User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #61
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Taylor reservoir

We take 135 North out of Gunnison to Almont, then turn East to Taylor Reservoir. Gixxer Steve didn't lie, this is lovely!

We pulled off at a trailhead for pics in the aspens.

You can't even tell the winds are gusting in here! Time for a group shot of the 3 Stooges.

We press on toward Taylor Reservoir. It's hard to believe it's Labor Day Monday in Colorado...very little traffic on this road! Thanks for the route recommendation, Steve!

Pretty good shot of Moe and Larry! Of course, everyone wants to be Curly...so when it came up, I ripped a passionate woob, woob... woob, woob woob woob No one attempted to outdo me, especially when they found out the tiebreaker is the Curly Shuffle. I bear permanent scars on my elbows from doing spirited Curly Shuffles! And I'm the one with the do it yourself burr haircut!

Taylor Reservoir on the left...darn traffic!

We stop at the Taylor store for a snack. We have to re-route because flight for life is picking up a heart attack victim and the road to the store is blocked. The store has a rustic charm, but my camera is on the mirror mount again. B-Rad got some good pics of it, as well as a big group of dirt bikers of all ages. It was hilarious when they road up! The leader was standing on the pegs at crawling speed with four or five 6-8 y.o.'s trying to emulate his every move. They did pretty good track stands for such a tender age! Counting on you to post up the pics, B-Rad!

We head back West on dirt into Taylor Canyon, which follows Spring Creek a ways.

The collegiate peaks are more impressive from 24 on the other side, but not worth fighting traffic over! Besides, these gravel roads are just what the Dr. ordered since we're planning to summit several high dirt passes on this tour!

BBB must be an aspiring geoligist? He sure seemed to spend a lot of time staring intently at rock walls...here he is...oh... uh... erosion testing.

This was a high elevation ride, with the Taylor store being near the treeline. Lots of scree around the treeline...I'm guessing because of the extreme temperature changes?

The bikes are beginning to get that dual sport look! We decide it's time to head for Crested Butte for a late lunch.

As we're riding through Crested Butte following our noses, we all suddenly start looking for a parking spot! The good smell was coming from this place.

We get a table and begin looking over the menu. B-Rad spots the Philly Cheese Steak and my mouth begins watering when he reads the description! BBB goes for a pizza...we all order a pint of home brew, despite the fact that we're heading for Kebler Pass as soon as we finish eating. Maybe it'll help me loosen up in the gravel...just not too much! Micro breweries are how Coloradans get around the 3.2 beer law! Mine was 6.2...BBB had a dark beer that was around 8%. I liked his better...had a coffee aftertaste to it! I had the same as B-Rad...too bitter for my taste, but it did loosen me up considerably. I'd had a close call on gravel in June and it affected me adversely.

Crested Butte is a cool little town...k8E would love it and she'd be a hit with her Southern Belle accent!

Speaking of Belles... up next...Kebler Pass and a view of the Southeast side of the Maroon Belle peaks.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #62
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,562
This is fantastic and in one of my favorite parts of the world...thanks
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #63
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ouray gets the vote from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno
This is fantastic and in one of my favorite parts of the world...thanks
Thanks, wayno...Ouray and the surrounding area is my favorite place in the world. The views are awesome, but I wouldn't want to live there. The winters and tourists must be hard to deal with?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #64
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2
Thanks, wayno...Ouray and the surrounding area is my favorite place in the world. The views are awesome, but I wouldn't want to live there. The winters and tourists must be hard to deal with?
Agreed
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #65
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kebler Pass is open

Must've been shod with Tourances or something interesting?

We head up Kebler Pass with a 1 beer glow and as promised, it's beautiful. A sense of euphoria envelopes me in the warm afternoon sunshine...

It's paved for a little ways. B-Rad's getting good at over the shoulder shots!

Even when it turns to dirt, it's as hard packed as pavement...with gravel all over it!

We begin to climb into the aspens and, sure enough...begin to see some maroon colored peaks peeking through the aspen at us!

Those have to be the Southern slopes of the Maroon Belles!

Kebler Pass could and probably should be paved? Too much traffic going way too fast for a gravel road. BBB's radio had run out of battery so he couldn't hear us on Starcom and he kept going when we stopped for pics of the Maroon Belles.

B-Rad had a couple pics here that are front page stuff, but I'll let him post 'em...he took 'em!

As we dropped back out of the aspens, we began to see this huge slab of what appeared to be granite?

We come around a corner and B-Rad is pointing toward a road way below... sure enough, there's BBB waiting for us. No way we would've seen him in anything but hi viz...that color is awesome, easy to spot a mile away!

We ride on into Paonia and fill up the gas tanks and get ice. The shadows are beginning to lengthen and I warn the stooges about the fun factor on 92. They grin from ear to ear and say "Bring it on!" B-Rad says he's going to mount his camera on the crash bar and get some video.

That kinda' looks like a canyon?

We pull over at one of the overlooks. We've just seen a pair of crotch rocket riders pull off and high five, big grins apparent even with their helmets on. We figure since they came from the East, there were probably no LEO's on 92 this evening! Brad mounts his ultraclamp to the left crashbar. I'm sure glad we're headed East!

Here's a few pics with the Pany TS2 mounted on the crashbar on Soap Box Road headed back to camp. We used up all of this day and it's beginning to get chilly!

Brrr...time for some fire!

What a fine, fine day...almost hate to see it go!

We were so tired, we didn't take any more pictures of Day 3. We just snacked for supper and hit the hay early...we could tell it was going to be a cold night!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #66
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Question More of the same...

I think this is working good; Dad posts the day or section of our ride with his pics, then I'll fill in some of the blanks with mine. If any of the inmates suggests an alternative, I'm all for it. Hopefully it won't disrupt the 'flow' of the trip with your take followed by mine.

Anyway, where were we...Labor Day. We left Ponderosa and the weather was looking good. The clouds from the evening before were gone and I was excited to be riding an unloaded bike finally. We have our bikes well-balanced when loaded with the front panniers, etc., but lighter is better! The slick gravel seemed much less evil.

Bridge over Blue Mesa Reservoir. The lake is much calmer today!

No traffic, but lots of people out enjoying the day in different ways.

While Dad and BBB were picking Steve's brain in Gunnison about possible routes, I was taking pictures of myself for k8E

Taking a break on the way to Taylor Park.

The cattle around Taylor Park were accustomed to visitors; even BBB's obnoxious 1KStrom didn't bother them. (j/k...that thing sounds nice! Wonder if I can put duals on my Wee...my question would be answered in a few more days )

Taylor Park was a cool little spot. Very popular with the ATV/Dirtbike/Offroad crowd. I sure missed my CRF250X while watching the dirtriders pull in and looking at the sweet trails ALL over the place!

The support columns for the store were unique to say the least. Every one of them had a tumor or two.

Here's the family of dirtriders Dad mentioned. Very cool, they were having a blast. All of them, ladies included, had that great goggle/dirt outline that means you are having a wonderful time.

We hit the dirt a few miles past the store. The pictures just don't do the Collegiates justice (of course, you can say that for almost any picture taken in Colorado; with a point/shoot anyway)

Not enough wind to carry the dust away, but I'd rather have dust than high winds any day!

Stopped for another break where the road crossed Spring Creek.

This is the point where I first noticed a problem with Dad's bike. As we were getting ready to load up, I was looking at our tires for rock damage/cuts/etc and noticed some oily dirt buildup on Jessie's FenderExtender. Upon closer inspection, I found the culprit. His right fork was leaking and the left was spraying. Not a good deal 1200 miles from home with some rugged passes still on our agenda! If you look close, you can see the oil on his front fender (middle bike). What can you do...ride it and watch it.

The bikes had a nice coating of dust after that road, but we need some dirt and mud to really make them good.

Time for some vittles...surely Crested Butte had some.

We parked the bikes and Pops attempted to break out his Mojo on this pretty lil' thang. I had to take a pic to break them up. Really, I was taking a pic of the Yorkie for my wife, k8E...she has one named Lacie.

Lots of shopping in this town...my wife would go crazy here! One of these days, baby.

The food smelled great as Dad mentioned, but one look at this umbrella and I knew we had found the spot.

The beer menu was larger than the food menu...my kind of place! As a side note, Dad was mistaken in his previous post. BBB had the #8 (Deschutes Black Butte Porter, 5.2%) while he and I had the #15 (Stone IPA, 6.9%). Good stuff, but Pops wasn't too keen on it. I think he downed it fast like you would cough medicine...that 6.9% worked it's magic nicely in before the food arrived.

Read the rest, especially #19...I was going to go for it and chickend out; regretting that decision as I'm typing this post; next time dangit.

Yes, I like beer (as long as it's not that 3.2% crap!).

The Cheese Steak was excellent.

Check out the ass on that 990 (or is it a 950?)...

Only a face a mother could love, the flowers don't even help I'm an owner, so I can say that

Full bellies, calm nerves, time to ride some dirt!

PinIt2WadIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #67
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Whoops

Pops posted while I was writing mine...apologize for the double pics (you dang thief, Dad ).
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #68
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whoops...busted!

I figured you'd be too busy editing the video to mess with pictures...we upgraded to Power Smugmug today so we can post a video of our ride East on 92.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #69
k8E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
father/son spat

Everyone just calm down Boys you'll all get the chance to share and discuss your experience. By the way, B-Rad is researching video editing software for the 92 footage. He'll get it up in a few days
k8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #70
PinIt2WadIt
Adventurer

Laugh Keebler, but not an elf to be found?

Here are a bunch of pics of Keebler Pass. I'll try to get the video of Hwy92 edited and posted as soon as possible.

Little different angle of the Maroon Bells (if these aren't the Maroon Bells, don't shoot the messenger...Pops told me they were ).

Probably not front page (thanks though Dad ), but decent for a rookie with a P/S?

Pics just don't do it...this thing was TOWERING above us during this section!

Really good people in Colorado, even a few great ones

As Dad mentioned, it's going to be a chilly night...the coldest of the trip so far. Here's a teaser from early the next morning.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #71
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 Black Canyon to Montrose for fork rebuild

B-Rad put a teaser pic of the chilly daybreak on Day 4. Here's another of the lake steaming. BBB's bike thermometer shows 30...sure glad the wind has let up or it WOULD be cold!

We stay in the tents 'til the sun crests the Eastern ridge. At least there's no frost this morning. That'll change before we head home!

Hot coffee and oat meal to kick start the system.

Unfortunately, jump starting the system involves vault toilets...oh, yeah...BBB said this toilet isn't stanky! So I ride over to see if I can change that! Bear proof trash cannisters by the toilets.

BBB was right, these things are clean and fresh smelling. Part of it is the design...two louvered vents at ground level on each side of the throne! A light breeze airs it out!

The view toward camp is sweet, but I'm pre-occupied. My forks are both leaking all over everything, including the brake pistons!!! No sign of oil on the rotors...yet?!!? We break camp and load everything...after 3 nights with nothing but handy wipe baths, we plan to get a room today. Do laundry and take it easy. Yeah...right...take it easy.

As we were riding in last night, we saw a mule deer doe with 2 yearlings by a stock tank just off the road. BBB was in the lead and they just watched him. I was in the middle and the yearlings began to bounce nervously...when B-Rad gets even with them, one of them bounds across the road directly in front of him. He was going slow with his brakes warm, so no problem.

When we head out on Day 4, B-Rad is leading and opens Juicy up on the last smooth straight before the highway. There's one itty bitty bush beside the road and guess what comes scrambling out of it as Brad nears...a full grown mule deer! We stop at the stop sign on 92 to wait for B-Rad's nerves to settle...that was too close for comfort! Good thing he was riding with Auntie karma! When he was a newborn, Nanny (my dad's mom) made him a sock monkey named Jocko. She had to do surgery on Jocko twice in the following years (a complete replacement the 1st time, he wore it out!) They were inseparable! Little Sis got him a smaller version for this trip. Super Monkey (Jocko IV) is our good luck charm!

And here's a pic of Little Sis (Auntie Sheryl) and her hubby, Steve, taken the night before we started this trip. They ride a hog...a Harley Ultra Glide with a Screaming Eagle kit!

While we're waiting for B-Rad's nerves to settle, a fully loaded Wee rolls in off 92 where we'd had so much fun the night before. He whips in and gives us an ADV salute. We all return the salute and friendships are forged instantly! His name is Mike and he's from Virginia! B-Rad will have to provide his ADV name, it's escaped my memory.

Mike had never been West of the Mississippi, so he saved vacation time for a couple years so he could have 3 weeks to do it right...on a k4 Wee! When we told him we're headed for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison South side, he asked if we minded if he came along. He'd just ridden 92 along the North side and was awestruck with it's raw beauty and enormity and wanted to see if from river level!

We pulled over at the top of the drop into the canyon and met several other bikers. My forks became the topic of discussion on every stop of Day 4...the left one is now gushing oil. One fellow Texan on a Hayabusa mentions a huge MC shop in Durango...thinks they might have the fork parts? I'm torn between riding to the bottom, or searching for someone to rebuild my forks...the lure of the Black Canyon wins out. Into the canyon we roll...

I didn't take any pictures of the Black Canyon...I was too focused on my front brakes and fork. The road into the canyon is paved but rough! I was afraid my front brake rotors would get oily and fail on the 16% grades on this road! We reach the bottom and once again my forks are the center of attention.

B-Rad's still having to do self-portraits for k8E!

We meet a couple on cruisers that just came from Davis Cycles in Montrose. Her Honda Shadow used a battery that was made for it specifically for 1 model year only...and Davis had it! They carry all 5 major brands of bikes and parts for all. She takes a group shot for us.

I'm anxious to head for Montrose to see if they have the bushings and seals for my forks. We head to the top and BBB turns away from Montrose on the Rim View road. Once again, I'm torn...and the allure of the canyon wins out... again.

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 12:13 PM
Phattyre-Phready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #72
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Black Canyon South Rim hike with a view

We climb back out of the canyon and take the South Rim scenic drive to the first pullout. BBB gets a pic with the Pany...there you go, k8E!

As much as I hate to rush this experience, I remind everyone of my forks and the need to get to Montrose. BBB and Sal had hiked to an awesome overlook on a previous trip and he insisted we had to see it!

Yeah...I'm still back here sliming everything...including my left pants leg now!

We park the bikes and start the hike...just like the North Rim, there are ancient juniper and pinion pine everywhere. Some of the dead ones must've been thousands of years old? Juniper and pinion don't normally get that big!

B-Rad has taken the "point and shoot" term literally and begins doing just that liberally. The good part is most of the shots turn out great. Of course with that subject matter...

We reach the end of the trail and I decide to see if a little trail connects from the other side...bad idea, I get vertigo and about crap myself!

Since I'm using Brad's pics, I'll save the good ones of the canyon and let him post them! We begin the long hike out...I'd guess at least a mile each way and lots of up and down...mostly up on the way out! We catch up with a couple from Amsterdam who are struggling in the altitude!

We're all kind of struggling on the climbs... we shoulda' brought some water!

I pass the Amsterdam couple and push the pace. It's afternoon now and the window for getting Jessie's forks repaired today is beginning to close!

We get to Davis Cycles in Montrose around 3pm. Great news...they have all the fork parts in stock! The next question...when can they get to it? More great news! The next day is booked, so they're going to get it done before closing time at 5:30! Awesome...way to do your good luck thing, Jocko IV Supermonkey!

We quickly strip the luggage and gear...Miah, the service manager points out a covered spot to leave the stuff and tells us a good place to eat while they do the work. I know I had pictures of him and Billy plus a store front shot of Davis Cycles, but can't find them! Speaking of Billy, he's a salesman there and a vStrommer from hell according to Miah. He's had a travelling Strom cache (sorta' like a GeoCache) since June and picked us to pass it on to!??!!! B-Rad is into GeoCaching with gps and was absolutely thrilled! I'll leave the rest of that story for him. I'm hoping he can find the missing pics from Davis Cycles, too!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #73
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
this is good stuff!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #74
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Disappearing posts!

Thanks, TouringDave. It could've been better?!!

Doing ride reports is unhealthy! I was working on yesterday afternoon's post for a couple hours and was almost ready to submit, busily typing away, when for no apparent reason, it jumped to the signin box? I was still signed in??? I hit the back button...GONE!!!! WTF!!!!! Major pisser!!!!! This kept happening to us when we were trying to use the netbook, so we blamed it on the touch pad. This time I was on my desktop and not even close to the trackball mouse buttons, so it happened for no reason!!! I walked away for a minute to regain composure and started over. The new post was only half as long and not nearly as good. I get an email from B-Rad around 10pm. He's mad as a wet hen...he just lost a long post the same way! He said screw it, sent me an email to vent a little and went to bed mad! Not good for your health at all.

Is anyone else having these problems? This didn't happen once when I did the Zigzagging Central Colorado RR. Any ideas Gadget Boy?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #75
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2
Thanks, TouringDave. It could've been better?!!

Doing ride reports is unhealthy! I was working on yesterday afternoon's post for a couple hours and was almost ready to submit, busily typing away, when for no apparent reason, it jumped to the signin box? I was still signed in??? I hit the back button...GONE!!!! WTF!!!!! Major pisser!!!!! This kept happening to us when we were trying to use the netbook, so we blamed it on the touch pad. This time I was on my desktop and not even close to the trackball mouse buttons, so it happened for no reason!!! I walked away for a minute to regain composure and started over. The new post was only half as long and not nearly as good. I get an email from B-Rad around 10pm. He's mad as a wet hen...he just lost a long post the same way! He said screw it, sent me an email to vent a little and went to bed mad! Not good for your health at all.

Is anyone else having these problems? This didn't happen once when I did the Zigzagging Central Colorado RR. Any ideas Gadget Boy?
I have had the same thing happen to me. Now, if I have a long post, I normally type it in Word and copy/paste. Just a suggestion.
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote