Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
enginbudak OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Front brake pipe length after handle riser installation on F800GS 2013

Hi everyone,

I decided to install GPR4 steering dampener and Rox handlebar riser for my f800gs 2013. I saw threads in forum regarding to subject but none of them had exact answer ( or couldn't find it) so if this post a duplicate please accept my apologies.

I'm thinking of buying Spiegler brake pipe. Spiegler and Rox have no dealers in Turkey. I'll ship them to a friend in US and he will bring the items with him, so i don't have any option for any mistake. I need to buy everything i need at one time.

After installing the dampener and Rox i expect 6-7cm of raise for handlebar. After that I'll need to change clutch pipe and front brake pipe. Touratech TR said f800st's clutch pipe will fit.

For front brake pipe I contacted with Spiegler and they told me the correct front brake pipe for f800gs 2013 is S-BM0193. It's 1080mm long and has lateral 45 fitting (040) on one end and a lateral 90 fitting (090) on the other. But when i checked my bike the steel part of the pipe is much less (approximately 30cm, as you can see in the photo). As you see after some point there is a junction and line continues with a black plastic covered pipe. Is this Spiegler product for whole line between master cylinder and control unit?

Or am i trying to purchase the wrong product? Front brake pipe is shown as the pipe between control unit and wheels in this site http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=34_2066 . And in some pages the part i need is named as control pipe. I'm really confused about it.

What is the correct name of the pipe that i'm gonna buy?
What should be the fittings of both ends?
What is the original length of pipe? (so i can add 6-7cm)

Or do you know any online store that sells whole kit for extending front brake pipe (or control pipe)

Thanks&regards
Engin
Attached Images

enginbudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer: 1,841
2" ROX risers on my 800GS. This worked perfectly:

http://f800depot.com/longer-front-br...650-800gs.html

Its made by Spiegler. It was just easier to order it all done (at least for me). You may need more length, but it might help you. When I contacted Spiegler they were really helpful and ready to assist me. Drop them a line.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
enginbudak OP
n00b

Thanks Mike,

Is this line installed between master cylinder and control unit or master cylinder and the red circle i drew in the photo? And comparing to original line, how many cm/inches longer it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
2" ROX risers on my 800GS. This worked perfectly:

http://f800depot.com/longer-front-br...650-800gs.html

Its made by Spiegler. It was just easier to order it all done (at least for me). You may need more length, but it might help you. When I contacted Spiegler they were really helpful and ready to assist me. Drop them a line.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
OK Engin, here's your problem..........

In 2013 ALL BMW's had ABS on all their models. Also, for the F800GS and maybe others, the brake lines became ONE PIECE. You cannot disconnect it at your red circle area. You would have to remove it all the way to the ABS unit.

If you want, I have a set of 2013 F800GS brake lines I bought that were listed as 2012 so now are of no use to me. I could send them to your US friend to have modified.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
enginbudak OP
n00b

Hi Reaver,

Thank you for your very and kind offer and valuable information, however original part has no use to me. Does the line you have extended length?

Engin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
OK Engin, here's your problem..........

In 2013 ALL BMW's had ABS on all their models. Also, for the F800GS and maybe others, the brake lines became ONE PIECE. You cannot disconnect it at your red circle area. You would have to remove it all the way to the ABS unit.

If you want, I have a set of 2013 F800GS brake lines I bought that were listed as 2012 so now are of no use to me. I could send them to your US friend to have modified.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

What I'm saying is I wonder if Speigler is correct. The description says "top line only" and for $63 it won't be the entire line to the ABS I don't think. You need to do more research. If they said 1080 mm then maybe but they don't show a picture or describe much. Speigler could modify the original line if you sent it to them. That's why I offerred to send mine for lengthening. I suppose if the entire line is made of flex pipe it wouldn't be too expensive.

Am I making sense?

Reaver screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 08:14 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

"And in some pages the part i need is named as control pipe. I'm really confused about it."

On an ABS system there are 2 parts. First is the CONTROL circuit which is the lever and master cylinder that you use to "control" the amount of braking you want. The other part is the WHEEL circuit that the ABS uses to send pressure to the brakes. So a control pipe is the pipe in the control circuit which you want to lengthen.

In your link to ASC Cycles, you need a longer #3. You can only buy #1 which includes #3 and oddly it seems cheap at $165 for both.

It's hard to measure a bent pipe but I get 1030 mm stock. If the new line is all flexible then get it longer than needed cause it will be easy to use any excess rather than to err on the short side.

Reaver screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 08:29 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 485
I noticed this change on the ADV at the dealer Monday. I looked down at that new junction and thought.... well now you're f@%&ed if you need a longer line for risers.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
enginbudak OP
n00b

Hi Reaver,

Thank your for the pictures. Someone said in another forum that longer front pipe in f800 depot is 17" long, even the pipe for f800st is 23". This means i'll have use junction somewhere which i found undesired . Any mistake or weakness might lead to catastrophic results.

I wasn't sure about the Spiegler product so i sent a mail to them, length and fitting weren't documented on web page. They replied my mail and told the length is 1080mm and fittings are 45 and 90 degrees. 5cm extension will be enough for me and the one piece pipe means no potentially weak junctions.

I specifically asked and they replied so i don't think spiegler will suprise me by sending a different pipe. Many thanks for taking time and measuring the stock line, it was incredibly helpful.

One last question, did you feel any change in front brake after you changed the stock pipe? If installed well, will it be as good as the original? Some part of me still uncomfortable with changing an essential original part.

Engin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
"And in some pages the part i need is named as control pipe. I'm really confused about it."

On an ABS system there are 2 parts. First is the CONTROL circuit which is the lever and master cylinder that you use to "control" the amount of braking you want. The other part is the WHEEL circuit that the ABS uses to send pressure to the brakes. So a control pipe is the pipe in the control circuit which you want to lengthen.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Reaver
Outta Here

Speigler is a good name and I trust them. Some Companies haven't kept current on the changes that happened in 2013 like the brakes and forks so it caused problems. Speigler seems to know. It just sounded too cheap to be the entire line. Installed correctly, you won't have any problems.

I'm only guessing that the entire line is made from flex hose material, I don't know. Rigid lines don't expand so it maintains a hard feel. With full flex hose there may be a bit more sponginess but I doubt it will be a concern. I haven't done this myself.

Good luck.