Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #556
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,843
We started riding before 11 o'clock.

It was pretty warm.

We got lost.

The kids at the picnic shelter thought our dirt bikes were cool.

We ran out of water.

I didn't bring enough food.

The weather was awful.

I was whipped mercilessly by branches.

We rode until 7 p.m.

Mushroom cloud over Catawba Valley
Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #557
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,442
You still suck.

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #558
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

My homeroom. We have spent four years together. Good luck to you!

Brown Mountain is in nice shape. I would avoid the second half of 2. Several large souse holes.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #559
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

First day of vacation!

I wanted to see if I could reproduce last week's ride. Not as easy as it might sound. Besides finding the turns, there is keeping the motorcycle upright.

If there isn't infrastructure in the photo...

I was a tad worried about this move solo, but it went pretty easy.

Then the other side of the highway.

Tuna sandwich in the Tennessee sun.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #560
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,775
Great looking Homeroom class.
Even better trail.

Coming up to PA this weekend!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #561
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

I went down to Hartford and took 32 back to Mount Sterling.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #562
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

I took a trip home to see the parents. First we went for a bicycle ride.

Then we went for a motorcycle ride. They seem to be doing alright.

Sunday, my dad and I headed out to the AMA/NATC national trials at Rausch Creek. A trip through coal country.

A mother is the holiest thing alive.

This moto trial is not exactly like the trial we saw in Tennessee. Much more laid back.

My dad showed me a really nice route home over several mountains.

Not much more to report from Pennsylvania. It was nice to see the folks.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #563
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,442
I have a new appreciation for PA after my trip to Galeton a couple weeks ago. There's some very nice riding up there in the central/north central part of the state. Looks like you had a good trip.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #564
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

One of my colleagues bought this recently. We did a leg of the cheese tour. Nice bike.

Saturday was spent riding out of Waterville. The NOAA forecast said, "Thunderstorms after 12 p.m." It was 12:04 when we encountered our first.

Much like last week's ride, we rode into areas that were nice and dry even if we were not.

But it ain't gonna be dry for long.

The forests here are second to none.

We did see the crest of Reverend Asbury's trip today, and it was good. Nice and dry and tacky. My ears popped on the way up and the on the way down.

More beautiful stands of trees. This time in Tennessee.

While we were not getting rained on, it hadn't been long since it had fallen. Snowbird? More like Cloudbird. Still very fun.

This turned out to be a dead end, but perhaps we made a new friend.

We rolled on down to Green Corner and called it a day. The drifting on Green Corner was as good as it gets.

We headed back to Asheville, where Layla and I would rendezvous. We thought we were going to "The Wok" when, in fact, we were going to "Walk." A fine establishment even if my vegetable expectations were not met. Pork belly tacos son muy rico.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #565
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

We couldn't think of any place dry to ride, so we went back.

It became quickly apparent that Sunday's ride would be mostly gravel and pavement.

This guy should have stuck to gravel.

Over to the other side of the highway. We poked into a road I had been shown years ago. There is definitely a track beat down, but in the wet, prudence took over.

For a little while, at least.

We did not complete our intended route, but we did find some new stuff.

We hadn't been rained on all day until 45 seconds after this photo was taken.

Suddenly a Gulf Road run didn't seem so great. We got rained on in Harmon Den.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #566
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Layla had a big river rendezvous at the Upper Youghiogheny River in Maryland. This year's festivities included a release on the Savage River. Enticed by the opportunity to run the Savage, not to mention run the length of West Virginia, I headed out. The logistics worked out that I had to do the trip up in a single day. That means an early start.

6:30 at Lenoir.

Blue Ridge Parkway

221 to West Jefferson, where I picked up 16 and then Flat Ridge.

Speedwell tag!

At Bastian, I was gassing up and a fellow walked over to me and said, "It's about time for a new back tire there." Backstory: I had been losing sleep all week. Put new tires on or don't? The tire was fine for the duration although there isn't much left.

I hit a few raindrops as I emerged from the East River Tunnel. I picked up WV 20 in Athens. 20 is a magnificent touring road, and in spite of being the eve of a holiday weekend, traffic was very light. Just don't try to get a hot dog from the ladies in front of the Kroger in Rainelle.

Gauley River at Craigsville.

I was excited to go to Webster Springs. There are several pages in DeLorme's Atlas that I have wanted to cross, and this was the day.

The Elk River environs are indeed Wild and Wonderful.

20 had been so good, it was difficult to turn off of it since it sort of goes where I'm heading. I took a right at Jumbo to run the Back Fork of the Elk shuttle.

You know, the the shorter one with the funny tines.

As near as I can tell, this road runs the ridge that divides the Elk River from the Buckhannon River for quite a ways.

I didn't see a soul all the way from Route 20, and no one was out in Pickens this afternoon either.

I checked out the general store in Helvetia. Cool masks. I then headed up through Mabie and Cassity to Norton. Slab into Elkins.

I got gas and liquor in Elkins. The traffic in Elkins made me think that 219 would not be that great, so I decided to run to Parsons along the Shavers Fork.

I didn't remember that road being that rough, but I was on the DRZ. It is beautiful there. Parsons was good for food and Red Bull. It was getting late, and I still had a good stretch to do. I had 219 to myself.

The Free State of Maryland, where dwelling is top shelf and in harmony with its surroundings. I admire it.

13.5 hours on the road. Layla and company were there when I arrived. The house where we stayed had 100 year old spruce in the yard where I lay my bag and pad out. No tent for the duration. It felt like a sacred spot.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #567
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

No riding to report for Friday. We did a rigorous hike of Bear Creek in the morning. That was a good way to get the fluid out of my feet.

Then, Layla's brother and I headed to Ohiopyle to paddle the Loop. A trip to Ohiopyle sends the nostalgia meter into the red zone. I made trips there before I had a car, and it started me on a lifetime driving like hell to get my ass on better water.

If you are into pepperoni rolls, you should hit the Water Street Cafe in Friendsville, Maryland at 4 o'clock. Second place isn't even close.

I should also mention that our hosts were regaling us with ridiculously good food and hospitality.

The exercise, food, and drink got to me, and I didn't really make it to the fireworks. I needed help getting to the spruce tree.

We did another hike Saturday morning, and then I headed out with the idea of getting a Hellbender burrito for lunch.

Dappled Maryland sweetness.

Aurora Pike

Stemple Ridge

This is some kind of sign.

$$$$$

St. George, WV

I ran back up Horseshoe Run, where holiday festivities were at full tilt.

The firemen were having some kind of contest in Thomas. Davis was rocking with tourists. The burritos are righteous in Davis.

I headed out of town via the North Branch of the Potomac.

The Backbone Mountain party is over at US 50 in spite of what DeLorme's says. I had to go over to Gormania to get to Oakland, but this time I understood what I was looking at.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #568
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Sunday we went to the Savage River. When I first started paddling, it was a big destination, and then POOF no water for you. Now they have three days a year of scheduled whitewater releases. It is a very nice run, and I was glad to have the guidance of those who knew it because there are some large hydraulics out there.

We pulled up stakes and went to JR's campus of ripping in Friendsville. The guy literally owns 30 kayaks of all stripes. In 1986, I was lucky enough to witness his complete mastery of water, rock, and air. 28 years later, he impressed me with his lack of mastery of fireworks. His wife is gonna be pissed off when she sees the hole in the siding.

I left JR's at 7 a.m. and found my way on the river left shuttle route to Sang Run.

I ran back through Terra Alta and Aurora Pike and then Stemple Ridge. Stemple Ridge leaves you with a dilemma.

You can't go wrong here, but as they say in real estate... $$$$

I took 219 down to Elkins and then took 151, which got me started on a pretty comprehensive tour of Upshur County. I came upon CR9, where some DOH dudes warned me unanimously against taking it to Helvetia. I have been on single digit roads in WV where I wouldn't go on my Versys, so I ended up circling way the hell around Frenchtown and Alexander. All of it is beautiful and the only traffic is hay being moved.

The road to Monterville is nice, 40 mph gravel.

All this running around when time is short was to make possible running the eastern end of WV 15. It is another beautiful highway that runs along Point Mountain. The only other rig I saw was a log truck that waved me by.

Stop n Go pizza and Red Bull in Webster Springs. This time I did not miss the Gateway to the Williams River. There was nobody on the gravel between Glade View and Richwood. I bought a map at the Gauley Ranger Station, and the lady at the desk reminded me to be careful of gravel in some of the turns.

I can't resist Smoot, so I went over Beech Knob and down Big Clear Creek to Rupert.

I'm still flabbergasted at how I would make a left to go to Blue Sulphur Springs, but there it was. Then Clayton, Judson, Elk Knob to Hinton. $$$$$ WV 20 to I 77. I did a bit of 52 to get to Wytheville, where I contacted Kyle B. He and Margie graciously allowed me to set up a tent on the lawn. I got to meet some little ones.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #569
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Layla got her car in Abingdon and arrived at Kyle B's pretty late. She stomped Ohiopyle Falls earlier in the day. It's legal now.

The first run was the best.

Last day of the tour and time to sleep in a bed. YFAIANPTL

421 is in kind of rough shape. They are working on it. I would avoid it until the work is done. I sat for a pretty long time.

Beaverdam was closed forcing me to go down North Fork. I hate North Fork.

That's all I got. Thanks for looking.

Gaston Gagne screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 05:14 AM
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #570
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,811
Great pics & report. Looks like the tire held up. I rode to Morganton a couple of times while you were traveling, love 181.

I was surprised by the Beaverdam bridge detour too, but good to know they get maintained.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote