Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #136
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
PS: Buy a house before the race ruins your credit?
Ha! You know I just did that - picked up the keys when I got back from the US at the beginning of this month!

Problem is, it's a real 'fixer-upper' as you guys say... it needs totally rewiring and replumbing, and most of the rooms plastering too... never mind the work required outside to get it looking good again...

In between sorting the WR and all my Dakar prep, I've made a start on the place - most of this week I've in a sleeping bag on an air mattress, in the freezing cold (no heating in the place), and breathing in dust from all the demolition work... still, all good Dakar training eh?!

As for help with the incidentals - thank you for your generous offer, I may well be tapping you guys up for stuff like that!

In the meantime, I must just say that this evening I got confirmation from the UK distributor for GPR steering dampers (which as you may well be aware is my brand of choice as fitted to the Tenere, and the XR650R before that), that they are going to help out with a damper kit for the WR... pics and details to follow once it's all fitted up!

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #137
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
Well I just bought a lottery ticket and I'm certain that I'll win the $40,000,000 on saturday. As soon as I do I'll just go ahead and cover your expenses so you can worry about healing up and racing.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #138
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Ha! You know I just did that - picked up the keys when I got back from the US at the beginning of this month!

Problem is, it's a real 'fixer-upper' as you guys say... it needs totally rewiring and replumbing, and most of the rooms plastering too... never mind the work required outside to get it looking good again...

In between sorting the WR and all my Dakar prep, I've made a start on the place - most of this week I've in a sleeping bag on an air mattress, in the freezing cold (no heating in the place), and breathing in dust from all the demolition work... still, all good Dakar training eh?!

As for help with the incidentals - thank you for your generous offer, I may well be tapping you guys up for stuff like that!

In the meantime, I must just say that this evening I got confirmation from the UK distributor for GPR steering dampers (which as you may well be aware is my brand of choice as fitted to the Tenere, and the XR650R before that), that they are going to help out with a damper kit for the WR... pics and details to follow once it's all fitted up!

J x
Great news on the sponsorship! And the house! And your good spirits!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #139
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Keep it up and keep us posted!!

Great to hear you're recovering, hope you resume training soon!

3 weeks huh?
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #140
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:

Right, some good news at least - I also picked up my new WR450F which Yamaha UK were very generous in helping out cost-wise - I got a cracking deal, cheaper than I could have bought a decent secondhand one for...
Very glad to hear that Yamaha is helping you out a bit. They should since you certainly are helping them sell bikes through your build-up threads. I know that had some effect on why I went for a WR250F for my enduro bike!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #141
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42
Very glad to hear that Yamaha is helping you out a bit. They should since you certainly are helping them sell bikes through your build-up threads. I know that had some effect on why I went for a WR250F for my enduro bike!
Yes - Yamaha UK have been very supportive of my various projects, including the Tenere for Heroes-Legend last year... I was all set to buy a new one at discount (having tested all the modifications on my original bike) when I realized that my existing bike was still good as new, despite having spent 6 months and 23,000 miles in the USA...

Certainly those exploits have inspired others to try/buy the Tenere, and there are quite a few being modified in a similar way now with WP forks (and 18" rear wheels - Talon tell me they have sold a number now based on my original prototype) - in fact a friend of mine Bernard prepped his Tenere in a similar fashion and is racing Heroes-Legend this year as we speak!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630054

As for the WR, obviously it helps that I also have an editorial outlet through TBM, so Yamaha will get additional publicity that way over the next few months, but I like to think I already have a good relationship with them, and hope that will continue into next season!

J x
Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #142
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,313
I love TBM. I do not subscribe, but I get lucky and find it ever now and then at the book store here in the US. It is a great magazine. Definitely a lot different than your typical American mag. American dirt bike mags are written for 12 year olds I think.

I will dig through my old issues and look for your articles.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #143
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:

As for the WR, obviously it helps that I also have an editorial outlet through TBM, so Yamaha will get additional publicity that way over the next few months, but I like to think I already have a good relationship with them, and hope that will continue into next season!

J x
forgive my ignorance but what is TBM?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #144
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfez
forgive my ignorance but what is TBM?
Hey Monkey' - don't worry, I thought I'd mentioned it before (it's probably buried somewhere in this thread) - TBM is "Trail Bike Magazine" - a UK dirt bike magazine (if you hadn't guessed by the title x) that I write for on a freelance basis... It is also available in the US, typically through Barnes & Noble, normally a month after the UK cover date.

In the past they have run series about my two trips to the US, traveling in Europe & Morocco, and most recently (August 2010 issue, with a Husaberg on the cover) has my story from the Heroes-Legend (Paris-Dakar) Rally on the Tenere last year...

If you have more money than sense, and want to order back-issues:

April/May/June 2008 issues feature my first trip around the Western US on an XR650R I bought and prepped there.

Nov/Dec '08/Jan '09 is my trip around Europe & Morocco on the XR650R (having shipped it back home from the US).

Dec 2009 has a feature about the build of my Rally Tenere (I didn't write this one, the editor interviewed me about it).

Jan/Feb/Mar 2010 is my series about taking the Tenere across the USA and back (including the TAT, Moab, Rubicon, Death Valley, Gulf coast, Daytona, Deal's Gap etc)

And Aug 2010 has the feature about the Tenere on Heroes-Legend last year...

You can order back issues through their website: trailbikemag.com

J x

ps. if you really want to go back in time, get hold of the Jan '07 issue, which has the first feature I wrote for them - about a friend and I taking two bikes and a Range Rover Sport to Morocco - some excellent photos in that one x

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 01:23 AM
Old 10-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #145
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,557
How are you mending ? Going to be good to go come January?

Dakar.......you must be freaking stoked :)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #146
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
How are you mending ? Going to be good to go come January?

Dakar.......you must be freaking stoked :)
I'm certainly freaking... there is still an awful lot up in the air at the moment, and only three weeks before everything has to ship...

The good news is I got back on a bike for the first time today - took my new WR out for 100 miles to break it in, and I really want to get a few hundred miles on that spare engine before I strip the bike next week...

I must say, it was still painful getting on and off the bike, but riding (on the road) was ok at least... just great to be back on two wheels really!

My heel (that was broken) has never been the problem really, it is more my ankle joint and all the ligaments that were damaged - that is where the pain is still... I'm doing my best to walk without crutches now, and hopefully get some strength back in those muscles... I'd also like to get out on the mountain bike in the next week or two too... let's hope all that works, as the prospect of pushing a stuck bike through sand dunes with my foot in this shape does not bare thinking about!

J x
Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #147
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,958
I think maybe I'll take out the 640 and see if Chapters has a copy here?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #148
DakarDreamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Count Down to Dakar!

Hi Jenny

Been meaning to check out your progress since returning from Morocco. Bummer about the heel but glad to hear it's on the mend. (I did broke my heel/ankle and knee in a climbing accident a few years a go so know it's bugger to get full mobility back - keep moving it over the next few weeks!)

Toby and I were discussing the different WRF set ups with Martin Wittering at Rally du Maroc and the WRFs now top of the list for our 2012 Dakar bid (unless we can spring for a couple of Factory KTM450RRs!)- but yours is now looking sweet!

Let us know about sponsorship opportunities and we would be interested in offers on your spare or Rally bikes when you get back (As well as tapping you for all your contacts and hard won experience! )

Hope the next couple of weeks goes well (as it will fly by!)
cheers
Jago
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #149
spick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Watching this thread as well.

Jenny, what are the chances of picking up tanks such as the ones you had fabbed for water and fuel? They look great and fit really well with the bike build. Not that I need them any time soon but you never know...

Good luck and fast healing!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #150
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,188
Forgive me for not reviewing all the previous posts to see if the info is already posted, but is there a website to follow you? Even if it's just a racing page for you on Facebook?
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote