Oddometer: 3,332
here is a drz250 shock bolt to bolt around 17" and 30mm on ends

i an going to see if this will work for shock upgrade

edward
Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #812
heatmaker
WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer: 795
let us know! may need a stiffer spring. Lotsa pics would help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
here is a drz250 shock bolt to bolt around 17" and 30mm on ends

i an going to see if this will work for shock upgrade

edward
heatmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #813
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
race tech has springs and valving for this shock

edward
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #814
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
Really. .... I'll have to have someone else who rides the older DRs have a ride on mine and see what they think. I'm fairly sure the balancer is okay .... actually wait - that adjustment is under the left-side cover, isn't it? .... Maybe I should check that... (I thought it was the cam chain drive... hm.)
Mos Def check that: I test rode a 94 once (before getting my '91) and that one was off a tooth or two on the balancer - vibrated itself down a gentle driveway on the side stand once I had it started and the PO claimed that it destroyed bulbs industriously.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #815
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
You guys in here have any ideas as far as saddle bags etc that are affordable and fit well on a 92 DR 650?
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #816
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredware
You guys in here have any ideas as far as saddle bags etc that are affordable and fit well on a 92 DR 650?
A waterproof duffle bag held on with a couple of ancra tie-downs.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #817
northerndancer
wandering spirit

Oddometer: 90
Eek new to me

I thought that I would add to this thread and add years to my life. I bought this mintish 1990 DR650 after selling my 95r100gspd last year. Just too big and heavy for what I was wanting to do. For the price I got for the gspd I bought a 92 K75rt for the road (thanks to Mike (can't remember his ADV name) in Winnipeg AND I looked around and bought this lovely a few weeks ago. 21,000kms and it kicks over cold in 2-3 kicks, after following 'the ritual' according to AKBRIAN at the start of this thread.

Now to the question at hand, here is my solution...the rack, to which I have added a couple of bicycle panniers, supplemented by wolfman tank panniers.

Thanks to all on this forum for all the great wisdom (and some not so great but fun to read).

I look forward to seeing how this drz250 shock thing works out. I may need a new shock in 10 years...
Attached Images

northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #818
northerndancer
wandering spirit

Cool2

and the rack. Aluminum and a few bolts. My skills are not so good with this stuff but I do make a mean Thai soup...
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #819
northerndancer
wandering spirit

rear rack

And finally, after nearly burning my hand, I drilled some holes on the 'bridge' that stiffens the whole thing, preventing it from collapsing down onto the muffler. Not fancy but it seems to work after less than extensive testing. Patent pending
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #820
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by inire
Mos Def check that: I test rode a 94 once (before getting my '91) and that one was off a tooth or two on the balancer - vibrated itself down a gentle driveway on the side stand once I had it started and the PO claimed that it destroyed bulbs industriously.
Frack - $65 for the Mag puller. Anyone have that part that I could pay to ship it to me? I already checked the tool pool.... PM me if you do; otherwise I have to place the order today so I can get the tool here ASAP. Dangit, not something I was looking forward to doing. On the other hand, it will be good to finally get that thing running the way it should!

Here's another random one for ya: Anyone ever heard of the kickstart sounding like it's jumping a tooth when you kick? It doesn't do it all the time, in fact frequently works with no problem - but every so often will just emit a "BANGK!" and just feel like it skipped a tooth somewhere....
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #821
inire
Browncoat symp

Quote:
Frack - $65 for the Mag puller. Anyone have that part that I could pay to ship it to me? I already checked the tool pool.... PM me if you do; otherwise I have to place the order today so I can get the tool here ASAP. Dangit, not something I was looking forward to doing. On the other hand, it will be good to finally get that thing running the way it should!

Here's another random one for ya: Anyone ever heard of the kickstart sounding like it's jumping a tooth when you kick? It doesn't do it all the time, in fact frequently works with no problem - but every so often will just emit a "BANGK!" and just feel like it skipped a tooth somewhere....
re kickstarter - i have that EXACT situation on my bike. develops scartissue on my shin.

pm inbound
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #822
Trust
I'll fix that

Quote:
re kickstarter - i have that EXACT situation on my bike. develops scartissue on my shin.

pm inbound
PM rec'd and rep'd, thanks inire.

Any idea what the kickstart jumping stems from? .... I assume the scartissue is strikingly shaped like the right foot peg? :ouch:
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Quote:
Give me riding.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #823
inire
Browncoat symp

Quote:

Any idea what the kickstart jumping stems from? .... I assume the scartissue is strikingly shaped like the right foot peg? :ouch:
Strikingly, yes. Quite.

And no, I don't know what it is: the teeth that are visible from the clutch-cover side of ops are good. I was planning at some point to see if the tension on the return spring was sufficient, that the cogs on the ratchet were solid....

someday. In the meantime, shocking cases of WOUCH every once in a while and otherwise solid service. Go figure.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #824
Trust
I'll fix that

Quote:
Strikingly, yes. Quite.

And no, I don't know what it is: the teeth that are visible from the clutch-cover side of ops are good. I was planning at some point to see if the tension on the return spring was sufficient, that the cogs on the ratchet were solid....

someday. In the meantime, shocking cases of WOUCH every once in a while and otherwise solid service. Go figure.
Yeah, true. I'll let you know what I can salvage out of my old spent DR engine for your project if you want.

In the meantime, to solve the shin issue - I move my foot back so the ball of my foot is on the kickstarter; so that it when it contacts the footpeg, my shin is a good inch+ away from the peg. YMMV.
Quote:
Quote:
Give me riding.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #825
heatmaker
WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer: 795
Nice Bike n.d.! Mintish?? Id say soo!!! Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. These things are sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndancer
I thought that I would add to this thread and add years to my life. I bought this mintish 1990 DR650 after selling my 95r100gspd last year. Just too big and heavy for what I was wanting to do. For the price I got for the gspd I bought a 92 K75rt for the road (thanks to Mike (can't remember his ADV name) in Winnipeg AND I looked around and bought this lovely a few weeks ago. 21,000kms and it kicks over cold in 2-3 kicks, after following 'the ritual' according to AKBRIAN at the start of this thread.

Now to the question at hand, here is my solution...the rack, to which I have added a couple of bicycle panniers, supplemented by wolfman tank panniers.

Thanks to all on this forum for all the great wisdom (and some not so great but fun to read).

I look forward to seeing how this drz250 shock thing works out. I may need a new shock in 10 years...
heatmaker is offline   Reply With Quote