User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Seanpistol OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
83 XL600r clutch slipping advice

Finally got my 83 XL600r street tracker road worthy. Went on the first ride the other day and she ran great, but my clutch is slipping bad at any high RPM, or I guess anything past about 1/8 throttle. It hooks up fine below that, but if I want to hammer on the throttle, she just slips. Couldn't get the bike above 55mph for that reason, and I was trying to not allow the clutch to slip by keeping the RPMs low.

During this process I put in a new inner clutch basket, and I lightly filed the grooves on the towers of the outer basket. Lightly filed as in until the grooves were gone and no further than that. The clutch plates didn't look excessively worn, so they went back in. I put a new gasket on and torqued everything to specs.

My first thought was that the lever was too tight and not letting the clutch all the way out, so I adjusted the lever almost all the way out, which you can see in a photo below. I don't feel like this is the issue.

I just pulled the clutch cover off and took a video of the movement in the clutch. I am not sure what's normal, but I expected the plates to move more than this. Anything look out of whack?

Xl600r clutch movement from Sean Kaldhusdal on Vimeo.

Also, as you might be able to see in the photo below- I am leaking oil out of something in the vicinity of the front sprocket. I'm wondering if it actually is from under my front sprocket since it seems that oil coated my chain. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion of where to look, or if there is a common leak in this area. I need to figure out where it's coming from before I order parts.

Any input or advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Seanpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Cut to the chase and replace the clutch and spring set. Done!

Oil leak. It's either the countershaft seal or where the stator wires come out of the stator. You did apply sealant to the harness grommet didn't you??? If you have a Ricky Stator then it is the leak source.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Seanpistol OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks! I ordered an EBC clutch kit the other day, hopefully it shows up soon. I'll look into the countershaft seal, no ricky stator. I didn't apply sealant to the harness because I haven't touched it or taken the left side cover off the bike.
Seanpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Just wondering what oil your using? Car oils can contain additives which can cause clutch slippage.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote