Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #46
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
Just trimming your unit to match the factory shield? ..................Just a little rounding and trimming the top would be good I am thinking???
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Just trimming your unit to match the factory shield? ..................Just a little rounding and trimming the top would be good I am thinking???
Exactly my thoughts......

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #48
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today is very exiting........ I get to cut it into something I like......or not....... As mentioned earlier......A project like this with the " design as you go along"..... You want to make it bigger....then trim as needed. I have been longing for that day.......since I thought that this fairing is big enough for both of my enduro`s..... First.... I had to build up the mounts, since I did not like the flatter contour of the bracket pattern. As with the bash guard.....aluminum foil was used to create the containment......

Then filled with a fiber/epoxy mixture.....

Then.....after those were filed to my liking with the nuclear dentist tool...( dremel)... The fairing was mounted up..... And the masking for the proposed lines could begin.....

I then cut it with a 16 tpi hacksaw........ Trying to control this awkward piece on the band saw would spell disaster. Two things I have come to realize......
1. I really like the rough battle look of matte finish.... And this is even before seeing the beautiful CF pattern.
2. You can mask the general big shape of an object by alter the curves........... Sounds like taken out of " What woman want"...starring Mel Gibson... But really in this build it really applied to the piece itself.
After the cut.......

And on the bike... Mind you... from the angle on the first shot ...it looks like the top is square... It is not....

Then the stock shield was trimmed to sort of fit the fairing.......In the down position.....

In the up position........

The fairing height and with is very close to the stock screen.... So I need to get some longer m5`s to hold the shield in place..... And then drive it with the fairing only.....before mounting the screen....... Until then.....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #49
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

All mounted up for the first test ride....... I am really starting to like it......

Report back in a few....after the ride......

Erling
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #50
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

I could just leave it like this......... It is very tolerable.... Although not a completely calm experience...... Very little head and neck buffeting. Without being in a widn tunnel ....it is very hard to say. But it has by far less annoying turbulence that the stock shield. I just went out for another ride with the cut piece in the high position...... And not sure I like that idea. Although calmer around the head...... my head is now in the small areas of turbulence.....but the stocker`s cool cut angles might not break the wind in a nice matter..... Time to put the skidmax under the knife. That leaves me with a Ztechnik tall to fall back on..... Nahhhhhh..... the alien head will never get back on my gs....

Erling
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #51
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031

Nice! Are you going to fashion some of those little robot brackets to it? Great idea.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #52
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH

Nice! Are you going to fashion some of those little robot brackets to it? Great idea.
Yeppers.......
Scrounged up some nylon and Aluminum spacers.... It will slide up and Down 6 inches.
Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 03:32 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #53
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

I used an old trick I found years back...... Since I am really starting to like this more and more by itself..... (without the screen).... I... instead of a top coat of epoxy to seal it...... I just rubbed the epoxy in the fairing...... Just like you would rub oil into a piece of furniture..... Wiping off the excess epoxy off. That will create a almost satin surface..... And I think....to me at least...... ... It looks awesome like that. It is drying right now...... Pics to follow in the morning......

Erling
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #54
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok.....here it is......

Here you can see the finish....kind of satin...... This is with the method mentioned above....... Without any finish added......

Video coming shortly.....

Erling

Edit: Video added........ Click on the thumb below....

ebrabaek screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 08:54 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #55
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,579
Very nice. You gonna toss on a coat of UV protection too?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #56
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Very nice. You gonna toss on a coat of UV protection too?
Yeppers....... After I decide whether or not to mount a screen on it....It`l get a coat of uv protection.....That will then get buffed to mimic the current finish....which I really like...

Erling
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #57
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time to cut the screen...... Used a 2 amp dremmel......router bit....and went for it..... Poor little thing...... I had to cool the little thing 4 times with compressed air........ Measeured, and taped.....200mm...

Ready....set....go.....

After the first side is done...... Note.... Went in two stages to get the with...

Arrrrggggggggggggg....... The toes........again.....

Ok...... I need your help....... I am going bonkers deciding weather or not to put up the screen. I thought as I go along with the groove cutting....etc.... The solution will present itself. The skinny...... I totally love the look of the fairing only. Every time I look at it from any side....but mostly riding....he-he.....
I could just leave it.... The wind breaks just under my neck....and leaves my head in mostly clean air. When I rode with the stocker...( about same size)... Although the wind had diminished.... There were the turbulence....just a little....never the less..... It was there. The other side......I think the screen breaks the nice lines of the screen........Wadayathink??????

In the down possition.....

In the up position......

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzze....

Erling
Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #58
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Looks great

Why don't you tape it securely in the up position and try it? Then maybe try half up. Then you will know if it's worth potentially ruining your work of art for functional benifits.

Or you could be like apple and just go for art for arts sake!

Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #59
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
Looks great

Why don't you tape it securely in the up position and try it? Then maybe try half up. Then you will know if it's worth potentially ruining your work of art for functional benifits.

Or you could be like apple and just go for art for arts sake!

Good idea...... As I tried it with the stock screen in the high position... I think I need to explore that with more saddle time...... It is hard to decide after a 15 minute ride...... Summer fast approaching in Aus...??? Our desert is cooling nicely.....

Erling
Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #60
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
..... Summer fast approaching in Aus...??? Our desert is cooling nicely.....

Erling
I think its supposed to be spring around here (New England region of NSW) but it started off with 0 degrees Celcius and a big frost this morning ... can't be long now!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote