ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #3841
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Nice cut away. The 35fo has made a huge difference in the bike. More low end power and less noise. Here's what my previous muffler looked like.

I also had time to add this home made windscreen for commuting.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #3842
rgtrough
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 3
New guy here

Hey guys, last month I acquired a 1993 DR650 with 15,500 miles in great shape. Here we go. This bike is pure stock. After I learned the starting ritual this bike has no issues. Starts on second kick. Warms up on the choke. Then runs up and down the road great. What's the problem you ask? I want to do some mods to increase performance. But I read about guys whose bike won't idle at stoplights or stumbles off idle. So first thing I'm doing is swapping the stock 15 sprocket for a 14. My question, I can wiggle the sprocket side to side, not front to back but side to side. Is this normal? if not how is it fixed?

Thanks Bud
rgtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #3843
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
Warms up on the choke.
BST40 carbs use a cold start enrichment circuit instead of a choke. A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #3844
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
So first thing I'm doing is swapping the stock 15 sprocket for a 14. My question, I can wiggle the sprocket side to side, not front to back but side to side. Is this normal? if not how is it fixed?

Thanks Bud
I think the stock front is actually a 16. And mine floats a bit as well too. It rides on a splined shaft and is held only by a clip. This is something I wanted to research as well. The spocket has three threaded holes for another retainer that isn't installed on mine. BTW, a good set up for me so far is a 46 rear and I swap between a 15 and 16 on the front. I don't top out as well on the freeway and gas mileage is a bit lower with the 16/46, but it's a quick swap to 15/46 if I plan to go trail riding. Much easier on the clutch.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #3845
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
So first thing I'm doing is swapping the stock 15 sprocket for a 14. My question, I can wiggle the sprocket side to side, not front to back but side to side. Is this normal? if not how is it fixed?

I just found this video answering some of our questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzc4qw6Ooko
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #3846
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,876
Wrong !!

Never trust someone who uses SAE tools on a Metric bike.

Also....the big "E" clip is a REALLY BAD idea.

There is a large rubber/neoprene ring that is supposed to live between the outer retaining plate and the sprocket. It likely does nothing but cushion the chain a bit to reduce noise but does make my DR750 sound a lot smoother. The outer rataining plate is there to locate the CS sprocket on the shaft to maintain the correct chain line in the final drive.

The reason that the youtube vid shows wear on the outer retaining ring is that he is missing the rubber part. A bit of "parts" research before starting a project will prevent many errors.

See:
http://www.bikebandit.com/1992-suzuk...9331#sch240206

Part # 35.

To answer your first question...yes...there is some play and wiggling between the CS sprocket and the splined shaft..... but this is mostly take up by the retaining plate. There should be just a touch of "in/out" play in the output shaft but NO radial movement in the bearing.

Be certain that you're running enough chain slack to prevent putting huge loads onto the splines and the output shaft bearing. Many guys new to DS bikes set their final drive up with the chain WAY too tight. Longer travel suspension demands more chain slack. See the manual for specs or do the set up the correct way with the output shaft, swingarm pivot and rear axle all lined up.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #3847
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Right!!!

I'm off to the dealer for some parts I guess. Procycle has one for smaller sprockets that might fit too.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #3848
rgtrough
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the replies. I guess it was important to make sure I knew there is not a choke on the carb. I read that the stock front sprocket was a 15. This must be true on the '96+ models. I found out today that the pre '96 models had a 16 stock. Mine has already been dropped -1. There is nothing bolted to the sprocket. Just 3 bolts threaded into the sprocket. I guess I need to find out what I need to add. What was stock? 16/46?
__________________
peace, Bud
rgtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #3849
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
What was stock? 16/46?
It's 16/42 on ours.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #3850
markplace
Adventurer
 
markplace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: whidbey
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Never trust someone who uses SAE tools on a Metric bike.
Very true. I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Also....the big "E" clip is a REALLY BAD idea.
I just ordered the retainer, bolts, and rubber thing. I had a lot of options to weigh in on my decision. Your "enthusiasm", my 12,000 miles of no problems, but the final clincher was the Suzuki mechanic telling me that "Stock is probably best". I would prefer to not have a catastrophic failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

There is a large rubber/neoprene ring that is supposed to live between the outer retaining plate and the sprocket. It likely does nothing but cushion the chain a bit to reduce noise but does make my DR750 sound a lot smoother. The outer retaining plate is there to locate the CS sprocket on the shaft to maintain the correct chain line in the final drive.
The rubber part was the most expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post

The reason that the youtube vid shows wear on the outer retaining ring is that he is missing the rubber part. A bit of "parts" research before starting a project will prevent many errors.
Yes, that's true. Straight from the mechanic's mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
To answer your first question...yes...there is some play and wiggling between the CS sprocket and the splined shaft..... but this is mostly take up by the retaining plate. There should be just a touch of "in/out" play in the output shaft but NO radial movement in the bearing.
We'll see. Parts coming soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Be certain that you're running enough chain slack to prevent putting huge loads onto the splines and the output shaft bearing. Many guys new to DS bikes set their final drive up with the chain WAY too tight. Longer travel suspension demands more chain slack. See the manual for specs or do the set up the correct way with the output shaft, swingarm pivot and rear axle all lined up.
Always.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #3851
rgtrough
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 3
Sproket Replacement

Hey guys, I'm replacing the front sprocket on my '93 DR650. The new sprocket has an offset on one side. Which side does the offset face, the engine or the cover? Thanks for the help?
__________________
peace, Bud
rgtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #3852
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Proserpine, QLD
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
My question, I can wiggle the sprocket side to side, not front to back but side to side. Is this normal? if not how is it fixed?

Thanks Bud
I used a DR750 front sprocket on mine. The difference is the 750/800 sprockets are 10mm wide at the spline, vs 7mm wide for a 650 sprocket. Helps to reduce the side to side movement.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF438

Cheers,
David
__________________
Rowie's DR650RS Rebuild
rowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #3853
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
Which side does the offset face, the engine or the cover? Thanks for the help?
This info is for the DR750/800 but is similar, I believe, to the early model DR650s.

If your bike uses the circular metal retaining plate and the large rubber O-ring type chain damper.....


.....the CS sprocket is mounted with the FLAT SIDE OUT.

See parts diagram a few posts above for the 'sploded view of the retainer plate and damper ring.

If you assemble it with the shoulder outside, the rubber damper is not held in place and will just spin around being useless.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #3854
Falconpunch01
Fly and ride!
 
Falconpunch01's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Danville,IN
Oddometer: 103
Anyone know where I can get some new plastics for my 93' 650 ? mine are looking rough wanna get some better ones for the new year. And also what are some people using for exhaust ? I want a louder exhaust.

Thanks!
Falconpunch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #3855
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconpunch01 View Post
Anyone know where I can get some new plastics for my 93' 650 ? mine are looking rough wanna get some better ones for the new year. And also what are some people using for exhaust ? I want a louder exhaust.

Thanks!
Check HERE for new OEM stuff. But it's probably going to cost.. better have a look at ebay! Aftermarket exhaust can be bought from Hessler.
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014