Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #1561
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Yeah, that would be me that's got
That muffler is the same (tho not cut off with a sawzall) as what I used on my 91. You just cut the pipe part down and put in some flexible exhaust pipe (1 1/2 in.) from Autozone. A little welding and voila!
I saw your post indeed, and it's a great idea indeed, but check out the back of that exhaust I posted; that's not how it should be
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #1562
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
My DR sounds bad with any oil . I was running mineral MOTUL but semisynt is better, think i'll take Bardhal next!

p.s. i am a mechanic and have a masters in IC engines, and I too say, put in what is said there should be in. At least for the beginning, in time, you will see what fits your engine the best!
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1563
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
I want to move West - I don't know where yet. I need to find a job before I move some place definitive, and I want to find places I'd like to live before just blindly applying for jobs. Colorado, ...
What type of J-O-B you looking for?
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...PDVeTsfLaxzCcq
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #1564
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic
My DR sounds bad with any oil . I was running mineral MOTUL but semisynt is better, think i'll take Bardhal next!

p.s. i am a mechanic and have a masters in IC engines, and I too say, put in what is said there should be in. At least for the beginning, in time, you will see what fits your engine the best!
Kinda interesting, since I changed to a quiet, OEM style muffler I can actually hear my 91 engine. Lots of mechanical noise, but for a 20 year old engine with 22,000 miles, it sounds pretty darned good. I suspect it's built like an old Soviet era tank--clunky, heavy, and noisy--but built robust and able to take some abuse.

We don't really want to get into an oil thread, do we? I ride an air cooled bike in a really hot climate. I change my oil frequently because of the heat, but mostly because motorcycle gear boxes tend to shear the molecule strings--and that cuts viscosity by about half after 2000 miles. Don't ask for a citation, google motorcycle oil discussions--Motorcycle Consumer News did a definitive reasearch project back in the mid 90's.

KLR guys like to laugh about the Briggs & Stratton sound of the big thumper's motor. Both the KLR and our DR's are OLD technology. Even Walmart dino oil is so much better than the oils of even 20 years ago. High priced spred is just a waste of money.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #1565
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
I change my oil frequently because of the heat, but mostly because motorcycle gear boxes tend to shear the molecule strings--and that cuts viscosity by about half after 2000 miles.
How about the filter, you change that every 4k miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Kinda interesting, since I changed to a quiet, OEM style muffler I can actually hear my 91 engine. Lots of mechanical noise, but for a 20 year old engine with 22,000 miles, it sounds pretty darned good. I suspect it's built like an old Soviet era tank--clunky, heavy, and noisy--but built robust and able to take some abuse.
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #1566
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX
How about the filter, you change that every 4k miles?
Yeah, every other oil change.

I'm getting the urge to adjust the balancer chain tensioner and check the valve clearances, too.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #1567
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685

I'm getting the urge to adjust the balancer chain tensioner and check the valve clearances, too.
That's an evil urging.....I'd resist it as long as possible.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #1568
Scarred Adventurer

Punto, Tdrrally: you've got private messages.

Speaking of tanks:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/fla...id=89215589001

685 screwed with this post 06-01-2010 at 05:20 PM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #1569
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredware
What type of J-O-B you looking for?
I'll PM you more details, but I'm a hearty hybrid of scientist and engineer. I'm not looking for a J-O-B so much as more something to throw my passion into. I love taking projects and making them work. Give me a challenge, I'll beat it. I can do hardware, software, electronics, mechanicals, algorithms, machine code, etc. I prefer to do higher-level stuff in regards to system design/engineering, but I love to get my hands dirty. You or anyone else on here have any leads?

Note: I'd really love to get into a "smaller" company, or something with 3-10 employees where I could know the whole company instead of being a cog in the machine.
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #1570
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685

We don't really want to get into an oil thread, do we? I ride an air cooled bike in a really hot climate. I change my oil frequently because of the heat, but mostly because motorcycle gear boxes tend to shear the molecule strings--and that cuts viscosity by about half after 2000 miles. Don't ask for a citation, google motorcycle oil discussions--Motorcycle Consumer News did a definitive reasearch project back in the mid 90's.

KLR guys like to laugh about the Briggs & Stratton sound of the big thumper's motor. Both the KLR and our DR's are OLD technology. Even Walmart dino oil is so much better than the oils of even 20 years ago. High priced spred is just a waste of money.
My DR has 75k km's till now, question is, did it have 42k when I bought it?? It's a nasty thing when buying from Italy . I change my oil every 4k km's, so don't waste your money on an expensive oil!!!
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #1571
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
so far it looks good
i'm going to need some crank parts
parts 2-5

or a good used crank
i plan on putting a new cam chain and guides in too

more later
I may have a spare 91 crank, you interested?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #1572
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
i sure would be
pm me
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #1573
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
i sure would be
pm me
PM sent. Second PM sent. Better deal!

685 screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 09:56 AM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #1574
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
PM sent. Second PM sent. Better deal!
pm sent back
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #1575
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

while i have my dr all apart is there any thing i should check out
any performance mods that can be done

i am going to check the stock shock with the drz250 shock and see what it will take to make the sweet part work.

i also have a spare set of drz250 forks , i have been looking into making them work . so far they are about an inch to short