Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
John305 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Shipping from Miami to Mexico?

Hi all,
I just arrived in Mexico and was looking for the most affordable way to get my motorcycle shipped from Miami to Mexico. I've seen some of the previous threads offering shipping services to other locations in Latin America, all very good info.

Unfortunately, my motorcycle is located in Miami and not somewhere more convenient like Laredo, TX - which I'm sure would reduce my costs to get the bike shipped into Mexico.

Please feel free to reply to this thread or send me a PM if anyone has some suggestions. Maybe someone has some extra space in a shipping container leaving Miami or Tampa?

I sure wish the new Tampa-Cancun ferry service wasn't delayed until 2013...

Thanks in advance,

John
John305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
What little I've heard from people trying to ship into Mexico has made it sound extremely unappealing--long delays, unpredictable schedules, unending fees and outright refusals to let people take their bikes.

Take that for what it's worth. Never done such a thing myself, but if I had the urge I'd sure try to resist it.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
John305 OP
n00b

Thanks for the response. I'm not in a super rush to get the bike here, but the sooner the better would be good. I know there will probably be some issues with the delays, refusals, etc just because it's Mexico.

If it came in as air freight, I would fly it into Mexico City.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 706
you may be better off flying back here and riding it there...especially since you are there. who is going to get the bike to the shipper?
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
John305 OP
n00b

Thanks, I travel back and forth to Miami and I have family there as well. Getting it to the shipper wouldn't be an issue. Riding the bike here isn't an option for me either, unfortunately.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,203
Actually I don't think you can import the bike to mexico on a TVIP unless you physically ride it across the border yourself. You might look into trucking it to the Laredo border crossing and then riding it across. That would simplify things a LOT.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
John305 OP
n00b

As far as I know, if I get the TVIP online and provide it and a POA to a freight forwarder, they can bring it across the border. I would think that the same would be true for an air freight shipment. But I don't know for sure.

I'm not going to be able to ride it across the border in Laredo. If I could, I would definitely do so.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
Which port are you planning on shipping it to here?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I had a Swiss guy who stayed with me a couple of years ago who shipped from Germany into Mexico City. It was a bit of a nightmare but can be done. You can get the TVIP here in Mexico City and I guess online too.
I would recommend going to the cargo area of the airport and talking to an Agente Auanal there. The guy we used was named Enrique if I remember correctly.
Send me a PM if you need more info.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
John305 OP
n00b

MikeMike,
I'd ship it to Mexico City if it went by air freight or ground freight. If it went maritime, I'd most likely receive it in Veracruz and ride it back to Mexico City from there.

garrydymond,
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I'll send you a PM, as well.

Hopefully it all works out so I can meet the both of you around DF soon for some riding. I'm picking up a small commuter bike real soon to get around the city. I've been searching Mercado Libre for awhile now. I've been interested in an FZ16, CBX250, Ninja 250r, and the CBR 250r. I've also looked at the Chinese-made bikes like the Italika RT200. The Ninja 250r and CBR 250r are my first choice if I can't get my motorcycle shipped into Mexico.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by John305 View Post
I've been searching Mercado Libre for awhile now.
Try anumex.com. It's basically mexican craigslist.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Customs have been streamlined in some ports in the past couple of years.
Many expeditors are offering door to door pick up and delivery services.
Try Atlas Expeditors, they are a worldwide association based out of Mexico.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Shipping to Mexico City

I would not ship moto to Mexico City or any part of Mexico . You will have to pay about 30% tax on the value of the moto, plus the hassle's of brokers and fee's. I shipped mine from Panama City to Mexico City just to save the hassle of returning through Central American border crossings and save time. LOL I was told a simple fee and shipping costs would apply, but once it arrived in Toulca, not Mexico City, sent by FEDERAL EXPRESS Ground, I had to clear customs. After a week we settled on a :"fee" of $1,500 dollars, cash, no check, no credit card and. I had it crated in Panama and when it arrived it was in shrink wrap and I had to re assemble. They went through it and all my gear, I suppose extra care was taken since it was coming back north.
It is a great and easy ride down to Mexico City
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
I would not ship moto to Mexico City or any part of Mexico . You will have to pay about 30% tax on the value of the moto, plus the hassle's of brokers and fee's. I shipped mine from Panama City to Mexico City just to save the hassle of returning through Central American border crossings and save time. LOL I was told a simple fee and shipping costs would apply, but once it arrived in Toulca, not Mexico City, sent by FEDERAL EXPRESS Ground, I had to clear customs. After a week we settled on a :"fee" of $1,500 dollars, cash, no check, no credit card and. I had it crated in Panama and when it arrived it was in shrink wrap and I had to re assemble. They went through it and all my gear, I suppose extra care was taken since it was coming back north.
It is a great and easy ride down to Mexico City
Jeff, sorry to hear about your FedEx experience. A lot of people have had trouble with FedEx and their extra charges in both Mexico and Canada. I refuse to ever think about using them. UPS? Pretty much the same deal. I use DHL exclusively for anything. Shipping a bike via FedEx? I would never do it, they would be salivating at what they can dig out of you at point of delivery. Recognized international expeditors that specialize in cargo logistics are a better bet.
There are now a number of these operating with agreements with other like minded agencies throughout the world.
By the way, did you get the Simple Fee and Shipping Costs in writing?
FedEx ground likely went maritime and then ground from Panama to Toluca, as shipping by truck through Latin America is a little difficult. I am just guessing on this part, as truck trailer customs clearance in each nation would be a pain logistically, it would be much more effecient to go point to point. Some trucking agencies have agreements with other operators on a country by country basis and of course, FedEx does their own brokering and have their own terminals, but I have never seen a FedEx total ground shipment from say, Costa Rica to the USA, for example.
Did you get quotes from other agencies?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Fed ex

FED EX did fly it, but went from Panama to Tennessee and then into Toluca. Sorry if I implied they sent it by truck, LOL. I have all the doc's and papers, but it doesn't mean much when your facing 30 % on a 20k bike or a fee of $1500. FED EX did nothing, nor did my shipping broker. Once it arrived, I was the one to clear it. I asked all the questions about import fee's and was told, nothing else is to be paid. I told aduana that moto was continuing on through Mexico and being rode to US.. it did not make a difference. If anyone has better information on shipping a moto INTO Mexico, let me know. I would not ship any moto into Mexico.
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote