Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #61
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I think its supposed to be spring around here (New England region of NSW) but it started off with 0 degrees Celcius and a big frost this morning ... can't be long now!
Nice...... Makes for a cold commute.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #62
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
EBRA- TOTALLY INCREDIBLE !!@@!!

Ya know, if one wanted to get really hyped up and artsie, one could imprenate the impression of a BMW Roundel, or "F800GS" into the CF... I think that would tit.
But that's just me :)
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #63
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,562
Don't go half way. That windshield should automatically raise and lower like on the K1200LT. Why make up your mind when you can flip a switch??

space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #64
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
EBRA- TOTALLY INCREDIBLE !!@@!!

Ya know, if one wanted to get really hyped up and artsie, one could imprenate the impression of a BMW Roundel, or "F800GS" into the CF... I think that would tit.
But that's just me :)
..... Funny thing is..... I don`t much care for advertising... First thing I did this afternoon when receiving the SW Motech crash bars.......was..... to rip off the stickers. Come to think of it.... I don`t even put logo`s on my own stuff...... I do like the bmw logo though..... But I`m fraid that`s the only piece on the bike..... ehhhh.... for now.....

Erling
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #65
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Don't go half way. That windshield should automatically raise and lower like on the K1200LT. Why make up your mind when you can flip a switch??

I know...I know....But............

Erling
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #66
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,336
Laugh Nice work!!!

I would trim a small triangle off the 2 top corners (edge) and 2 triangle corners off of the trailing bottom corners. I think this would give it a rounder look while still following the angular BMW style...

shield....black rails on the carbon with holes in the clear....slots may make noise??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Time to cut the screen...... Used a 2 amp dremmel......router bit....and went for it..... Poor little thing...... I had to cool the little thing 4 times with compressed air........ Measeured, and taped.....200mm...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzze....

Erling
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #67
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
I would trim a small triangle off the 2 top corners (edge) and 2 triangle corners off of the trailing bottom corners. I think this would give it a rounder look while still following the angular BMW style...

shield....black rails on the carbon with holes in the clear....slots may make noise??
The bottom trailing edge has a small triangle cut out.... I guess the angle does`nt show well... It is on par with the bottom leading edge.
As far as the top....... Hmmmm....... I`d have to go and tape it.....To see.
I am trying a friction fab mount....well....in theory.... in black CF..... It`s drying right no...... I will test it before mounting it on the fairing.... Pic`s will follow when done......

Erling
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #68
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hardware for the screen

I have looked around for the hardware that is used for the " in production screens" But have not been able to find anything. So I decided to make it all from scratch. It might never work.....But I will give it a try.......
It is hard to explain with out finished pic`s...... But In this picture you see several pieces made of...... Ehhhh... Carbon fiber.... Piece closest to you is the inner slide. This piece will be cut to a 3 inch section. The mount will have two on these. They will slide inside the two channels...( pictured farthest away)..... Then a 4 SS screws....collars....and the two handmade knobs ( pictured in the middle Threaded to m5).....It is about dry, and the next few days should revile the result.........

Here is the outer channel being cast.....around the inner slider...seperated by plastic.....held down by.... Well....you get the idea....

Erling
Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #69
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking FINISHED.......well....sort of....

I always wonder why I just don`t buy the hardware....rather than making all from scratch.... Perseverance.....stubbornness....stupidity..... .... You pick. Any way the results are usually the same.... You get a unique piece nobody else have..... For better or worse....... This job took a little longer than I thought , but as I was designing as I went..... That was to be expected....I guess. Anyway..... Wit only minor changes needed to the hardware....give and take a washer....longer SS screws...etc..... I will declare this done..... All the hardware before assembly.....

Rails....which added overall stiffness to the fairing.......

Rails mounted up........

Then all pieces in place.......

All in all.... I like it.... Wind protection is adequate........ Nice thing..... This will fit just about any screen..... So when/if the stock one does`nt cut it.... I`l just mount a new one....... Enjoy....

Erling
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #70
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,333
Very nice! I may have to look into doing something similar for the F650 Dakar. I'd like to have a mini-fairing and then take the factory screen and mount it on top of that.

Would it be possible to use this type of construction to make a new bezel that goes over my dash? #8 on this page: http://tinyurl.com/2d3os4n

John
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #71
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Very nice! I may have to look into doing something similar for the F650 Dakar. I'd like to have a mini-fairing and then take the factory screen and mount it on top of that.

Would it be possible to use this type of construction to make a new bezel that goes over my dash? #8 on this page: http://tinyurl.com/2d3os4n

John
There are a lot of crazy angles on that dashboard. If you have worked with CF before.... Then perhaps it`s worth giving it a go..... But I would advise against it as a first project. A project with crazy edges and corners are best saved for vacuum bagging... But if you`r gonna give it a world.... Use the " tacky method" It is covered in my other two CF threads.....

Erling
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #72
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,562
Very cool design and craftsmanship.

I'm a little confused by how the sliders work. In this picture ...

... what is actually "in" the slider's groove, holding the rest of the stuff on? Is it just the head of the bolt, or is there another CF piece in there?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #73
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
There are a lot of crazy angles on that dashboard. If you have worked with CF before.... Then perhaps it`s worth giving it a go..... But I would advise against it as a first project. A project with crazy edges and corners are best saved for vacuum bagging... But if you`r gonna give it a world.... Use the " tacky method" It is covered in my other two CF threads.....

Erling
No experience, but there are some easier pieces I can learn with. I'd like to make the dash a bit simpler. I was concerned about all the interior openings.

John
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #74
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,334
Excellent!!!

Hey one thought: What about putting the clear screen behind the CF screen?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #75
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Excellent!!!

Hey one thought: What about putting the clear screen behind the CF screen?
The benefit of having the smaller screen in front is that the air that comes inbetween the two screens creates low pressure behind the top of the raised screen... which reduces buffeting.