ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #16
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,334
If you like music, you should like Athens.
HTSRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #17
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
Look at the Fla. map South and West of Lake City where Oger was suggesting.
Good "blue highways" in that area. Cedar Keys on the Gulf is a neat place. You can sit on the dock and watch the sunset, drink a frosty one and enjoy some fine seafood. Then head East over to Ocala National Forest for some interesting riding. Some off road riding back in the forest on "sugar sand" awaits the brave ADVRider. Good camping there.
A suggestion to really confuse you. Boom Southeast on the back roads through Athens, Ga and on down to Savannah. Camp at Skidaway Island SP. Check out Tybee (another funky beach town) then cruise down coastal hwy 17 and see St. Simons/Jekel Island, then cut across into Fla above Folkston and work your way on back roads towards Suwannee and you are back to the Lake City area. I may be doing some of the Fla. route the week after Easter.
Now, I'm going to be in Saluda the second week after Easter. Think about some riding for me to do other than BRP and "the Dragon".
Lucky scoundrel, snow on the ground here and I'm not crazy enough to put spikes on the tires to go riding.
Driller
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #18
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Thank you to all for the input. I am now charged with compiling the suggestions and doing some sort of, um, er, planning. Planning. How'd that work again? Oh ya, make a bunch of confining paramaters and then break them later.....

So any other FL riders lurking? It's looking kinda like I might have to (after some northern FL detours ) put my head down and run I75 the latter few hours. Seems to be that the smaller roads either go no where or run through to many towns. The previous preferable to the latter, but I'm trying to make this trip (Asheville, NC to Sarasota, FL) in two days. Some fairly *important* obligations down there . Two days pushing it? Should I fall back to three? All opinions, were it me's, and in your shoes accepted.

Gawd, I hate working the few weeks before a great ride.
Will it ever come?
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #19
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetwistyroads
Thank you to all for the input. I am now charged with compiling the suggestions and doing some sort of, um, er, planning. Planning. How'd that work again? Oh ya, make a bunch of confining paramaters and then break them later.....

So any other FL riders lurking? It's looking kinda like I might have to (after some northern FL detours ) put my head down and run I75 the latter few hours. Seems to be that the smaller roads either go no where or run through to many towns. The previous preferable to the latter, but I'm trying to make this trip (Asheville, NC to Sarasota, FL) in two days. Some fairly *important* obligations down there . Two days pushing it? Should I fall back to three? All opinions, were it me's, and in your shoes accepted.

Gawd, I hate working the few weeks before a great ride.
Will it ever come?
You are making this much too difficult.

You have 2 days for the trip south? Perfect. Spend all day the first day having fun. Make it as far south as you desire, which doesn't have to be very far because Asheville to Sarasota is not far. Whatever you don't get done on the first day you can do on the second day. The latter half of the trip south will be across some fairly boring territory so it really doesn't matter which way you go--the backroads are every bit as straight as the slab, and nearly as fast.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #20
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

I guess you're right, I haven't done a long distance trip on two wheels yet, so I'm way over planning and am overly uptight about the whole ordeal. I have only been riding since march this year, but have (between two bikes) clocked about 15k. Distance is no problem. But I've never done *this* sort of thing before, so I'm not wanting to push it. My nature is to overly plan and stress out for no reason, so my thought is talking about it a month in advance should help.

The more I think about it, I've caged this trip in a hair less then 10 hours, two days should be e-a-s-y. Why am I making this so hard? Just ride the damn thing. Start, ride till eveving, camp, repeat, be done.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 AM   #21
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
I guess you're right, I haven't done a long distance trip on two wheels yet, so I'm way over planning and am overly uptight about the whole ordeal. I have only been riding since march this year, but have (between two bikes) clocked about 15k. Distance is no problem. But I've never done *this* sort of thing before, so I'm not wanting to push it. My nature is to overly plan and stress out for no reason, so my thought is talking about it a month in advance should help.

The more I think about it, I've caged this trip in a hair less then 10 hours, two days should be e-a-s-y. Why am I making this so hard? Just ride the damn thing. Start, ride till eveving, camp, repeat, be done.
I understand the urge to plan. I just don't do it very well. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

I covered some of the same ground in
October of '03. If the weather cooperates you'll have a fun trip.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #22
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
fl roads

Quote:
Why am I making this so hard? Just ride the damn thing. Start, ride till eveving, camp, repeat, be done.
Hi,

Don't beat yourself up. If you are like me, I very much look forward to my time on my GS and need to maximize the experience since I don't get to ride as much as I would like. Keep planning. Getting a good ride in Florida depends on it. If you blindly start going down even back roads, you may end up in a major population center or tourist area, both equal many traffic lights, and traffic. Traffic this time of the year goes up in some areas by over 50%. That sucks. and the planning part really extends the experience into your "normal" life. Thats a good thing.

I live in tampa, work in ft. Myers, and in my last job I spent a lot of time on the roads between tallahasse, gainsville, Tampa, Sarasota, west of Orlando, and down to Ft. Meyers so I can speak to these areas.

If you don't mind not riding along the ocean (you can hit the beach in Sarasota) A basic strategy would be to try to go through the middle of Florida west of Orlando, well east of Tampa. Inland FLorida is mostly cows and, long straight two lanes. If you have a good map, pick any "three number" routes that avoid population centers is an idea. Then once past Tampa start heading west to Sarasota.

North and east of Tampa I would check out the Ocala national forest Get on mapquest and try to connect "the green" which are lots of national and state parks. I'm often amazed at how undeveloped the interior of FL is (Orlando excepted).

Let me know here or PM me, where you will be entering FL and we can discuss. Also here is a good camping link http://www.floridastateparks.org/
Old 12-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #23
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
If your coming south from the Gainsville Ga. or Cleveland Ga. area a not to bad ride is 53 south by Road Atlanta to 11 at Winder then South through Monticello Ga. then I think its 73 to Forsythe Ga. cross west of 75 go toward Thomaston Ga. pick up 19 South and come down the west coast of Fl. You will see some old Florida and if you have time check out Stiehatchie (sp) or Cedar Key DO NOT GO south of 98 on US19 or you will get into the worst stop and go road in Florida. You can take 98 to the Veterans expressway and pick up 275 at Tampa and then across the sunshine skyway bridge to 75 then Sarasota or 98 to 301 or 41 South toward Sarasota. I'm writing this away from my maps if you want me to double check the highway numbers let me know. Places to avoid I75, I95, Orlando, Clearwater,US19 South of 98 until South of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #24
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett
Hi,

Don't beat yourself up. If you are like me, I very much look forward to my time on my GS and need to maximize the experience since I don't get to ride as much as I would like. Keep planning. Getting a good ride in Florida depends on it. If you blindly start going down even back roads, you may end up in a major population center or tourist area, both equal many traffic lights, and traffic. Traffic this time of the year goes up in some areas by over 50%. That sucks. and the planning part really extends the experience into your "normal" life. Thats a good thing.

I live in tampa, work in ft. Myers, and in my last job I spent a lot of time on the roads between tallahasse, gainsville, Tampa, Sarasota, west of Orlando, and down to Ft. Meyers so I can speak to these areas.

If you don't mind not riding along the ocean (you can hit the beach in Sarasota) A basic strategy would be to try to go through the middle of Florida west of Orlando, well east of Tampa. Inland FLorida is mostly cows and, long straight two lanes. If you have a good map, pick any "three number" routes that avoid population centers is an idea. Then once past Tampa start heading west to Sarasota.

North and east of Tampa I would che ck out the Ocala national forest Get on mapquest and try to connect "the green" which are lots of national and state parks. I'm often amazed at how undeveloped the interior of FL is (Orlando excepted).

Let me know here or PM me, where you will be entering FL and we can discuss. Also here is a good camping link http://www.floridastateparks.org/
Ah yes, the "season." I grew up in Sarasota, and am quite familer with the tourists. Snow birds. Whatever you call them they're everywhere and none of them should be allowed to drive. I was thinking of very simular concept, play a game of Avoid the Towns on back-back roads. Central areas are incredibly sparse, and would be much better riding then slabbing I75. When a friend went to school in Lakeland I used to buzz between there and Sarasota on 62 and 39, I'd never seen roads so straight. The cops always hide in the same place too....tripple digits most the way. But looking through the more northern/central area lef tme without many ideas. Was hoping for something easier then changing roads every 20 miles. I'll be coming down 441 out of GA, though if I'm making good time I might jump off before I get to Fl on 94, as Okefenee Swamp looks interesting. I could ride that down a ways and combine a couple roads (something like 94-127-through Sanderson, grab 10 to 121-125-301-though Starke to 100-315-310-19, through ocala natl forest, and run that all the way (with 33) to lakeland. I might have to deal with some crap in Lakeland, but I can do the old route form there. Whatcha think? COmplicated, huh? I'd like simpler better......back to the map!

Thanks for the help all!
Keep it coming.....
Old 12-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #25
Randall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
What the heck.....

just to keep things confusing.....

I can not remember the names of the roads between Deals Gap area and Augusta, GA but I do remember them as being some pretty good riding.

I used to drive, on a very regular basis, from Augusta, GA to Ocala, FL and almost always took 121 out of Augusta (about 300 miles). Sometimes 121 through Starke and sometimes 301 through Callahan and then Starke. Back then I could bust as fast as I could go - not any more. But the road is still a very nice road to ride. Some small towns - not all that many I don't think - and they have not really grown all that much over the years. Because it is pretty open, there is on occasional trooper hiding out along the way but they are pretty much looking for someone really busting - like I used to.

I usually make the trip in a day and have not camped out along this route although I think you could with no problem. I know that taking 121 on a Sunday does not offer lots in the way of stores etc. Large parts of GA still roll up the sidewalks in the evenings and on Sundays. Gas is not a problem.

This route is only good if you should decide to head towards the eastern side of FL and then drift to the south-western side towards Naples.

2002 Graphitan GS
Ride Long, Ride Safe, Ryd On

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-what a ride!!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #26
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I understand the urge to plan. I just don't do it very well. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

I covered some of the same ground in
October of '03. If the weather cooperates you'll have a fun trip.
Great ride report. I am ovbiously bringing the camera with me, planning on a well illustrated, but poorly worded report in about a month or so .

I am quite good at the planning thing, I even relish it. It may appear to mere mortals I am freaking out, but I'm actually enjoying re-hashing the whole thing in my head over and over. Maybe I should take this as a lesson. Get a general idea, get on, ride, and decide when I get there. Wherever 'there' is.

As far as routes, after more thought I'm leaning central FL, with the contingency of bailing to 75 to make time if I need to. And that'd only be to keep it under two days I suppose, unless the weather's just absolutely begging me to spend another night outdoors. In which case I may. But you're right, if the weater cooperates it'll be fun. If it doesn't I'll be cold and wet. And looking for a hotel at the end of the day ! Which, geez, wouldn't be the end of this or any other worlds. "The worst day riding's better then the best day at work," as it's been put......

Ahhhh. That feels better. The haze indecisivness is setting in , and it's good. Truthfully I can't wait to leave, DUH, and the route is more of a secondary thing. I just wanna go, and will be happy to ride on most any road as long as it's not I-freaking-Seventy Five all day. Anything else will do nicely!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #27
nazareth
Urbane Gorilla

Oddometer: 129
Take the interstate all the way. If you get tired find a cheap hotel. Spend as much time on the beach in Sarasota as possible.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:36 PM   #28
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazareth
Take the interstate all the way. If you get tired find a cheap hotel. Spend as much time on the beach in Sarasota as possible.
2 out of three aint bad

I'll call you a few days before you come down, like the 12th or 13th and we'll hit that ride back.

How's that K?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #29
nazareth
Urbane Gorilla

Oddometer: 129
Cool and Cool.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #30
ridetwistyroads OP
tailwind please

Thank you to all for the road advice, the oddesy begins on Monday. Ride report to follow, stay tuned....