Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #151
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer: 541
mnormad: Great dude! When you're putting your new brake pads on, let me know how it goes - I'm replacing the pads on my '82 Maxim right now, and the piston's so hard to push back in, I had to put it in a vice to do so. When it got to that point, I got wise and stopped pushing so hard - trying to figure out why it's so hard, instead of forcing it, and maybe breaking something. (The vice was barely making any headway, pushing the caliper back in...)

MaxPower: Welcome! Don't forget to fill your profile and location out, so we can know a bit about you. There's a thread about pennytech (build your own) panniers and side cases, if you're into fabricating your own. There's also an ebay supplier who makes oversized rear racks, which have gotten great reviews across the board - I think they'll fit your '92. Do some forum searches for "side rack" or "hard case" ... you'll find some stuff.

So I went out and picked up the starter fluid, and some seafoam, and disc brake cleaner (for the above-mentioned Maxim). I sprayed some starter fluid in to give her a try on starting, but when I pulled the decompression valve lever, it just clicked back down. IIRC, there was something about decompression valve adjustment too? I guess I missed doing that one....
SteveBroskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #152
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
Im new to the DR world and am haveing trouble finding stuff for this older bike.
ebay search for "DR650" turned up these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DR650...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DR650...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #153
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
chain balancer adjustment

Well, another task done! I hate to bore the more experienced here, but only posting for the lessor gifted and noobs like me.

I have been waiting for a parts shipment containing a magneto cover gasket, so when I did the chain balancer thing, I would install a new gasket. Rather than waiting, thought I would give it a try anyway, especially sitting around reading this forum after work this evening.

Removed bash plate, drained oil, removed shifter and cs sprocket cover, then magneto cover. Kept track of bolts and positions, a few are shorter on both these covers.

Never having done this before, the resistance I felt when trying to pull the mag cover off was disconcerting at first, like a spring pulling from the inside. But as everyone knows, it was the magnets inside, and with gentle back and forth rocking, the cover easily slipped off.

The chain was indeed loose, and no doubt making those shrill noises I was hearing. Followed the service manual, no probs except the two large allen screws/bolts/whatever. They were tight, but careful pressure worked. The chain tightened itself right up, everything back together, refilled oil, and WHOOHOO no more noise Damn!

Next it's valve adjustments, just gotta buy some hi-temp RTV sealant first for the inspection covers.
QUESTION: This is a 1991 DR650 with that slotted small cover in the center of the mag cover. What's the best tool/method to open that? I can always just remove the whole mag cover to find TDC.

And a front fork seal that is leaking. Wish I could find a blow by blow pictorial on that, manual is unclear to me.
QUESTION: maybe I should remove that tube and bring to dealer for seal replacement? Probably wil do Jesse springs soon after.

Onward !
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #154
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

ttt sorry, but hit an error last night when posting, and for some reason this thread didn't go to the top. Not sure what happened.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #155
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
You don't need to open anything to find tdc, just take a spark plug out, and spin the motor (I put it in gear and turn the rear tire), put your finger on the spark plug hole, when you are getting close it'll blow your finger off. use a screwdriver or similar to feel the piston go to the top. Be careful not to get the screwdriver wedged by the piston.

Fork seals are pretty easy. Remove the fork tube, drain the oil. There is a spring retainer above the seal - you should be able to see it once you have the boot off. My tricky way to remove the seals was this - I took the fork tube cap off and drained the oil. Now, I put a bunch of duct tape over the top of the cap - like 4+ layers, extending about 2" down the fork tube. I put a hose clamp around the duct tape to further secure it. Now, I poked a small hole in the duct tape, and put an air nozzle in that. I pulled the trigger on the air nozzle and watched the fork seal slide on up. Once it's out of the recess, you can just pull it up and over the slider, replace and done deal.

Good luck.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #156
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
QUESTION: This is a 1991 DR650 with that slotted small cover in the center of the mag cover. What's the best tool/method to open that? I can always just remove the whole mag cover to find TDC.
17mm wrench for the access/view hole on the left side of the engine case (above magneto), remove bolt. Impact wrench with flat-head bit fit in slot on mag. cover, hit twice with hammer, should spin right off. After that, re-tighten yourself with a large flat-head screwdriver, being sure not to death-tighten, you'll be able to use that same screwdriver each time in the future. I'm getting good with finding TDC compression from all these stinking valve adjustments trying to get mine started. The screwdriver idea isn't bad, just never occurred to me before. Make sure if you want TDC compression you do TDC compression and not TDC vent. Makes a big difference.

mnormad: question/favor - could you take a video of you starting your '91 from cold? I want to see what it should sound like and how close I'm getting, and what to do/try differently. A close-up picture of the right-side of your carborator while attached to airbox and engine could be helpful too.

Still can't get her started, even tried a pop-start on Sunday
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #157
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

start

Steve, thx for the help on the cover. I tried with a large screwdriver last night, and immediately stopped. I do have an impact wrench, but think I will try toolfan's idea (thx Toolfan) turning the wheel. Should not have any trouble getting the view hole bolt off either.

Re cold start, I'm much better at it now.
With key off, I pull choke to fully open position.
About 6-8 easy kicks with compression release pulled, to "prime the pump" as someone stated.
Turn key on, let go compression release, bring kicker to top, usually one good kick and it starts.
Let run for a minute or so on full choke, then switch to 1/2 choke, another minute or so, then close choke, another minute, then ride.
I have excellent idle thru all of this, no kills, just purrrrrsssss. Sweet !

Also, I think my bike might have come from California, I will take closeup pics of both sides of carb and post for info. How else to tell? Is there simple stuff I can remove if needed? Were there restrictions on 1991 bikes?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #158
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
Re cold start, I'm much better at it now.
With key off, I pull choke to fully open position...

Also, I think my bike might have come from California, I will take closeup pics of both sides of carb and post for info. How else to tell? Is there simple stuff I can remove if needed? Were there restrictions on 1991 bikes?
Glad you're getting better at it, what I'm really looking for is some way to listen to how it sounds when you're trying to start it, so that I can compare what I hear on mine to how it sounds on a good runner.

As far as Cali goes, they have emissions cannisters for fuel vapors. If you have access to a manual with Cali specs. (often in the back/appendix/index) then look for where those canisters would be located, see if you have canisters on yours.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #159
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
You don't need to open anything to find tdc, just take a spark plug out, and spin the motor (I put it in gear and turn the rear tire), put your finger on the spark plug hole, when you are getting close it'll blow your finger off. use a screwdriver or similar to feel the piston go to the top. Be careful not to get the screwdriver wedged by the piston.

Fork seals are pretty easy. Remove the fork tube, drain the oil. There is a spring retainer above the seal - you should be able to see it once you have the boot off. My tricky way to remove the seals was this - I took the fork tube cap off and drained the oil. Now, I put a bunch of duct tape over the top of the cap - like 4+ layers, extending about 2" down the fork tube. I put a hose clamp around the duct tape to further secure it. Now, I poked a small hole in the duct tape, and put an air nozzle in that. I pulled the trigger on the air nozzle and watched the fork seal slide on up. Once it's out of the recess, you can just pull it up and over the slider, replace and done deal.

Good luck.
CLICK HERE for another method of removing fork seals...worked great for me!

TDC ......I did it similar to toofan......the compression release lever is a tdc finder....then I watched the intake valves cycle to make sure I was on the compression stroke...then fine tuned as posted above.

p.s my thread in the garage forum now has a video imbedded so you can hear the noise I'm getting in 3rd gear CLICK HERE

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #160
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Ugh - whatever it is, yuck!
Nothing mechanical, but a video suggestion for next time: prop that rear wheel up using a cinder block on the skid plate and get up into third while stationary. It'll eliminate wind noise, and you can know if it persists while the tire's not under load.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #161
MaxPower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Seat help

Ok looking to replace that skinny thing they call a seat on my DR650. Is the gel seat from Suzuki worth it or should I just spend the big bux on a Corbin?? I got the front fender figured out and still looking for some racks.

Thanx in advance
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #162
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
Different seats

I dont think that the ew seats fit thses older bikes. I think that you can get Corbin to make the OLD seat, but the new seat (Corbin or gel)doesnt swap as far as I have heard.
quint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #163
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
Ok looking to replace that skinny thing they call a seat on my DR650. Is the gel seat from Suzuki worth it or should I just spend the big bux on a Corbin?? I got the front fender figured out and still looking for some racks.

Thanx in advance
The biggest problem with that stock seat is the pan!!!

It's formed like a square honey comb.....
molded ridges for strength....
and the foam is too soft.....
so you sink down onto a knifes edge......
not good.

I think the Suzuki Gel seat uses the same pan.......
so it's only slightly better than the foam.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #164
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBroskey
Ugh - whatever it is, yuck!
Nothing mechanical, but a video suggestion for next time: prop that rear wheel up using a cinder block on the skid plate and get up into third while stationary. It'll eliminate wind noise, and you can know if it persists while the tire's not under load.
Hi,
I tried that and it's most noticeable under load.....

I shoud have tried mouting the camera to the bike though, looking directly at the chain with the mike pointed away from the wind.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #165
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Hi,
I tried that and it's most noticeable under load.....

I shoud have tried mouting the camera to the bike though, looking directly at the chain with the mike pointed away from the wind.
I hate to say it - but I think that is a bearing letting go.

How many miles does yours have?
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote