Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #3796
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
I have been getting an itch to spend some more money on the DR. I like the look and sound of FMF but will entertain any bargain out there.

I see all the aftermarket pipes are set up for the gerneric looking, post '96 SE models. So my question is, if one were to install directly to the classic, old school DR would it require any modifications?

Thanks!
Greg,

The SE pipes are very different and would need a new mid-pipe made. The RS model header pipe is also different to the 650S and 650R models so a slip on to fit them would need some modification to fit your bike. I'm guessing the RS header is a bit shorter to allow for the split to 2 mufflers. You could try a used stainless muffler off a 450 MX bike and get a mid-pipe made, or spend about 450 bucks for an RS specific slip on from Europe.

Cheers,
David
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #3797
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 318
Thanks David.

I am planning to use the stock header pipe and have the mid pipe fabricated here in CR . Although the Euro kits are nice, the thought of spending $450 and then do the international shipping thing also makes me go .

Now another question is spawned... can I use a 450 can on a 650 bike? I had a friend who put aftermarket upgrades on a Seca II and he said it ran horribly until the dealership tuned it.

Santa is going to be good to the DR this year.

Pura Vida
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #3798
@ndy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Laugh

Quote:

Now another question is spawned... can I use a 450 can on a 650 bike? I had a friend who put aftermarket upgrades on a Seca II and he said it ran horribly until the dealership tuned it.

Santa is going to be good to the DR this year.p

Pura Vida
I would say yes as long that the carbs jet is tuned properly, I have a 1000 exhaust on my katana 750, but somebody with more knowledge can probably give more info. Just a couple of questions for you:
I see you have a printed manual for working on your bike, which year / model manual do you use? Because I can only find standard DR S manuals and not specific Dr RS or RSE, or is the same?
Same thing when buying parts on the parts list of US website there is not RS?
@ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #3799
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Big singles like BIG volume mufflers. There's a lot of gas being shoved out the pipe in one big hit rather than the relatively constant flow from a multi cylinder bike.

If you get stock silencers from other bikes like GSXRs etc, you'll want to get them from the 1000 cc bikes. Many guys have had good results with the GSXR 1000 cc silencers from the early model bikes. These have become difficult to find. Others are having good luck with Hayabusa silencers

Your jetting will likely have to be adjusted to compensate

The USofA never got the RS or RSE model 650 which is why you'll not see parts or manuals listed for those bikes on US part sites.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #3800
@ndy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

The USofA never got the RS or RSE model 650 which is why you'll not see parts or manuals listed for those bikes on US part sites.
That's interesting I wonder why Suzuki made the RS/E model available for South America, Australia and Europe but not USofA.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #3801
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks David.

I am planning to use the stock header pipe and have the mid pipe fabricated here in CR . Although the Euro kits are nice, the thought of spending $450 and then do the international shipping thing also makes me go .

Santa is going to be good to the DR this year.

Pura Vida
No worries Greg. Modern 450s rev to 12,000 rpm (or there abouts) and their straight through mufflers will flow enough for a DR plodding along at 4500rpm on the highway (with the occasional burst up to 7500rpm) It will be loud though! But not too bad if the packing is replaced when it starts to get louder.

Cheers,
David.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #3802
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistaMunno View Post
I would say yes as long that the carbs jet is tuned properly, I have a 1000 exhaust on my katana 750, but somebody with more knowledge can probably give more info. Just a couple of questions for you:
I see you have a printed manual for working on your bike, which year / model manual do you use? Because I can only find standard DR S manuals and not specific Dr RS or RSE, or is the same?
Andy,

There are RS/RSE specific chapters in the back of the manual which cover the wiring diagrams, cable routing and fairing removal. Mechanically they are identical to the S / R models.

Cheers,
David
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #3803
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
I downloaded the manual for less than $5. The model it is for is the "S" model. If I am not mistaken these were sold in the US. The only real difference between the RS and RSE is the body work and the engines are the same. I have read to that the Euro models are "opened" up for full performance (at least for stock with the ID# SP24A). Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

For ordering parts I use www.gssuzuki.com. They list parts for the 1990-1991 S model and I have yet to have something not fit correctly. Again the engine via the pics looks the same. I ship to a US address then have everything forwarded to CR. I haven't asked about direct international shipping.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #3804
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
That's interesting I wonder why Suzuki made the RS/E model available for South America, Australia and Europe but not USofA.
The same can be said for many models of bikes.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #3805
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
It's the same thing.....only different

There are almost always some variations between the US bikes and the European bikes.

And then there can be variations between the Euro bikes depending on the laws and insurance schedules of the particular countries.

These generally show up as changes in cams, timing and carburetor jetting. For example, the German models of the DR750/800 are tuned down a few HP to fit under certain insurance/legal requirements using different cams and a bit different carb jetting.

The headlights in the UK machines will have the lenses altered to produce a lighting pattern for riding on the left side of the road.

US model bikes have to pass sometimes silly DOT regs and you'll see variations in turn signal sizes and taillight designs....then the California model bikes will have charcoal emission canisters with all kinds of added fuel vent lines and usually a fuel tank altered to give space to vapor recovery resulting in less fuel capacity.

So using a "foreign" service manual can be helpful but should also be used with caution if the parts you have in your hands don't exactly match the photos or procedures listed in the maunual.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #3806
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Exhaust

Thanks for all the replies about the exhaust, but now I may have to put that on the back burner. I notice a few issues last night when I was trying to fix a flat rear. The exhaust may have to wait; safety before power I guess . Helmets, tools...

In the end I may go local anyhow. More than one person has recommended a place here near the racetrack that has been doing bike exhaust since 1984. I went by and he quoted me 120,000 colones ($240) with the mid-pipe. Best I have found for big brands online has been FMF for $250, the others are $300+. That is before shipping and having the mid-pipe fabricated.

Time will tell.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #3807
@ndy
Adventurer

Thank you David and Greg !
Just ordered a manual on ebay and bough new brake discs and brake lines, looking for callipers and rear shock. Will order most small parts trough the company you used Greg as their prices are very good .
Away for work for a while so i will have lots of boxes to open when I get back home
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #3808
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you David and Greg !
Just ordered a manual on ebay and bough new brake discs and brake lines, looking for callipers and rear shock. Will order most small parts trough the company you used Greg as their prices are very good .
Away for work for a while so i will have lots of boxes to open when I get back home
Andy,

Try this mob in Melbourne

http://www.mickhone.com.au/

Small parts like seals, bearings etc. are cheaper than getting them from the USA. Some parts are surprisingly cheap. A sidestand bracket for an RMX250 cost $47 from Mick Hone, and the US retail price is $102!

I got a lot of parts for my RMX from http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/Default.asp Their prices are only slightly dearer than gssuzuki and I can use different addresses for the billing (Australia) and shipping (Shipito in California) I do it this way because their international shipping prices are horrendous!

If you do order from them, prepare to wait awhile. They are a bit slowwwww

Cheers,
David.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #3809
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 394
Free '94dr650 tank plastics still available.

Going on free gear thread if someone doesn't need em.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3810
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 321

Just waiting for a new owner..