Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #1486
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
An epic case of the Dakar Bug. "There I was, with my broken leg, covered in dust from CS blasting past at 843mph just 13' 4" away, watching the chopper approach, still groggy from the endo, trying desperately to remember how to turn on this damn camera so I could get some pics for my groupies, dammit, (that's what's important, after all!), planning the next one". That's a serious case of good attitude.
Nice concept you got there, Jenny!
Fixt!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #1487
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Still going to be using Desert Rose support? Or, are you going marathon class next time?
Hey DRC! Just to clarify - 'Marathon' means one engine, and major cycle parts have to be OEM, 'Malles Moto' is the class that is unassisted/do you own maintenance...

I'm most likely going to choose Desert Rose for assistance again - unless someone offers me a blinding (ie. free) mechanical support deal with their team of course!

But my bike is eligible for 'Marathon' as it stands, and if I only have one engine next time, well then it makes sense to be in that class again of course!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #1488
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,080
Wonder how a WR250R would go, reliability wise?

Have a talk to Austin. He needs to do Dakar too. I want to see a DR350 on the finish line
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #1489
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Wonder how a WR250R would go, reliability wise?

Have a talk to Austin. He needs to do Dakar too. I want to see a DR350 on the finish line
Knowing Austin's luck, it would end up like this:

Jx

ps. I think the WR250R would be a great bike to build into a rally machine... however, there are a few shortcomings - although powerful for a 250, less than 30bhp is going to struggle in big sand...

It is also not much lighter (infact it's heavier) than a WR250F - and the enduro range has better suspension, which at this level, is going to be important - particularly to help make up for any lack of outright power?

That is not to say you couldn't fit the WRF forks and an Ohlins shock to the WRR of course... it's tempting...

However, the real killer (in the UK at least) is they have dropped the WR250R from the 2011 model line-up - it's just too expensive in the UK :o(
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1490
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Piglet takes fast taxi to JMo's Calama hospital residence

Unseen footage from Dakar 2011:
At 0:28 we see the little fella motivating the driver

2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #1491
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Naked ambition!

Ha ha - excellent - the little guy gets everywhere!

(I'll have to have a word with him about not wearing his team shirt in that footage mind you!)

Jx
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #1492
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Unseen footage from Dakar 2011:
At 0:28 we see the little fella motivating the driver

DOOD! That is just flat KOOL!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #1493
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Talking The JM Racing ...

DNF AFU Tee gets around!

Coffee/ciggy break at a picnic area South of Paris, headed home from the Roxton Rallye de Paris last Monday. (That's a Guinness I'm opening, btw; the housekeeper had 5 of 'em on her cart that somebody'd left in the little reefer in the room. I thought $5 was fair and so did she.)
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #1494
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Talking That JMo Dakar DNF AFU Shirt ...

... gets around! Was over at Texas Motor Speedway for a 5-day "tailgate party" with ol' bikey friends from Amarillo & Wichita Falls and was wearing your shirt when we made a supplies run to Wal-Mart. Lo and Behold, a photo op! And, yes, I did get asked, several times, what Dakar, DNF, and AFU were! We might have some new Team F5ers come 2012!

Many. many more pics, including our camps before & after the tornado (minimal damage - they were only F1s), and of the pup that adopted me Sunday morning, in the campground ("Ruffus Q. Finishline," by name). If anyone's interested, PM an e-mail addy and I'll send a bunch. No time to upload to P-Bucket now; there's bikey stuff to do, including stripping a Sporty to get the tims repainted, getting ready to enter Kai Ju's SuperHawk in a bike show Saturday, taking gear up to Tyler for a Benefit Auction for a super Parts Gal who's been stricken with Hodgkins Lymphoma (also Saturday), and taking pics and writing a blurb for an upcoming article in Motorcyclist magazine, adjunct to Kai Ju's build article.

Life is GOOD!
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #1495
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Excellent stuff - lovin' the locations there Garfey!

Just a quick update - I've been have a series of sessions with the Laser doctor, and my leg seems to have dramatically improved in the last couple of weeks - I can now walk across the room with out my crutches, so I'm hoping that within a couple more weeks, I should be walking properly again (maybe with a bit of a limp still x).

I won't get the all clear until the 5th of May (unless I can wangle an earlier x-ray), but after then I can start making plans for the rest of the year, and most importantly, getting back to full (and even better) fitness... one thing is for sure, it will be great to get back on a bike again!

Dakar 2012 is an end-to-end all the way to Lima this year... I'd like to be there.

Jx
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #1496
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Dakar 2012 is an end-to-end all the way to Lima this year... I'd like to be there.

Jx
Jen

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I would love to see you in Lima in January next year !!!!

Good to hear the recovery is going well - keep working at it

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #1497
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Wicked Wonderful ...

News re the ol' gam! I can only imagine how badly you want to R I D E !!

If you have no objection, I'll send you more pics from the "tailgate party" - just a few ol' friends kicking back and catching up on news from the past year. The tornado(es) did a bit of damage around us but we were remarkably lucky. My new pup - he wandered into camp Sunday morning and adopted me - curled up on my boots and slept through an E-ticket ride, hailstorm and all. He's a keeper and is asleep on my right foot right now.

I received a full K100RS tank bra from Inmate Motorcycho in Canada yesterday and am going to attach a square of high-pile carpet to it, get him some Doggles (tho' with the fairing/windscreen Doggles probably aren't necessary), strap him to me, and have him riding within a week, I'll bet. At least that way I won't be tripping over him! (I also have a spare fuel tank, already painted a modern equivalent of paint code 678, Perlsilber. My Painter is GOOD!)

Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #1498
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
I received a full K100RS tank bra from Inmate Motorcycho in Canada yesterday and am going to attach a square of high-pile carpet to it, get him some Doggles (tho' with the fairing/windscreen Doggles probably aren't necessary), strap him to me, and have him riding within a week, I'll bet. At least that way I won't be tripping over him! (I also have a spare fuel tank, already painted a modern equivalent of paint code 678, Perlsilber. My Painter is GOOD!)
Ha! Now that is a photo I want to see! Post it up fella!

Jx
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #1499
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Turns out the Benefit was today, not yesterday, so Ruffus & I could get to both. Didn't do as well as expected in the bike show. Had I been more attuned to what was going on, I'd have realized I was backing a nag when the tall Blonde rode in on her black Crotcher with pinky-purply skulls all over it. Plus, aside from a few of the squids and one of hte Judges who asked, nobody had the faintest idea what the heck he/she was looking at. Next time I'll have handouts ready and maybe a big poster.

We took 2nd in Sport Bike. Kai Ju's rad, red, rorty, nekkid SuperHawk is at right, 2nd Place trophy protruding like a periscope.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #1500
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Talking Ruffus, Bikey Pup

And today we went to the Benefit and Rufus rebelled far less against his harness than he did against a leash yesterday. He was a bit nervous on the way up and tried to leap off once, 'bout 30 miles up the road, but the way he was tethered to me and the way I had him cradled, he couldn't even make it off the tank.

He was a trooper on the way back home and had been such a sweetie at the Benefit, vacuuming up all the dropped bits of brisket he could find, that I bought him a cup of Vanilla at DQ. A lady there took a couple of pics and I took more, rolling, but they were left-handed shots and so nothing to brag about.

96.4 miles under his belt/harness now.
(Yes, I know that bit of indoor/outdoor carpet is horrid but it was cheap and available.)
Attached Images