Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #31
aaronrkelly OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
The Grand Canyon was epic.....we went on to the village called Grand Canyon and did some touristy shopping.

I, of course, bought nothing as Im not a thimble, shot glass or any of the other stuff collector. I buy stickers....everywhere I go that sells one and I stick them on the inside lid of the trailer. This way I can open her up and see where Ive been.

While my girlfriend was deciding which cactus to buy....or whatever she was eyeballing.....the sun was going down.

So we loaded up (+ the lucky cactus) and headed out of the park.....with one last stop for some "sun going down" Grand Canyon pictures.

Snapped a quick pic of the odometer.....not really sure why but since it must have had SOME relevance I will post it.

I bought this bike in early April this year......it has a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty and Im trying to get my moneys worth.

So were off. In the most impeccable timing the GPS (mine has a built in MP3 player and its connected directly to the stereo on the bike) started "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

Hell yeah....."On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair"

So we take off.

Not wanting to relive the hotel/anal rape fiasco from the night before I vowed we would NOT be getting a hotel.....and since scouting for a camp ground in the dark isnt effective I figured we should just ride.....till we cant ride no more.

So we took off south to hit the 4 lane.

Now I didnt notice it so much on the 2 lane because we werent running that quick.

.....but now on the 4 lane Im noticing it gets cold in the desert when the sun goes down. I had expected it.....but at 85mph on the 4 lane its kinda nasty. So we put our rain gear on.....turned the heated seats and grips on.....and "suffered" on.

We stopped for a quick snack and scored some Bimbo cakes....which I though was picture worthy......not sure why, probably a side effect of the cold.

Back on the road.....at this point we had seen everything we wanted to....and this is where I mention we are bad parents.

See we have kids.....and school starts on Monday. This is now officially EARLY Monday. The plan was the kids where going to skip the first week of school. We had thought it would take longer but it turns out we were doing better then planned......and we had planned for hold ups....and we didnt have any. So now we are feeling like tools for the whole "screw school, were going on a trip, leave the kids at home" plan.

We make the executive decision to get home as quickly as reasonably possible.

Which lasted about 4 more hours.....then I was done...spent....wiped out.

We pulled into a rest area and setup a couple chairs. The plan was to just close our eyes and rest for 10 or 20 mins.

Its a humble little setup but apparently it was effective. Despite the fact every 5 or so minutes a truck would roar past (this was near the exit to the rest area) we quickly fell asleep............and woke up 4 hours later.

.....oops.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #32
Herr_Raus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
nice ride report aaron, victory is indeed a bike you don't see that often..
thanks for sharing
Herr_Raus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #33
aaronrkelly OP
Studly Adventurer

After waking up in the rest stop is was ON for some more miles.....so we head out.

We didnt make it far before I was beat....just run down. We were in Tucumcari NM. So I started looking at my options; credit card camping or regular camping. This town is just littered with cheap motels....credit card it is.

Ended up in this nice little place, on historic Route 66.

Now I thought THIS was a good buy.....but two place down was a motel for $14.95....so I got screwed here....damn it, should have bargain shopped. Also note they proudly claim AMERICAN OWNED....not really sure what thats about in this area, I noticed that alot. In all honesty there was an Indian lady running the place (dot not feather).....but I suppose she was an American citizen so it still stands - I could care less either way, more of an observation then anything.

We hit the grocery store then went back to the room, ate and slept. We crashed here for about a solid 24 hours....we were wiped out. We didnt leave to see any sights...check out the town....nothing - just watched tv and slept.

We woke up the next day and headed out again.

Our route was taking us through the panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma....and gas stations were fewer around this area. Eventually it had to happen.

Just about 3 miles outside Dalhart TX I ran out of gas. I was rescued by my MSR bottle (great shit that bottle is). It got us to the next stop and beat the hell out of pushing an almost 900lb bike.

The rest of this trip was pretty much fuel and roll....rinse and repeat.

Hooker, OK....just need a reason to get off the bike a few....Hooker's always work for me.

I took the time to pimp on this old tractor...Im kewl.

My girlfriend found this anal-specific caboose interesting.

Back on the road.....hammering down the pavement till we see a sign for Dorothys House....Wizard of Oz Dorothy, you know the chick. Its in Liberal, KS....nice little museum there to.

So we checked it out.

They had this nice old train car, I climbed all over it - ended up getting a nice rusty steel splinter.....fook.

Back on the road....whats next. Meade, KS....the Dalton Gang hangout.

I was to cheap to pay to see the "cave" where they hid....couldnt have been THAT impressive.

After this we just rode.....and rode....and rode.....thru Kansas......the corner of Missouri.....then finally home.

That last run from Tucumcari, NM to home (Moravia, IA)....was 800 miles and took us about 19 hours. We were beat......

TRIP OVER.....the Grand Canyon has been seen.

aaronrkelly screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 10:19 PM
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #34
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,488

Thanks
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #35
FalloutMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Damn this makes me wanna ride from SD to the Grand Canyon once my Tenere lands on my garage door! Unlike you though I can get there in 11 hours
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #36
aaronrkelly OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMan
Damn this makes me wanna ride from SD to the Grand Canyon once my Tenere lands on my garage door! Unlike you though I can get there in 11 hours
I JUST got back from SD.....after some ADV Riders (Meef and Tim) stopped by my house (from this thread):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619034

they went on to the Badlands. After seeing the pics from there and Needles Hwy etc I decided I HAD to go.

I made an Ironbutt run out of it. From my house to Newcastle, WY and back.....saw the Badlands, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Needles Hwy etc......1680 miles in 33 hours straight.

There ride report inspired me to just DO IT.

Maybe mine will do the same......DO IT.