Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #3556
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitBlue View Post
My gas tank has developed a weird pair of TINY pin holes right near the top, basically on the mid seam where the top starts to curve down between your legs. I guess it must be a thin spot along where they welded the 2 halves together(?) .... anyway, it only weeps gas very slowly and then only when I fill the tank all the way to the top, so it's not too much of a bother. But I figure it will only get worse, it will certainly rust, and I need to either fix or replace the tank, which is a shame since my tank is pretty much perfect otherwise.

So, I'm going to try fixing it with a tiny blob of gas tank repair putty (fuel-proof epoxy), then sand it smooth and touch up over it. However, I also see that I can get the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank for about $200, and this might be just the excuse I need to justify yet another aftermarket purchace for my 18 year old motorcycle.

Question is, is it worth it? Is it significantly lighter than stock? Any downside? Will it shift the fuel weight forward and affect handling? Is it much wider than the stock tank and look goofy or get in my way? Will I be sad when I see my flashy "DR" tank graphics replaced by a vast expanse of plain white plastic?

Any opinions/advice?

Mike
I am having the same problem, it got really bad before i noticed it. Now its in the shop getting welded. The newer DR's are braced a little better where they bolt to the frame leaving less stress to the tank.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #3557
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Anybody fit a muffler from other bikes to our pre-96 Drs? I can't find anything but the ebay CZR.
I did it on my '94. Used a GSXR 1000 can.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3237
TacitBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #3558
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
I am having the same problem, it got really bad before i noticed it. Now its in the shop getting welded. The newer DR's are braced a little better where they bolt to the frame leaving less stress to the tank.
I messed with trying to fix it for a while, but eventually gave up and sprung for the Acerbis tank.
Won't the welding affect a large area of the paint?

The '94 definitely looks good wth the Acerbis tub:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3396
TacitBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #3559
Cobain
night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitBlue View Post
I messed with trying to fix it for a while, but eventually gave up and sprung for the Acerbis tank.
Won't the welding affect a large area of the paint?

The '94 definitely looks good wth the Acerbis tub:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3396
I found your gsxr can on here shortly after posting, that helps so much. We will see how this tank ends up when i get it back, id like to keep it since its in decent shape.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3560
Cobain
night owl

94 dr 650 $1350

killswitch

home made pre-filter haha

nice set of hooters ya got there!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #3561
markplace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
still has hanging idle

Anybody know whether the ignition circuit can cause a hanging idle? Before dropping coin for a new carb I'm trying to eliminate all other things? It was suggested to me by fine people at Sudco to check it as a possibility. If you've seen my previous posts on this carb you'll see I've gone through it thoroughly. Also, I've seen BST40's for sale (cheaper than $300); any owners of this carb happy with it?
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3562
Cobain
night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by markplace View Post
Anybody know whether the ignition circuit can cause a hanging idle? Before dropping coin for a new carb I'm trying to eliminate all other things? It was suggested to me by fine people at Sudco to check it as a possibility. If you've seen my previous posts on this carb you'll see I've gone through it thoroughly. Also, I've seen BST40's for sale (cheaper than $300); any owners of this carb happy with it?
had the same problem, i just turned my idle way down low and it quit. It causes it to die on occasion if its not warmed up.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #3563
markplace
Adventurer

Quote:
had the same problem, i just turned my idle way down low and it quit. It causes it to die on occasion if its not warmed up.
Are you talking about the bst or an aftermarket carb? Mine is a flat slide tm38 bored to 41mm. (it came with the bike when I bought it)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #3564
markplace
Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, I may be the biggest big dumbass, but I just tried it. It's a cold day out so that may play a bit on this, but I ran the idle screw way down and adjusted the pilot for a bit and it's working. I don't want to date or anything, but I think I might, at least, owe you a beer. There was a lot of angst coming from this problem. And money I don't have to spend on it. Thanks Cobain
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3565
markplace
Adventurer

Acerbis tank

The Acerbis tank really rocks. Plenty of fuel. I used automotive fuel tubing and a better "T" from the auto parts store. The breather on the cap is the only questionable part. There's not quite enough nipple to grab onto. Had a short breather threaded through the cap cover and subsequently lost both of them in the dark. Not a fan of the quick fill cap either. It would be nice to find a regular cap with a better breather nipple.

markplace screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:46 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #3566
Cobain
night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by markplace View Post
Ok, I may be the biggest big dumbass, but I just tried it. It's a cold day out so that may play a bit on this, but I ran the idle screw way down and adjusted the pilot for a bit and it's working. I don't want to date or anything, but I think I might, at least, owe you a beer. There was a lot of angst coming from this problem. And money I don't have to spend on it. Thanks Cobain
Sick tank. I have the stock carb, it always touchy with the idle so low when its cold, but when it warms up good its good to go. That hangin idle problem had me stumped for a while.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #3567
Cobain
night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX View Post

No no, it was just me taking off those damn side plastics that always get damaged and editing the photo to see how it would look IF I fill it up and paint it. It also will give better access to the engine...
Nooo! Looks way too goofy without them. They give it a old dakar look.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #3568
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Question Balancer chain.

Hi all,

What happends if you don't check the balancer chain? Are there any symptoms to it going bad?

I've had a '90 RS for a few yrs now, and I hate to say have done nothing in that dept.

Likely more questions to come and some pics of the beast as well when I get into replacing rings, piston, valve seals and the cam chain ensioner and guide. I want to end the black soot on the signals and only have to fill it with gas. The guide and tensioner is to try and quiet the beast down. I only want to hear the THUMP when she's running.

Any advice as I take this on is welcomed!

Cheers
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #3569
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
I'm going to be honest, after 22 years, I finally checked mine. Only 9700 or do miles, and it was still pretty snug. I did adjust, but mine never made noise. Shouldn't hurt anything if it isn't that loose, but it's a simple adjustment, so you might as well if you've got the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Hi all,

What happends if you don't check the balancer chain? Are there any symptoms to it going bad?

I've had a '90 RS for a few yrs now, and I hate to say have done nothing in that dept.

Cheers
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #3570
Cobain
night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Hi all,

Likely more questions to come and some pics of the beast as well when I get into replacing rings, piston, valve seals and the cam chain ensioner and guide. I want to end the black soot on the signals and only have to fill it with gas. The guide and tensioner is to try and quiet the beast down. I only want to hear the THUMP when she's running.

Any advice as I take this on is welcomed!

Cheers
It will get very loose and vibrate like hell, eventually will skip teeth and need to be reset on the right teeth.