Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #781
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmaker
Those Cheng Shin tires look pretty good. And a set for under 100 bucks!!! I thought the Kendas were a good deal!!!

Im cheaper than any KLR rider out there!!
$100 hell,I paid $50 front and rear! Bike bandit currently doesn't list the 5.10 but American Motorcycle Tire does,they do want $50 bucks just for the 5.10 though.

I haven't mounted up my 4.60 yet as I wanted to see if the 3.00 cured my handling alone,it did so I'll use up the 5.10 Kenda 270 before swapping.
The 270's are about 15% more dirt oriented with "spikier" side knobs,but I ran the same gravel roads I last ran the 270's on and had the same traction as before.

once I wear out the Cheng Shins I'll likely go back to the 270's,just in the 3.00 size for the front.

BTW,my Maico has that VE33 tire on the rear,it looks like it's life would be measured in minutes on the road,very aggressive tire.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #782
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay
BTW,my Maico has that VE33 tire on the rear,it looks like it's life would be measured in minutes on the road,very aggressive tire.
I'm thinking I'm gonna try one, we'll see what kinda mileage I get. It may not last long, but I bet it'll be fun.

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #783
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
new brakes on RS

I'm gone into a mission, gona make my old lady a bit more modern. Repainted the body, engine sides and instaled the new front brake hose, threw out the old one (made from 3 pieces) and instaled one made of teflone (don't know how you call it). Anyway, I bought the new front disc too, not stock ofcorse, I found an gsxr1000 K2 320mm, and am planing on making a spacer to fit it. I have changed the fork oil (15w) and hope it would get more sirious stoping pover. Any thoughts?
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #784
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic
I'm gone into a mission, gona make my old lady a bit more modern. Repainted the body, engine sides and instaled the new front brake hose, threw out the old one (made from 3 pieces) and instaled one made of teflone (don't know how you call it). Anyway, I bought the new front disc too, not stock ofcorse, I found an gsxr1000 K2 320mm, and am planing on making a spacer to fit it. I have changed the fork oil (15w) and hope it would get more sirious stoping pover. Any thoughts?
Probably will need a more meaty(wider) front tire to get more stopping power.Seventeen inch rim will also increase the power of the brake,less rotating mass.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #785
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Probably will need a more meaty(wider) front tire to get more stopping power.Seventeen inch rim will also increase the power of the brake,less rotating mass.
got that in mind too, but don't have that kind of money now, but when I get it, I'll take the back too.
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #786
heatmaker
WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic
Good for you! We gotta keep these old bikes around. They are just too good!

Where are the pictures?
heatmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #787
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Good for you! We gotta keep these old bikes around. They are just too good!

Where are the pictures?
yeah-you ,me and maybe three other guys own these bikes-
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #788
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokalr13
yeah-you ,me and maybe three other guys own these bikes-

I think there's about 14 subscribers to this thread, and as long as we support us, ..... I have no witty end to that statement.

I did just get a hone on the DR650's cylinder to clean up some ugly spots and will be reassembling shortly. If I can get a friend to take pictures I'll post a report. Word has it these things last incredibly long when taken care of (or even flogged according to banjo)...

Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #789
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken
I'm thinking I'm gonna try one, we'll see what kinda mileage I get. It may not last long, but I bet it'll be fun.
did you spring for one? I had one on a Yamaha 250 way-back-when (like 1980 TT250 wayback, y'all) and yes, their lifespan was vanishingly small, they sucked in sand and hooked up okay on hardpack and packed gravel medium. YMMV
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #790
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,185
Thanks inire. Haven't ordered yet. The suck in sand part is a deal breaker for me and my area. Not needing a new rear (yet). will keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inire
did you spring for one? I had one on a Yamaha 250 way-back-when (like 1980 TT250 wayback, y'all) and yes, their lifespan was vanishingly small, they sucked in sand and hooked up okay on hardpack and packed gravel medium. YMMV

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #791
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,071
Had a little fun at Brown Mtn OHV yesterday......

Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #792
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Replaced my steering head bearings,Changed my fork oil today to slow down the front end action,cleaned up the wiring and corrected my headlight surround mounting,welded some material to the steering stops to keep the bark buster mounts from fouling the tank.Took it for a short test ride,fork better(I like a stiff fork) handling much more secure in corners,Hammered through a concrete ford on a back road and promptly broke a tooth of of third gear.Briefly locked the back tire,pulled in the clutch,let it back out,heard a bunch of clatter and wheel tried to bind.Downshifted to second,quiet and smooth.rode home fine by skipping third.When pushing the bike around in third with the clutch in it clicks once per revolution of trans...

Won't be attending that dualsport ride out of Indy next weekend after all

At least I didn't buy it a high dollar rear shock,I was seriously considering it since the fork was better

Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #793
heatmaker
WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Replaced my steering head bearings,Changed my fork oil today to slow down the front end action,cleaned up the wiring and corrected my headlight surround mounting,welded some material to the steering stops to keep the bark buster mounts from fouling the tank.Took it for a short test ride,fork better(I like a stiff fork) handling much more secure in corners,Hammered through a concrete ford on a back road and promptly broke a tooth of of third gear.Briefly locked the back tire,pulled in the clutch,let it back out,heard a bunch of clatter and wheel tried to bind.Downshifted to second,quiet and smooth.rode home fine by skipping third.When pushing the bike around in third with the clutch in it clicks once per revolution of trans...

Won't be attending that dualsport ride out of Indy next weekend after all

At least I didn't buy it a high dollar rear shock,I was seriously considering it since the fork was better

Big Bummer!!!

Hey Banjo, you know anything about a noise in third gear?

Ive got some new parts arriving this week. Im gonna gear it down with 4 teeth on the rear. Can wait to see how she likes that!
heatmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #794
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,071
Quote:
Big Bummer!!!

Hey Banjo, you know anything about a noise in third gear?

Ive got some new parts arriving this week. Im gonna gear it down with 4 teeth on the rear. Can wait to see how she likes that!
I've been running without a 3rd gear for about a year and a half now....it hasn't been a big deal.

And yes...adding 4 teeth to the rear was a big help for mine.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #795
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Hammered through a concrete ford on a back road and promptly broke a tooth of of third gear.Briefly locked the back tire,pulled in the clutch,let it back out,heard a bunch of clatter and wheel tried to bind.Downshifted to second,quiet and smooth.rode home fine by skipping third.When pushing the bike around in third with the clutch in it clicks once per revolution of trans...
Ouchers - any idea why the bind?
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote