User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #3991
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
wheel swap?

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I'm tired of looking so does anyone know if the pre-96 wheels will fit on a 2000? I'd rather not pull the wheels off both just to find out that they won't swap. I've got a very dead 95 model and I'd love to have an extra set of wheels before the 95 finds it's way to someone else's yard or sadly a scrap yard.
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #3992
DrFubar
Ditch Digger

Oddometer: 9
Ummm... What did i buy...

So never having ridden a motorcycle before, 2 months ago I went on Craig’s list and got me a 1990 DR650S… Love the bike but really do not have anything to compare it to. It has 80/20 road /trail tires and runs pretty good… I wanted something dual sport to ride this summer, this is what fell in the price range.
Love the 5.5 gallon tank.
Love the rack and bottom plate.
Kick starting it after I stall on a rocky hill climb not so much…
I am having a great time getting lost in Northeast Pennsylvania.
Attached Images

DrFubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #3993
jjxlrider
Part time adult

Oddometer: 938
You'll learn quickly to not stall it on a hill , It's a nice looking bike , I had a '91 that had the same colors. For comparison, I have several Yami XT's and a Honda XL, the XT's are a little more balanced, not as top heavy as the DR, comparable to the XL. Powerwise they are all pretty similar, enough to get a person in trouble. Just have to remember , they're not dirt bikes, but you can ride to the trail rather than trailer .

'08 525XC , --> '06 LTR450. looking for '96 thru '05 DR650
jjxlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #3994
Stephen_m64
n00b AdvRider

Oddometer: 52
It just seems like it's one thing after another some times but just after I spent time rebuilding the carb on my 95 the clutch cable broke.

I might just be a noob missing something obvious but I got a new cable, installed it on the same route of the original cable, no kinks or binds, but if the clutch lever is pulled in there's nothing pulling it back out into place. The cable moves easily and isn't binding, it's like a spring is missing or something?

Or is there something else broke too, possibly my brain?

Edit: looks like the issue really just is I am a overly cautious idiot when there's a lack of information. And it's sorted now.

I'll just leave it at that.

But here's a picture of the ol gal... Hope to keep her running good for a long while.

Stephen_m64 screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 10:12 PM
Stephen_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #3995
bicklebok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_m64 View Post
It just seems like it's one thing after another some times but just after I spent time rebuilding the carb on my 95 the clutch cable broke.

I might just be a noob missing something obvious but I got a new cable, installed it on the same route of the original cable, no kinks or binds, but if the clutch lever is pulled in there's nothing pulling it back out into place. The cable moves easily and isn't binding, it's like a spring is missing or something?

Edit: looks like the issue really just is I am a overly cautious idiot when there's a lack of information. And it's sorted now.

But here's a picture of the ol gal... Hope to keep her running good for a long while.

Looks good! Glad you got it figured out!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #3996
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_m64 View Post

Ah, nice bike! I miss mine now. Wish I could have kept it!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #3997
T-Rav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Gasket part number??

Changing my oil this weekend and checking counter balancer chain....does anyone know where to buy a new gasket for case? Its been awhile and I cant remember where I bought the last one!! I have a 94'
T-Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #3998
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rav View Post
Changing my oil this weekend and checking counter balancer chain....does anyone know where to buy a new gasket for case? Its been awhile and I cant remember where I bought the last one!! I have a 94'
I've never used a paper gasket on it and have never had a leak.

High Torque RTV

Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #3999
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rav View Post
does anyone know where to buy a new gasket for case?
Try bikebandit.com
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #4000
Duvekot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Funny Vibration

So, I've had my 1990 DR650S for a year now, and I've put about 5,000 miles on it. It only had 6,000 miles when I got it, so it's still a pretty low-mileage machine.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a weird vibration under heavy load in 4th and 5th gear. If I give it full throttle in a high gear, it will all of a sudden start buzzing, but if I reduce throttle, it abruptly stops. It's like flipping a switch; it goes from normal, relatively smooth operation, to a noticeable vibration, and it's directly related to engine load. It feels distinctly different from the standard racket the bike makes when it's lugging in a high gear, and it happens even at 5,000 rpm and above.
I tightened the balancer chain about 3,000 miles ago, so I don't think that's the culprit, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it might be. Has anybody else had this happen? Is it just part of the "character" of these early DRs that I somehow hadn't noticed until now???
Duvekot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #4001
Stephen_m64
n00b AdvRider

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvekot View Post
So, I've had my 1990 DR650S for a year now, and I've put about 5,000 miles on it. It only had 6,000 miles when I got it, so it's still a pretty low-mileage machine.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a weird vibration under heavy load in 4th and 5th gear. If I give it full throttle in a high gear, it will all of a sudden start buzzing, but if I reduce throttle, it abruptly stops. It's like flipping a switch; it goes from normal, relatively smooth operation, to a noticeable vibration, and it's directly related to engine load. It feels distinctly different from the standard racket the bike makes when it's lugging in a high gear, and it happens even at 5,000 rpm and above.
I tightened the balancer chain about 3,000 miles ago, so I don't think that's the culprit, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it might be. Has anybody else had this happen? Is it just part of the "character" of these early DRs that I somehow hadn't noticed until now???
This is a good question I'd like to see answered since I have about the same thing on my 95 dr650ses, it was quite bad but has really reduced for the most part with reverting the bike to stock gearing and rebuilding the carb.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #4002
knybanjo
kinda slow

A dirty or worn chain will do that.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #4003
Duvekot
Adventurer

The chain only has about 500 miles on it, and I lube it regularly, so I don't think that's it. Has anyone had issues with the cush drive bearing? I don't know if it would cause this kind of symptom, but I read about people having issues with it on their newer DRs...? I haven't replaced mine since I've owned the bike, so maybe that's contributing to it. It would make sense that if the bearing was getting loose, it might induce a vibration when you apply torque to the sprocket. Any thoughts? Anybody know where to buy that bearing?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #4004
Duvekot
Adventurer

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I have stock gearing, and I rebuilt the carb not too long ago.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #4005
knybanjo
kinda slow

Yes, the carrier bearing is a possibility and it is a high wear item if you ride off road.