to get moving. The night before, I had gotten lost on the way down to the campground and found some interesting roads, so I decided to explore some of them.

Repeat photo of Tugaloo Dam.

This road got steeper, so I turned around. This grade plus leaves plus street tires equals not making it to breakfast on time, and we had had a missed meal reminder the evening before.

It turns out that the road system at Tallulah Point and the road system at Tugaloo Village do NOT connect. Still fun running around in there. I have a feeling that there are good overlooks.

On to Clayton and breakfast.

I was running around in the woods longer than I expected and those guys were also delayed, so breakfast was short and sweet.

In spite of the fact that I was on Warwoman Road, the Gaston of 1993 visited me and insisted on a run over US 76 to Chattooga Ridge Road. Good call!

I did the west end twisties on Warwoman and then up the rest of 28 to Highlands. I checked in with Lucky but he wasn't feeling well. Horse Cove Road has brand new pavement. Very nice. Then through Bull Pen over to NC 107 and back into South Carolina.

I'm sorry. I find it difficult to pass up Whitewater Falls.

Nice collection. My friend's older brother had a Charger that same shade of purple when I was a kid. A ride in that car across the Plains Road at 100+ and "News to the World" at high volume changed me forever.

I had a car free run up 281 to US 64 and even had that road to myself almost until I turned off of it to follow 281. There are curvier roads with better scenery and better pavement, but 281 from Lake Toxaway to NC 107 is one of the best. I hung a right on Charlie Creek for some more twisties. I finally saw the entrance of Neddie Mountain. I was ahead of schedule, so I took it back out to 281. Canada, take two, action!

I picked up a fuel truck pulling out of Pinhook Campground. He went down the hill on 215, so I went up. The Parkway was open, so I went over to US 276, which also has brand new pavement. At the bottom of the exit ramp I ran into fancyindigo.

We chatted for a moment. She had places to go. I had places to go. I took Yellow Gap Road over to North Mills River. I forgot how friggin long that road is. Lunchtime! I busted a move to Asheville. People on ludes should not drive. The upside down triangle means "you're the one that has to back off." Good thing I looked in the rearview. No one was behind me, so these guys will not merge in front of m---whoaaa! Tire smoke, people heading for the guardrail. I easily had enough brakes to stay out of the melee. Anyway, that little incident was better than a 12 oz Red Bull. The freaks were out in numbers in town.

I took 40 down the hill to NC 126.

Kitty! He was outside on his own. Layla was a mere hour behind me.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #305
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

I would like to thank veterans for their service to our country.

We were on it by 10 a.m.

The Damascus end of the IMT was good to go. After FR 90, there was a lot of blowdown, but everything had a ride around. There were a lot of mountain bikers out there, even with the early hour.

The views were really nice today. Mount Rogers was getting its flex on.

Skull's Gap. Even this early in the day, we were pretty sure that we wouldn't be returning this way.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #306
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Up

At close to 65 degrees, this snow seemed incongruous, but at 5:00, when it was 40, not so much.

The VHHT was fairly dry.

The easternmost section by Little Dry Run wilderness was anything but dry.

I'm pleased to report that the slaw dogs are still delicious. Glenn's is for sale.

It took us almost five hours to get to Speedwell. The return trip would have to "abbreviated." It turned out to be 10 miles longer than the trip out. We took 21 up to the Comer's Rock Road and then dropped off the north side to pick up the horse trail. We busted a move on the middle two sections (the best part IMHO).

Maybe we'll get back for a snow ride.

Time was running short when we got to Sugar Grove. We took Teas and Slab Town to Comer's Creek up to FR 84.

Near the top, 84 was chilly. We took 600 north to 604 to 730.

615 is closed due to unsafe conditions?!?! Not as unsafe as all the backtracking we would do in the dark.

We made it back to Damascus at dark. 137 miles for the day.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #307
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
looks like a great day!!!

I need to get out......
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #308
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,578

I've been wanting to get back up there this fall as it's been since when I rode there with you guys!

Stupid weather hasn't been cooperating the past few Tuesdays...and it looks like rain tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #309
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,834
That sure looks like fun.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #310
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

A good way to start the day, pie and coffee.

We loaded up and were on the road by 7:15.

Not this again.

The blowdown on the IMT is much cleaned up from last week. Very nice.

The entrance to Little Mountain. This was the first time we needed a knife.

We did the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs.

Kiss my aura

Speedwell Tag O Rama

We did the same Comer's Rock, Snake Den, Little, Teas, Hurricane Run back to Skull's Gap. We had a little bit more time this week.

Wow, another awesome day of dual sporting.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #311
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
+1

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #312
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
How does 9 tomorrow morning sound?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #313
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
How does 9 tomorrow morning sound?

It sounds just about right. Wednesday would be almost doable. We left some fun for you out there.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #314
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post

We did the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs.

Wow, another awesome day of dual sporting.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #315
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Team Nap was on the front porch.

It is bone dry at our place. 25 miles away in McDowell County, the ground is still squishy and the creeks are pretty high.

The air up here was very clear, but there is a smoggy layer at lower elevations, making the views not that great. You can see the boundary in these photos.