Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #1501
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
i am looking for a sp600 rear rack
i will post this the fm too
According to Cheapcycleparts.com, it's still available from the mothership, part number is
46310-14A20-34S And they're quoting a price of about $81 plus shipping. Good luck finding this one used, the SP was only offered for one year 1985. BTW, it's listed in the part of the fiche that covers the seat.

You might try posting on VJMC (vintage japanese motorcycle club mailing list.) I'm thinking this is gonna be a very hard to find part, tho.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #1502
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
the hunt is part of the fun

no huury maybe i will find a whole bike
Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #1503
Mungo
Monarch 53

Oddometer: 343
Camchain replacement

I've had a new camchain sitting on the bench for some time now. So I decided that today was the day to put it in. I've got the right side engine cover off, the cam cover off, and the old camchain out. The new chain is the same number of links as the old one. But obviously a bit shorter,(being new). For the life of me I can't get the damn thing on. If I put it snug on the bottom gear on the crank, I can't get it completely over the gear on the camshaft. If I put it snug on the gear on the camshaft, I can't get it over the gear on the crank. No amount of jiggling or wiggling has met with any success. There does not appear to be enough "give" in the thing to get it on. I'm reluctant to try and force it to much. I've given up for the day, before I break something. The only thought I've got is to put it in the oven tomorrow, heat it up, and give me some extra "give". Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mungo
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #1504
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

are you rplaceing al the guides as well?
did you loosen all the guides ?
do you have a manual ?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #1505
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo
I've had a new camchain sitting on the bench for some time now. So I decided that today was the day to put it in. I've got the right side engine cover off, the cam cover off, and the old camchain out. The new chain is the same number of links as the old one. But obviously a bit shorter,(being new). For the life of me I can't get the damn thing on. If I put it snug on the bottom gear on the crank, I can't get it completely over the gear on the camshaft. If I put it snug on the gear on the camshaft, I can't get it over the gear on the crank. No amount of jiggling or wiggling has met with any success. There does not appear to be enough "give" in the thing to get it on. I'm reluctant to try and force it to much. I've given up for the day, before I break something. The only thought I've got is to put it in the oven tomorrow, heat it up, and give me some extra "give". Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mungo
First get it on the bottom gear (crankshaft/drive sprocket)
Then pull the camshaft drive sprocket off of the camshaft (don't lose the bolts/lockwashers down inside)
Put the Camshaft drive sprocket inside of the chain, but off of the camshaft.
Put the camshaft on the head, but shifted to the left (away from the sprocket) relative to where it is properly aligned.
Remove the cam chain tensioner and loosen the guides (but don't remove the guides - I don't think they have to come out for this part).
Pull the cam drive sprocket as far up as it goes and it should rest on the camshaft without being in the "proper place" (you may need another 3mm of height to get it onto the exact positioning on the camshaft).
Slide the camshaft as far into the sprocket as it goes, and wiggle/finagle that sprocket as high as it can be, and get the camshaft in there slowly and gently.
Lots of patience and persistence, but it should go...
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #1506
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

how does the sp600 compare to the dr650
the frame and ect are the same only real differance is bore and stroke that i can see
does the 600 have better low end or about the same
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #1507
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
the frame and ect are the same only real differance is bore and stroke that i can see
I've never seen one, so this is only what I've read. The stuff I've read says that they are virtually identical, the main difference was that the SP had a CV (vacuum) carb and the DR (for '85) had an old fashioned cable operated carb. I googled it, and the pictures show some minor cosmetic differences.

Here's a fair comparison of the two bikes:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SP-series/SP600.shtml

Sorry, I didn't see that you were asking about comparisons between the 85 SP600 and (at the earliest, the '90) DR650. Don't know about that at all, tho a generation or two newer would tend to suggest upgrades in brakes, suspension, electrics, etc.

685 screwed with this post 05-24-2010 at 01:19 PM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #1508
TallPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
The 650 has a much better brakes- even after fitting a new piston, seals, braided line & new fluid, my DR600 had the worst front brake of any bike I've ever owned, including the Italian moped I had when I was 16!!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #1509
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul
The 650 has a much better brakes- even after fitting a new piston, seals, braided line & new fluid, my DR600 had the worst front brake of any bike I've ever owned, including the Italian moped I had when I was 16!!
Interesting, my 91 (rebuilt rear caliper) has perhaps the worst rear brake I've experienced in 35 years of riding. No stopping power, and kinda spongy. I know, I probably need to replace the pads & get a braided brake line set up. Money's tight. . .

Comparing to an 06, tho, the 91 is a lot more comfortable--the stock seat on my friend's 06 is like sitting on a 2X6 piece of lumber. I think the power range on the 91 is a little better than the newer bikes, too.

Neither are as comfy on the arse as the stock seat on the most recent generation of the KLR, tho. Better brakes, too. Better power, imho, but then my KLR has a 685 kit in it and a noisy pipe. Just too bad it's such a huge fat pig of a bike.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #1510
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
My Brake sucks too.

Rear that is on my 92 dr650. Exactly as you said spongy, I Just put on new pads and it definitly didn't change it much.
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...PDVeTsfLaxzCcq
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #1511
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Interesting, my 91 (rebuilt rear caliper) has perhaps the worst rear brake I've experienced in 35 years of riding. No stopping power, and kinda spongy. I know, I probably need to replace the pads & get a braided brake line set up. Money's tight. . .

Comparing to an 06, tho, the 91 is a lot more comfortable--the stock seat on my friend's 06 is like sitting on a 2X6 piece of lumber. I think the power range on the 91 is a little better than the newer bikes, too.

Neither are as comfy on the arse as the stock seat on the most recent generation of the KLR, tho. Better brakes, too. Better power, imho, but then my KLR has a 685 kit in it and a noisy pipe. Just too bad it's such a huge fat pig of a bike.
I have braided and some no-name brand of brake on my '91 and it's fine ... the front is fine and the rear isn't quick to lock up, but isn't spongy either.
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #1512
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

it looks like the brakes are the big thing between an sp600 and dr650
and rear suspension was refined
i was wondering if the sp600 has better low end or quicker reving with it smaller piston and shorter stroke
maybe i should find one and buy it
Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #1513
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredware
Rear that is on my 92 dr650. Exactly as you said spongy, I Just put on new pads and it definitly didn't change it much.
The hoses are probably flexing and/or you may have air in the lines.

Switch to braided stainless lines, they're not only better than stock they're less $$ too.

Those rubber hoses are just too old to be trusted!

I'd also get new seals and wipers for the calipers and rebuild them...it's cheap and super easy to do.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #1514
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
it looks like the brakes are the big thing between an sp600 and dr650
and rear suspension was refined
i was wondering if the sp600 has better low end or quicker reving with it smaller piston and shorter stroke
maybe i should find one and buy it
I don't know, but there is this:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1755130596.html

& this: http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/1702380762.html

The one in Cleveland looks really quite nice. Wonder what his price is?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #1515
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

thank you for the the head up
i have e-mailed both
waiting on a reply