Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #76
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Very cool design and craftsmanship.

I'm a little confused by how the sliders work. In this picture ...

... what is actually "in" the slider's groove, holding the rest of the stuff on? Is it just the head of the bolt, or is there another CF piece in there?
Not yet...... Very observant eyes... For now.... The SS m5 has a nylon washer on it that rides on the inside of the rail......through the bracket as shown. I`m going back to Socal in the morning, so I did`nt have time to fab a CF bracket for the screw...... So this will have to do in the mean place. When you then tighten the knobs..... It pulls the spacer towards the inside of the rails....effectively locking the unit in position. You can get a close up on the ride oct 8....... Hope you are in town.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #77
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
No experience, but there are some easier pieces I can learn with. I'd like to make the dash a bit simpler. I was concerned about all the interior openings.

John
Good idea..... Did you see the other thread I have about wrapping the 8gs in CF..... A project like that would be an easier start.....

Erling
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #78
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Excellent!!!

Hey one thought: What about putting the clear screen behind the CF screen?
One big reason as Mark stated...... Laminar flow is important......

Erling
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #79
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Good idea..... Did you see the other thread I have about wrapping the 8gs in CF..... A project like that would be an easier start.....

Erling
Yes, I sure did. I also read the one about the bash plate....really good stuff!
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #80
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,376
I have a request, you should show us how to make CF panniers...

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #81
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
I have a request, you should show us how to make CF panniers...
..... I am currently toying with the idea.....except....they will be in Kevlar.....for the extra.....ehhhh...........abrasive resistance........ I think a set in yellow...( like the kevlar I used in the bash plate...) would compliment the bumblebee nicely......... Just imagine....A set of 5 lbs panniers.....

Erling
Old 09-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #82
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rode it this morning to the airport...... For the first time at 70+ mph......
I am quite familiar with the effect on energizing laminar air flow......But in a different application .....aviation. But today I have found new respect for it.
The screen is in the same position height, as when I just taped it to the screen. There are a lot difference. With the gap between the screen and fairing......( in the high pos.) the flow is a lot calmer...... I had somewhat calm air before....but with turbulence.... This have now been minimized. It is quite pleasant, and in many instances more pleasant than my tall Ztechnik.
I really think I have lucked out here.....but will take the score.......

Erling
Old 09-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #83
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Rode it this morning to the airport...... For the first time at 70+ mph......
I am quite familiar with the effect on energizing laminar air flow......But in a different application .....aviation. But today I have found new respect for it.
The screen is in the same position height, as when I just taped it to the screen. There are a lot difference. With the gap between the screen and fairing......( in the high pos.) the flow is a lot calmer...... I had somewhat calm air before....but with turbulence.... This have now been minimized. It is quite pleasant, and in many instances more pleasant than my tall Ztechnik.
I really think I have lucked out here.....but will take the score.......

Erling

do you think that an additional inverted triangle cutout in the main carbon fibre section would further improve the flow or hinder?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #84
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
do you think that an additional inverted triangle cutout in the main carbon fibre section would further improve the flow or hinder?
Funny you`d mention this...... I was q`ing myself the same question the day before yesterday. I thought that if one cut a 4-5 inch wide by 5-6 inch triangle out to aide the vision of the front wheel..... I know...I know....stupid could`nt help it........ But first I think that it would destroy the nice lines it now have. That is personal taste...... nevertheless....mine....he-he. Back to your question...... Chasing "energizing of laminar flow"......is sort of like chasing horsepower.....in a way..... You need a wind tunnel for it.... Like you need a dyno for the latter. You can do a lot of calculation in both matters but......the only way to know is to use the machines. There are a few principles that one can follow though...... And I struck gold. I`m not trying to elevate myself here....anyone with this knowledge can do this..... but if you follow a few guidelines you can usually improve the " quality of air"....in your face. There have been many experiments to aid the laminar flow in the aviation world..... One of the most interesting....to me..... was a Nasa/General Dynamics test involving using compressed air from the engines ( same air that jets use to presurize the cabin for the occupants) send it out through small pinholes in the wing to study the effect the boundary layer airflow now being excited. It involved some complex mechanics, but followed the very simple principle of energizing the laminar flow of air. In essence the same that I just experienced by introducing a small 1/2-3/4 inch gap between the fairing and screen. I`m surely not the first one thinking about this application...... I know of at least one screen manufacture that applies said gap in their fairing with great success. I have always thought that I`d not much care for the looks of the gap in the screen itself, and thought if I were to try this....The gap had to be between the fairing and the screen....achieving better lines....imho. Stunned I am to see how effective it is in this first try. All that said above......I`m sure most of you have fallen asleep, and the ones not....have either spilled the espresso on the keyboard or switched to something stronger........... I think .....and that`s all.....think... that if I increase that gap any much bigger....the effect will diminish the efficiency of this setup......specially with the addition of rain....which is a solid......and is a bully in aerodynamical terms.... Not confining to the flow.....but more yielding to gravity acceleration.....trying to follow the lighter air molecules chasing to rejoin the main airflow........OMG........See.....now you got me energized..
Time to switch to de-caf.....

Erling
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #85
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

about a year ago I was messing around with custom screen ideas... fell to the wayside. I used the MadStad Robobracket attached the the 800 screen and braced by the BMW touring brace. I then cut up a Powerbronze screen to use as the front screen. Worked fine but man was it a pain in the ass to adjust.

The huge thing that I discovered during my experiments was that a lot of the buffeting on your head/helmet was coming from down low.

I created a prototype winglet that fit behind the stock 800 screen to deflect the low wind better. Made quite a big difference.

You might want to try it out on your screen. I know we all think that making the screen taller is the answer but it's more air management as you know.

cheers,
Mark

Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #86
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
about a year ago I was messing around with custom screen ideas... fell to the wayside. I used the MadStad Robobracket attached the the 800 screen and braced by the BMW touring brace. I then cut up a Powerbronze screen to use as the front screen. Worked fine but man was it a pain in the ass to adjust.

The huge thing that I discovered during my experiments was that a lot of the buffeting on your head/helmet was coming from down low.

I created a prototype winglet that fit behind the stock 800 screen to deflect the low wind better. Made quite a big difference.

You might want to try it out on your screen. I know we all think that making the screen taller is the answer but it's more air management as you know.

cheers,
Mark

Interesting.....And I agree...... Without a tunnel...... It`s off course..... just my assumption.... But.... I also think that is the case regarding the air being disturbed from below. The beak is a main culprit...imho..... I suspected that most of the burbles were from the beak area...flowing through the side of the headlight between the screen and cluster.... up over the air intakes through the handle bars...... And as you suggested....it comes from below. Question.... When you did the testing.... Did you have the bash guards on at the time????? They help your fingers.... But in general create turbulence. I might try test by adding to the side of the fairing/headlight area...... But in honesty... I really like the way it sits right now......

Erling
Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #87
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

it kind of end up being an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' if you get something that's working.

the great benefit of your system, and the one I have now (Touratech Desierto), is that the adjustability allows it to work for different height people and different riding conditions.

I think everyone wishes they had the material, patience, capability, and motivation to make the parts like you are. Including me of course.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #88
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
it kind of end up being an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' if you get something that's working.

the great benefit of your system, and the one I have now (Touratech Desierto), is that the adjustability allows it to work for different height people and different riding conditions.

I think everyone wishes they had the material, patience, capability, and motivation to make the parts like you are. Including me of course.
Yeppers..... And as has been covered..... The D3....don`t work for all, as some have reported they work great, and some others.....not so great......And perhaps the " not so great" ones can learn from what you improved upon the D3, to suit them even better. I like the way yours look with the different screen.....Much better than what the D3 comes with....imho.....

Erling
Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #89
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just visited the friendly folks at San Diego BMW today...... Picked up a pair of xenon H7 from 1off motorsports..... Looking forward to install them in the fairing in the next couple of days when I get back home.....

Erling
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #90
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hid install can be seen here......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624794

Erling