Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #1531
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
So are you going to change it back to the stock wheel & tire combination?

The previous owner of my 91 gave me stuff to get started on a super moto conversion (spoked wheels, tho.) I am enjoying the bike in stock form, tho, and had an unsatisfactory outcome trying to 'modernize' the tire/wheel combo on another bike. Smaller wheel on the front made my old GPz Turbo feel too twitchy/unstable.
Well.....yeah....that's kinda the whole point of the small front wheel. To make it turn in faster, which will definitely feel twitchy compared to that big 21" hoop.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #1532
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
So are you going to change it back to the stock wheel & tire combination?

The previous owner of my 91 gave me stuff to get started on a super moto conversion (spoked wheels, tho.) I am enjoying the bike in stock form, tho, and had an unsatisfactory outcome trying to 'modernize' the tire/wheel combo on another bike. Smaller wheel on the front made my old GPz Turbo feel too twitchy/unstable.
Was joking, not boring at all, fun by all means . I have original rim too, I can change 'em in about 20min's. Offroad only with '21!!
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #1533
GSsser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
what oil?

What oil are you guys using for your drs?
Yesterday @ the dealers they offered me suzuki oil, mineral I think, for 4 $ a liter but they said they have better, synthetic stuff for 20$ a liter.
What would you suggest?

How often do u lubricate chain?

My bike is pretty much new (1991 but 1500km on it) I wanna maintain it well.
GSsser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #1534
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSsser
Yesterday @ the dealers they offered me suzuki oil, mineral I think, for 4 $ a liter but they said they have better, synthetic stuff for 20$ a liter.
What would you suggest?

Bring on the flamez, but i've been running rotella synthetic in all my bikes for about three years now. Inexpensive, covers the manufacturers reqs and no problems. Also now available in more places than Walmart . Lawd but i hate Walmart.

But i lurve Rotella Synth.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #1535
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSsser
What would you suggest?

Oil and Chain lube .....
Oil = cheap 10-40 stuff at Advance Auto Parts
Chain lube = spray wax stuff whatever they have at the parts store

And my DR is up for sale folks. Help a guy with a bum knee out and get this thing outta my garage before I hurt myself some more.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583909

Hey Inire; you get that package?
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #1536
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I buy Rotella non synthetic by the case (6-1 gallon jugs) from Walmart. No cost savings, but I don't have to go there as often. The viscosity I use is 15w40, and I live in a place (Tucson AZ) where the temp in traffic can easily be 110 degrees.

Rotella consistantly gets great reviews, it's getting to be a favorite among M/C owners. It's a heavy truck oil--for turbo diesels, very heavy duty and resistant to heat.

It goes in everything, the motorhome, the DR, & the KLR. On the bikes, the change interval is between 1700 and 2000 miles, but I double the interval on the filter. On the motorhome (Ford 460 V8) I go 3500 or so.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #1537
kitsapian
Miserly Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thought I'd share these pics from last weekend on the Olympic Peninsula near Hood Canal.

Power Line Ride

Drying off after a hail storm

Power Line Ride 2
Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #1538
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
Oil and Chain lube .....

Hey Inire; you get that package?
Dood. I was just about to give you new address, assuming you hadn't gotten to it.

I mentioned to my wife that when we get to the new place, she should keep an eye out for a small package.

She reaced into the trash and pulled out your stuff. "you mean this? Came last week. I thought you knew."

There are some things i may never comprehend.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #1539
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by inire
Dood. I was just about to give you new address, assuming you hadn't gotten to it.

I mentioned to my wife that when we get to the new place, she should keep an eye out for a small package.

She reaced into the trash and pulled out your stuff. "you mean this? Came last week. I thought you knew."

There are some things i may never comprehend.
Frack. Well at least it made it. Whew.
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #1540
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
i got home last night with my 1991 dr650 in box
i bought it from an inmate in rockford il
long drive from charleston,wv.
but we did get some great pizza near chicago

picked up the bike and headed towards home

we stopped at wright patterson

then home
today while cleaning the bike up i found 6 stowaways baby mice in the airbox the lady that took them said they are about 12 days old
more later
Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #1541
northerndancer
wandering spirit

Oddometer: 90
don't sell it trust

Hey Trust,

Where are you moving to? Bring your parts boxes with you. It will be cheaper to ship the stuff to me.

Maybe your move is the first step in the cross continental, dr650s shipping service I was dreaming about last year...

Kevin
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #1542
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
i got home last night with my 1991 dr650 in box
i bought it from an inmate in rockford il
long drive from charleston,wv.
but we did get some great pizza near chicago
today while cleaning the bike up i found 6 stowaways baby mice in the airbox the lady that took them said they are about 12 days old
more later
That pizza looks icky!

I'm impressed tho on the distance you drove to go get your DR! I got mine on an 800 mile round trip--one day.

When you get things unpacked and organized, I want pics. And, of course, if there's any info I can help with let me know (I have a 91 in the carport, & a manual and the parts catalog in my computer.)

Did it have a complete motor? Did you get a GREAT deal? What there is looks good in the pics.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #1543
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredware
That is a DIFFERENT sensor than I got, still gotta take a pic but that is different.
Well, since it wasn't a direct bolt-on any way, I did some hacking and mounted it with a pipe-clamp, glued the magnet with 2 component glue to the disc; it now looks like this:

Soon I'll hook up the computer and rebuild the wire-harness; I see now two wire-harnesses coming from underneath my tank going to my headlight unit so that can be done better.

Now I will send the drawing of a stainless steel insert, to replace the speedo-meter sensor, to some machine work shop.

By the way, how did you connect the RPM sensor? Can the RPM sensor inside the engine be used or is that giving out a voltage and not a pulse? Does any one knows that?
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #1544
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX
Well, since it wasn't a direct bolt-on any way, I did some hacking and mounted it with a pipe-clamp, glued the magnet with 2 component glue to the disc; it now looks like this:

Soon I'll hook up the computer and rebuild the wire-harness; I see now two wire-harnesses coming from underneath my tank going to my headlight unit so that can be done better.

Now I will send the drawing of a stainless steel insert, to replace the speedo-meter sensor, to some machine work shop.

By the way, how did you connect the RPM sensor? Can the RPM sensor inside the engine be used or is that giving out a voltage and not a pulse? Does any one knows that?
The RPM sensor is given to you by trail tech it's a little "clamp" type deal that goes around your plug wire.
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...PDVeTsfLaxzCcq
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #1545
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
Here's an RR for you guys

This Saturday I had a route picked out from Minturn, CO to Twin Lakes, CO that I wanted to ride on my way to Buena Vista, CO to meet some friends for a birthday celebration. I live in Breckenridge I started from there had to be in Buena Vista by 11.

Woke up at the crack of 7am and left Breck to slab it to Minturn.

Heading over Vail Pass it got a bit chilly, but no time to stop to change gloves as I had to be in Buena Vista by 11 and I wasnt sure how my route was gonna work out.

Passed through Minturn.

After going over Battle Mtn. I tried my hand at No Name Rd. just before Camp Hale.

It wasn't too bad, not much mud, a few downed trees but I was able to zip past them. Got to the end of the road where I had noticed on Google Earth that there was a trail connecting that to Wurt's Ditch Rd. Upon arrival I found the trail, deep in the woods and with 6 months of snowmobile usage it was too deep and steep so I had to turn around. This picture timed perfectly with me taking an iphone photo...
the GoPro shot-

the iPhone shot

So I turned around an headed back down No Name Rd. and took the scenic way across Camp Hale.

After passing through Leadville I hit up CR 11 on my way out to meet up with Trail 130

Trail 130 is on some sort of Pipeline I assume, at first it's wide open...

Then it winds through some small amounts of Forest to the West.

If you stay on 130N it sticks to the cleared "pipeline area" with some real steep rocky decents and climbs, thought about trying it but then again I was on a schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
This hill is just east of where 130 ends; due north of the "graph paper" suburb type streets (looking north east you can see 24 below on the far side of the valley - the pavement below us at bottom of the hill is CO10)

Here's my version of Geek's hill "due north of the "graph paper" suburb type streets" Going Up!

After getting a little lost in the "graph paper" I got back out on the road I needed and went straight for Hwy. 82 (somewhat straight).

After a quick stop in Granite,

I pushed on to BV and ended with a Burger at K's.

All in all it was a good morning ride even though I got shut down by snow at a point, I'll definitely be back to connect that route once it warms up.

This ride was followed by an awesome raft trip down the Numbers, which was prime. Then beers around the camp fire.

Here's the link to my SPOT if you wanna check out it's ping's for my route.
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote