Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #106
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
thanks AkBrian I'll check out the progressive
I'mtrying not to send too much money
until I am sure the bike is going to be a long term friend

guys don't worry about the kickstart
if everything is working right it is a simple and effective way to start the bike.

follow the drill
make sure to use the decompression lever and keep the throttle closed
kick through slowly till it clicks up
bring the kick start back to the top
and commit to your kick!
it should fire up in a few kicks if the bike is in tune
(mine takes about 2-3 right now but I am working on that)
one kick when it is warm

the suzuki dealer should have your oil filter it is part number 16510-37450 on a 93

you might pickup some plugs (the bike needs 2) while you are there as they are harder to find at the local autoparts place

again for a 93...... DPR9EA-9

and also new to me - these plugs need an 18mm socket

good luck with your new aquistions
older DR's are pretty simple machines, so don't be intimidated

definitely think about checking the balancer chain
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #107
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
I just called the guy, about 1hour away, leaving shortly with trailer.

Here's an interesting thread about a whole bunch of long haul upgrades on a DR650. I understand my bike carries a bunch of heavy weight stuff, so will be very interested in removing/changing things to lighten it up.

I'm an average mechanic, but don't mind trying with good directions. The complex stuff I stay away from.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...g-haul-23847-3
Good luck, where are you located. Maybe a couple of old timers can get together with a couple of old DR's.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #108
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks nashopolis,

How do we go about checking the balance chain???
Old 09-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #109
TBO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21

Very nice DR, it seems new!

I've a couple of questions:

The front fork of my DR '94 is too soft, what can I do? preloading the springs? more oil? how much an what SAE?

..and rear is the same, what is the rigth rider SAG for this model?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #110
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
Thanks nashopolis,

How do we go about checking the balance chain???
well first get the manual
;)

(just kidding)
just did this myself
full disclosure I am no mechanic but I am learning!

the balancer chain is under the left side cover
(you can lean the bike on its side or drain oil first before you remove it)
first you must loosen the adjuster locknuts under bottom right of magneto
and then
there are two hexhead nuts (bottom left) which you must loosen.
the adjustment spring should take up the slack
now tighten then hexheads back up to 15-20 nm
and put the sidecover back on careful not to over torque the case bolts or damage the gasket

(fyi should use a new gasket...but whatever works works)
and you are done!
this shouldbe checked every 6000 miles

mine was pretty slack at 18,000 dunno if it had been adjusted before or not (3rd owner)

I can email you the page out of the manual if you need it

the 94 is a little different from the 93 because of the electric foot but there are no additional instructions for the 94 on this matter

I highly recommend the manual I see it on ebay every few weeks
Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #111
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Slip, I'm in Lafayette, LA, hot now, but at least almost year round riding weather.

Just got home, took a ton of good pics for later, and posted some at http://mnormand.com/suzuki_dr650s.htm

A few areas need TLC, and will tackle one at a time. I'll watch ebay, if anyone spots a service manual elsewhere (1991) pls advise.

Don't even have a helmet at present! Man I'm really behind the curve here.
Won't have the license plate till next week anyway.

mnormand screwed with this post 09-01-2007 at 01:46 PM
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #112
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Slip, I'm in Lafayette, LA, hot now, but at least almost year round riding weather.

Just got home, took a ton of good pics for later, and posted some at http://mnormand.com/suzuki_dr650s.htm

A few areas need TLC, and will tackle one at a time. I'll watch ebay, if anyone spots a service manual elsewhere (1991) pls advise.

Don't even have a helmet at present! Man I'm really behind the curve here.
Won't have the license plate till next week anyway.
Wow, that is beautiful specimen of a DR650. Looks stock. I see that the 91 is different from the 94. I like the rack on it.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #113
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

questions

Well, been researching parts for hours now, and got some small stuff coming from Ron Ayers shortly.

A few questions:
I want some good handguard bark busters, wrap around metal reinforced types, hopefully in blue color. Can't seem to locate these on usual aftermarket sites.

Would like a front disk protector, plastic, hopefully in blue. Looks like later models added this standard ?

Also, its mostly hot down here. Helmets??? What types are best suited for the combo of light street, light highway, and medium trail riding? I bought a full face Bell at Walmart, but kinda hesitant on this at present. Damn thing is huge, but fits well (XL). I realize everyone prefers something different, but for a start... I'm wondering if an open face with sunvisor bill might be better for this. My last cruiser in 1997 I used a cheapo non-DOT skull cover, forget that, still alive and much wiser now!

Thx!
Mark

mnormand screwed with this post 09-02-2007 at 05:55 AM
Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #114
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Would like a front disk protector, plastic, hopefully in blue. Looks like later models added this standard ?
check ebay i just saw one a few weeks ago

Quote:
Also, its mostly hot down here. Helmets??? What types are best suited for the combo of light street, light highway, and medium trail riding? I bought a full face Bell at Walmart, but kinda hesitant on this at present. Damn thing is huge, but fits well (XL). I realize everyone prefers something different, but for a start... I'm wondering if an open face with sunvisor bill might be better for this. My last cruiser in 1997 I used a cheapo non-DOT skull cover, forget that, still alive and much wiser now!

Thx!
Mark
man it has been hot!
I'm in nashville and I am drenched before I even get out of my driveway these days

my 2 cents
seems like you trade safey for comfort with a 3/4 helmet as a right large percentage of the head strikes in crashes fall on the chin area

everyone makes thier own choices where the balance should lie with these factors

I'm no trail rider but sounds like falling in the dirt is much more likely
seems like full face dirt helmets are better at keeping you cool and protected

but you need goggles etc. there are a lot of cheap full face dirt lids out there might be worth picking one up to see if you like it

fyi
the Bell helmet got a good review over at webbikeworld
if it fits I say go with it till you decide on something else
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...t/bell-zephyr/

faster the ride the cooler you are :)
Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #115
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Do you remember what size jet you changed to?........just curious.
Aw snap: Opened the carbs this weekend - jets are all changed except pilot, with some added holes too. I'll post specs and pictures when home

Welcome mnormand! That is one spank'n clean DR you found there! I have seen quality looking hand guards, in yamaha blue at that - but I've since lost the link. Check in the equipment forum for handguard info. And get yourself a bloody lid! I ride with a CL-Max, for evals there's a "CL-Max v SY-Max" in the equipment forum.

Nash, you and I are going to have to talk kick-start more; the jets are soaking right now (carb/parts cleaner), and will probably get reassembled soon - but one of the POs changed jetting sharply. This is my first kickstart with a decomp valve, so thanks for the directions.
SteveBroskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #116
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBroskey
Aw snap: Opened the carbs this weekend - jets are all changed except pilot, with some added holes too. I'll post specs and pictures when home

Nash, you and I are going to have to talk kick-start more; the jets are soaking right now (carb/parts cleaner), and will probably get reassembled soon - but one of the POs changed jetting sharply. This is my first kickstart with a decomp valve, so thanks for the directions.

yep from all the ratchet-jawing I hear about changing jets etc on the forums I bet more bikes than not have been "modded" I know mine was

the stage two kit that I beleive kientech.com sells (Jesse is a really nice guy by the way)
it seems to run pretty well so far
just put some new plugs in we'll see how they do in the next few weeks

personally I have never tuned a carb

kick starting q's ask away I learned on a 70 bonnie
(which is usually a one or two kick starter these days)

the decomp lever is nice so you can get the piston pushed around to tdc
without it I can stand on the kickstarter without making much happen
:)

my other trick is to hold the decomp lever in and kick the bike over a few time with the key off (to prime the fuse so to speak)

dunno if it is necessary or a good idea but it works for me
Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #117
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
Go for it. My 94 is arriving tomorrow. The guy I bought it from is delivering it to me. I'm 52 and plan on doing the same thing as you. Mine has an e button, but I think it also has a kick start, not sure about that one. But I have read here somewhere that they kick over easily, not sure about that one either. If mine has one, I think I will use it for nostalgic reasons. I used to have a 1980 XL500 that was a kicker. I was thinking of a smaller DS as well. But the 650 will be nice for longer hauls. The one your thinking about is in such nice shape that I wouldn't hesitate.
Well the deal fell through with the DR650. I will be looking for a newer one now.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #118
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Dr650

Slip, I haven't had much time at all on this bike yet, but I suspect I will be wanting something like a +/-400cc soon. This 650 is going to be a handful on small tight trails like I enjoy riding. I already told my wife, maybe I need two bikes ! haha
No hurry for me, this is a part time hobby, thats the problem, too many hobbies and still have to work !
Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #119
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis
just put some new plugs in we'll see how they do in the next few weeks

personally I have never tuned a carb

kick starting q's ask away I learned on a 70 bonnie
(which is usually a one or two kick starter these days)

the decomp lever is nice so you can get the piston pushed around to tdc
without it I can stand on the kickstarter without making much happen
:)

my other trick is to hold the decomp lever in and kick the bike over a few time with the key off (to prime the fuse so to speak)

dunno if it is necessary or a good idea but it works for me
Gotta get some (plugs) myself
Never tuned a carb either. What are new toys for, but experimenting ... I mean adding to your experience.

Learned on the DT2 I've got now - great bike to learn on: She bites back when you do it wrong, but not enough to shatter my shin.
TDC ... okay talk to me about this one - why is it important to start the kick @ TDC? (limited engine experience speaking now)
... and "prime the fuse"? Could you elaborate on this one too?
['cause I'm gonna use every single trick you can give me to get this thing started - the DR's the first bike I've decided to keep for the long haul!]
SteveBroskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #120
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBroskey
Gotta get some (plugs) myself

TDC ... okay talk to me about this one - why is it important to start the kick @ TDC? (limited engine experience speaking now)
... and "prime the fuse"? Could you elaborate on this one too?
['cause I'm gonna use every single trick you can give me to get this thing started - the DR's the first bike I've decided to keep for the long haul!]

well I am still learning so take my knowledge as one man's ideas

from what i understand you want to be on the compression stroke when you try to kickstart a bike otherwise you waste effort and sort of start off in the wrong part of the 4 stroke cycle

on the triumph I slowly kick it over until I feel resistance i.e. compression of the air via the piston and valves closed and then kick

on the dr650 this is ALOT harder to do with out the decompression lever

I think of it as if your leg kicking replaces the cylinder firing on the power stroke. If you kick well the bike will have enough momentum to cycle through the power stroke, exhaust stroke, intake stroke, and then fire on its own after the next compression stroke. The bigger the cylinder the harder it is to compress the air on the compression stroke (hence the decompression lever on big singles)

any rate you get the most umph for your kick on the TDC following the compression stroke
sort of like pushing a swing when it is all the way back

(someone correct me if I got any of this wrong)

I prime the cylinder a few times with the key off
going through the cycles a few times gets some fuel flowing and makes the mixture rich which i think equals easier cold starts

the key is really to kick all the way through your kick
most bikes disengage the kick lever at the very bottom so if they bike does backfire you should be okay but wearing solid boots is always wise

hope this helps