Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,851
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #152
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Cool2 Day 6 after Ophir

Sorry for the delay in posting; busy the last few days and Dad is in Arizona . He had a few days to kill and decided to go check out possible routes and campsites for our big National Park Tour we are planning (NM, AZ, UT, CO) . k8E and I are following him on SPOT and he's having fun.

Back to the report; we hit the pavement after Ophir Pass and headed down the Million Dollar Highway.

We pulled into a NP Campground to find some water to fill up our bags (he didn't know I had plenty). Or maybe he did and just wanted some more gravel

Didn't get a pic of the first time through this mudhole, but Dad and Jessie got Sketchy . I was ready the 2nd time, but no mud nap today.

Approaching Silverton...

We would go into town the next day, but we were headed for other places this afternoon.

Waiting on the construction one-lane to open up.

Stunning, and I'm talking about the power lines...

Silverton from 550

Beautiful day, twisty road, not too much traffic. Fun 'dispatching' what was there though .

Close-up of the Million Dollar Highway...just looks like pavement to me

I had heard this section of 550 was full of hair-raising dropoffs. They were there, but I guess we were numb to them after Camp Bird

Having fun in the sweepers! Hold on to sumpin' Adventure Monkey

From this road you can see into the future! (Or atleast where you will be in a few minutes)

Pops pulled over at a seemingly random dirt road. We both watered the forest. He said "I think this is a back road to Purgatory and Hermosa Park...let's find out". Hmmm, I'll skip the first one if you don't mind

PinIt2WadIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #153
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Kingston, NM camping

I'm presently eating heuvo rancheros in Silver City, NM. I'll get back to this rr soon, so I can start a new one! The area around Silver City is awesome motorcycle country and I've got tons of pics to share!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #154
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From Ophir Pass to Hermosa Park

I think B-Rad was pumped after making it over Ophir Pass?

I didn't get many pics of the road down from Ophir Pass on the East side. I remember it being a blast with lots of big fixed rocks that made you pay attention and pick your lines carefully.

I did get a few pics when it smoothed out in places.

Here's that spot where a spring? was flowing out of the side of a hill. It
looked like milk...it was that white! I've read that the Uncomphagre River is yellow because of mining residue. The white stuff surely isn't from mining?!!

We reach 550 and stop by the river to transition from dirt to...the Million Dollar Highway! The milky color isn't apparent in the water here?

We hit a one way construction zone and wait for our turn to follow the pace car.

Headed South on 550.

Where are you, B-Rad?

Ok...there you are!

I'd read that the Hermosa Park road was a good place to spot deer and elk. I turn onto a dirt road that I think is the road. I was one turn off too soon, but this took us to Durango Mountain Resort and Hermosa Park Road.

I almost get caught erosion testing too close to the highway, so B-Rad heads for the woods. Hey, you gotta' go, you gotta' go!

The road quickly climbs and offers some sweet views.

You can see some of Durango Mountain Resorts runs. We skied here in the 80's when it was still called Purgatory. I wonder why they changed the name...probably weren't getting very many church youth groups!

Lots of meadow between the road and the river...should be a good place to spot deer and elk! Except for the fact that bow hunting season just opened a week prior.

A better shot of the Purgatory West runs.

It's hard to see in pictures, but these aspens are laughing! When the wind blows through aspen trees, they appear to be laughing.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #155
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Day 6: Hermosa Park

Told you we had a bunch of pics from day 6

Dad took off up the dirt road and I followed; what else am I going to do?

Durango Ski Park, once known as Purgatory. Dad's probably right about the name change:
Grandma: "Where are you going with your church youth group for Spring Break this year?"
Kid: "Purgatory"
Grandma: "Oh...my"

Dad: "I've been skiing here before, in my younger/partying days...I think so anyway..."

Right after the above pic was snapped, I realized my camera battery was going dead (big blinking red battery on the screen). Don't know why, I'd only taken 400+ pics at this point. I decided to keep the camera turned off until a good pic presented itself. We rode the ~20 miles? of gravel until this little river where we decided to turn around. We weren't scared, really, just getting late and still a good ride from camp. Dad might have been a little scared after his mud puddle slide earlier

Dad: "I'm not scared, you first..."
Me: "Me neither, but blah blah lame excuse blah"

What a great day, starting to get a little cooler though as the afternoon progressed.

Rode halfway back to get a look at the backside of the ski mountain.

The aspens do 'glitter' in the breeze; I guess if you'd been to Purgatory back in the day, you might even believe they are laughing.

Heading back to camp via 550

Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #156
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Laugh Day 6: Red Mountain

What a day! 550 was just as beautiful as this morning, and we were digging the turns and the scenery!

Sweeper central!

Took another quick break at the Red Mountain overlook. The 10mph turns before/after this rest area are sweet!

Hmmm, I wonder if Yankee Boy knew her?

Back on the road. Is this the "Bridge to Nowhere" I've heard about?

AVALANCHE!!!!!! Oh well, chill out in here...

Sexy curves, but don't try to get too fresh...she'll whoop your ass!

Approaching Ouray...I love this area!!! Can I get a Woot Woot???

Ohho, construction zone...time to stop and chill a minute (literally).

Hairy spots to operate heavy machinery...not me, thanks.

On the move again...quit worrying about my camera battery at this point, almost back to camp.

Gynecological?

Back to Hip Hip....

We stopped at Duckett's grocery for some steaks and fixin's; also ran into Apteka's liquor for some refreshments The guy in there knows his beer and had directed me, when asked about local microbrew, to the Ska True Blonde Dubbel the night before. Had to get a couple more of those bad girls to celebrate a great day's ride!
http://www.skabrewing.com/main.html

Oh, and a classic to start with The guy behind the counter gave me a sideways glance when I put this bad boy on the counter next to the two blondes.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #157
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Great pics! Love the look of those sweepers. Something else when the horizon goes acute angle, puts a little g force on you and stays there for awhile. Like a roller coaster or an airplane in a large radius, banking turn. Way the hell cool.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #158
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tail of the Dragon, New Mexico style

It's an awesome sensation, fo sho! Here's a teaser pic of some twisties from NM15 North of Silver City, NM. The road is even canted, which just adds to the sensation!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #159
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

B-Rad needs a different perspective on the aspens...he can't see them laughing? I think he walked away so I can't see him laughing?

Shadows are lengthening, so we head back for camp on The Million Dollar Highway.

The Red Mountain Scenic pullout with The Bridge to Nowhere.

This is why B-Rad's pics are better...he works harder for them!

Whoops...chopped the sign.

Sunset in the mountains is strange...

As soon as the sun starts to go behind the peaks, the temps begin to drop, even though it was perfect for riding an hour ago.

Then you line up with a valley to the West and it's a bright afternoon again!

We stop by the store in Ouray and pick up steak, potatoes, onions and red peppers...gonna eat good tonight! While I stow the vittles, B-Rad runs next door to pick up some blondes. Not chicks, k8E! Blonde microbrews from Azteka Liquors that have a fruity aftertaste.

We get back to camp and just in time for the last fading daylight. Wonder what put the strange bend in the aspen tree in the foreground?

I love camping amongst aspens...it means you're close to 9000' in elevation. Don't see many aspen below 8500'.

The previous 3 shots were taken while standing next to our picnic table! Awesome campsite surrounded by rocky crags in every direction!

Time to grill some steaks and red peppers, pan fry some taters and onions and get next to the Cap'n! I'll let Brad have the blondes.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #160
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We get the steaks on the grill...

and get some red pepper and onion on forks over the coals.

A pan full of potatoes and onion with a little steak fat for grease.

I think those are ready...let's eat!

It was delicious!

The only bad part about this campsite was firewood... we couldn't find any and wound up going to bed fairly early because of the chill at 8800'. That's OK...we have to break camp in the morning. We plan to cross Cinnamon Pass fully loaded with all our gear!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #161
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #162
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Wicked Day 6: the finale, finally

You saw Dad's supper pics, here are mine...we ate well!

Dad worked on the fire for the steaks while I cut up the veggies and cooked the tators and onions.

You know you're on a great vacation when the most difficult decision of the day is which nail to hang your coat on.

French fried tators and onions, uh huh (obscure quote...anyone?)

There's one of the two Ska Blondes...she must be shy, turned away from the camera

Mmmmm....red meat!

and tators...the two food groups if I remember correctly

The final result...the big meal and a few drinks put us down for the count. Last pic from Day 6, I promise! What an awesome day...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #163
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703

Now THAT'S camp chow! You guys deserve the ADV salute for that meal.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #164
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 135
Great ride report so far!!! My question is this one: what are those rearview mirrors you guys have installed on the Wee? they are not the oem Suzuki...Please let me know I love those rearview mirrors!! Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #165
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Aprillia mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsavard
Great ride report so far!!! My question is this one: what are those rearview mirrors you guys have installed on the Wee? they are not the oem Suzuki...Please let me know I love those rearview mirrors!! Thanks!!
Yeah, stromsavard, those are Aprillia mirrors and seemed to help with helmet turbulence. They're just the right amount of fish eye effect, too. All that for under 50 bucks a set! We ordered ours from Cycle Shack in Lubbock, an Aprillia and KTM dealership.

Backatcha' Stromdog!