User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #1501
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 99
Thumb Keep posting!

Well Jen, congratulations on the adventure and a good recovery. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us and for providing honest, down to earth insights as to what it was like. Do you think your 2012 prep will include the Colorado section of the TAT? Sorry about the Tenere, I know you loved that bike. IMHO very fair asking price by the way. With all the Dakar activity, were you ever able to make progress with your new house or at least get settled in?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #1502
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Excellent stuff - lovin' the locations there Garfey!

Just a quick update - I've been have a series of sessions with the Laser doctor, and my leg seems to have dramatically improved in the last couple of weeks - I can now walk across the room with out my crutches, so I'm hoping that within a couple more weeks, I should be walking properly again (maybe with a bit of a limp still x).

I won't get the all clear until the 5th of May (unless I can wangle an earlier x-ray), but after then I can start making plans for the rest of the year, and most importantly, getting back to full (and even better) fitness... one thing is for sure, it will be great to get back on a bike again!

Dakar 2012 is an end-to-end all the way to Lima this year... I'd like to be there.

Jx
So only 4 days to go now Jen. great to hear you are doing better.

Im really bummed that my new job will mean no Dakar in 2012 for me either. Also I will be moving away from Lima. However 2013 is on the cards and a little birdie told me that 2013 Dakar will also have Bolivia in it, which is awesome.

At least now I will be able to afford it!
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #1503
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,265
OK, quick update...

I finally picked up my bike from Desert Rose last week, and the old girl is going to need a thorough fettle and a few mods before she is ready to race again...

I couldn't wait to inspect the damage - fortunately it is mainly dust and battered fairing/twisted nav tower - which I plan to replace with the new 'YZF' style fairing anyway...

Although some bugger stole the tool role from my fender pack, fortunately my expensive Motion-Pro tyre spanners were not robbed:

And I have a few souvenirs for the workshop wall:

Anyway, I made a start on the front end:

Only to get a bit despondent and decided to rebuild my spare bike instead:

Took about 10 hours, and fired up straight on the button - result!

Of course today was the day I had another x-ray (after the laser treatments last month), but unfortunately it's good and bad news...

The good news is there is noticeably more bone growth than last month, and certainly I can walk arounf without my crutches now which further helps to stimulate the healing process...

However, there is still a lot of bone required to re-grow in the fracture area - it was a pretty severe break, about 4 inches long, and the doctor I saw today said it would be at least 6-9 months before they could consider it healed sufficiently to take the metal work out...

So it looks like I'm going to be stuck with it until next year now, which, while it won't ultimately stop me recuperating and getting on with getting fit (I'm ok to ride a bicycle now), does pose a question whether I'll be able to return to the Dakar in January 2012.

Obviously I could race again with the ironwork still in there (plenty of people do I'm sure), the question, or rather fear, is that should I have another serious accident or injury to that leg, then the rod in there would hamper the re-setting of the bone, and could quite possibly cause significant complications should they have to then remove a bent rod.

So I'm kind of feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment.

Anyone want to buy a brand new (600 miles only) road-registered 2010 (60 Plate) model WR450F?

Likewise my Rally Tenere really needs to be sold...

I'm looking for £6000 for either of them.

Toot toot.

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 12:08 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #1504
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,758
I notice you have a Buffwear sponsor sticker on your bike. De Azavedo (I think, maybe someone else) has been sponsored by them and wears a Buff graphics on his helmet. I also noticed that this year Marc Coma was sporting a "Marc Coma" Buff around his neck in some interviews.

I've scoured the Buff websites and online retailers sites but can not find any buffs that relate to the Dakar Rally or any of the racers. I'd love to buy some, do you have any insight?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #1505
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

OK, seems I can't get the video to play either...

Jx
Old 05-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1506
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
I notice you have a Buffwear sponsor sticker on your bike. De Azavedo (I think, maybe someone else) has been sponsored by them and wears a Buff graphics on his helmet. I also noticed that this year Marc Coma was sporting a "Marc Coma" Buff around his neck in some interviews.

I've scoured the Buff websites and online retailers sites but can not find any buffs that relate to the Dakar Rally or any of the racers. I'd love to buy some, do you have any insight?
Hi Beez - Yes, you can have a special run of Buffs printed for your own design, but it is quite expensive.

A short run (say for a group or event) is printed onto plain material, otherwise you need a run of about 200+ I believe before they will print the material in the usual way.

Best thing to do is to contact them by phone and discuss your requirements.

However, do be aware that while for 'personal use' I'm sure they will print anything you like on them, if you were planning on selling them, there might be copyright issues if you were to use the ASO Dakar logo for example?

(unless you subtly change it by incorporating a pig for instance x)

I plan to get a custom run done [for the supporters packs] if Buff sponsor me again next year...

Jx
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #1507
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,758
Not the response I was hoping for but thanks. I just wanted a Dakar buff or a Marc Coma buff for my personal use. I have no idea what I would do with 200+ buffs.

Now if you do a run of JMo buffs and sell them to fund another rally I would love to buy one and wear it proudly. And I'm sure a lot of others would too.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #1508
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoThere@50 View Post
Well Jen, congratulations on the adventure and a good recovery. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us and for providing honest, down to earth insights as to what it was like. Do you think your 2012 prep will include the Colorado section of the TAT? Sorry about the Tenere, I know you loved that bike. IMHO very fair asking price by the way. With all the Dakar activity, were you ever able to make progress with your new house or at least get settled in?
Hi GoThere - thanks for the support and encouragement!

I am planning on coming back to the US later this year, but probably only as far as Moab (plus another pop at the Rubicon - 3rd time lucky I hope!)...

The Tenere is still for sale, and although it makes sense to keep it, ultimately I think I need to sell at least two bikes (I have 6 currently!) so that and the new WR450 need to go, as they are the two worth the most money.

The house is coming on very nicely - there was so much work to be done that I had to employ a building company, and they are close to finishing now. Now I can at least walk, I hope to get in there soon and start decorating...

But then there is the rally bike to rebuild... oh so little time...

Jx
Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #1509
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Not the response I was hoping for but thanks. I just wanted a Dakar buff or a Marc Coma buff for my personal use. I have no idea what I would do with 200+ buffs.

Now if you do a run of JMo buffs and sell them to fund another rally I would love to buy one and wear it proudly. And I'm sure a lot of others would too.
Sorry I should have been more clear - for a short run, Buff will print you as few as you like (I imagine they would even do just one?), but the cost goes down the more you have - typically small groups like stag parties or clubs can get say 10-15 printed...

The 200+ run is for the proper impregnated (woven) material, rather than a screen-printed type, if you see what I mean? And more suited to a commercial enterprise.

Hmmmm... 200 buffs at £20 each... that's gonna pay for a lot of tyres!

Jx
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #1510
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Piglet's hidden career as cell phone vendor.

The little fella is here observed at 0:14 enroute to Calama, cleverly exploiting alternative sponsor contracts on his way to Jenny's hospital residence with a backup cell solution. At this point speculations ran high about JMo's com capabilities. Was she on morphine or other drugs - or was she giggling away on the netbook after having "borrowed" the hospital EMR network PC? Team F5 can trust piglet.

Another prototype service is also speculated; enroute volunteers offering goggle cleaning and windscreen wash for competitors.
While OT in this thread, here's revealing footage from the initial volunteer in-rally demo runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtO69...eature=related
Rumour has it the goggle cleaners suffered some attrition and the project was "put on ice".
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #1511
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
count me in for one of Buff's Jenny.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #1512
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Sorry I should have been more clear - for a short run, Buff will print you as few as you like (I imagine they would even do just one?), but the cost goes down the more you have - typically small groups like stag parties or clubs can get say 10-15 printed...

The 200+ run is for the proper impregnated (woven) material, rather than a screen-printed type, if you see what I mean? And more suited to a commercial enterprise.

Hmmmm... 200 buffs at £20 each... that's gonna pay for a lot of tyres!

Jx
half the reason I gave to your rally fund was to get a buff as I refuse to pay the asking price at my local dealer. works great under my Leatt
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #1513
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Hee hee - thanks for posting that Norway, I did wonder where the little fella had got to...

Glad you like the Buff Skibum - they realy are the best of that sort of headgear... and certainly if I can get a campaign together for 2012, then I shall be producing my own design for the merchandise collection... x

Right, because the video of the rebuild doesn't seem to translate from Photobucket, here are a few stills - if you scroll down really quickly it might give a similar stop-motion effect x

Unpacked:

Gave myself a hernia lifting the engine in!

Starting to take shape:

Had to take shock back off again to fit carb - duh!

Tank and exhaust:

Almost rideable:

Bodywork:

Running again!

For sale, £6000 x

Jx
Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #1514
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Right, better get to work on this one now:

Jx
Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #1515
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,146
The buff worked really nicely under my Leatt in Nevada a few weeks ago, didn't help my spine in a bad g-out though
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote