Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #1591
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
That's a trophy wall to be proud of, Jen!

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #1592
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Thanks everyone...

I commiserated by mounting a few moose-heads on the garage wall this evening...

bikes I have killed (or nearly killed me!):

Best get out on that mountain-bike again tomorrow... hey ho...

Jx
Love it!
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #1593
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,452
Maybe something cheaper and closer for 2012 ?

That rally in Mongolia looks affordable and fun....get to experience a different part of the world and boost your confidence with a womens 1st place trophy....or maybe smoke the entire field and....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #1594
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'd also say there are alternative rallies, and seeing JMo & the little fella gunning it there with a graphically enhanced trip report would be highly applauded. From my amateur spectator viewpoint just as spectacular and adventurous. Nice training anyhow, I'd reckon.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #1595
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,334
for today, just get back on that bicycle J-Mo. We'll worry about the rest tomorrow.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #1596
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Maybe something cheaper and closer for 2012 ?

That rally in Mongolia looks affordable and fun....get to experience a different part of the world and boost your confidence with a womens 1st place trophy....or maybe smoke the entire field and....
two thumbs up!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #1597
Hillbilly501
Ultra n00b

Oddometer: 160
So you won't be going to race the Dakar in 2012, (I'm very disappointed for you about that, we were looking forward to following you) but that might not actually be that bad a thing really. Come 2013 your leg will be much stronger, and your motivation will be through the roof.

With that in mind, you won't be racing Dakar next year, but is there anything to stop you from going along as a support crew for someone? Good chance to get more experience there, make some contacts, possibly drum up some sponsors, still be a part of the whole thing?

And yes, hit up the mountain bike. Bikes are good
Hillbilly501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #1598
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
bugger..... sorry to hear that jenny...

still, as others has said, it means you can prepare properly for 2013...

thumbs up for 2013...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #1599
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 91
Question Make Lemonade!

Hey Jenny,

I stopped by this post to see how you were doing (after all, you are the only Dakar rider I've met in person). Sorry to hear about the 2012 effort being eliminated, but I must agree with the others who mentioned that this could be a good thing for a 2013 effort. With healing injuries, physical conditioning, sponsorship arrangement, product line development, webpage development, at least one motorcycle build, keeping up with this excellent post, not to mention secular and home front duties. An extra 12 months of prep time is not all that bad is it? How do you manage and track it all? In my secular life I worked with project management software and detailed multi-tiered to do list. I now use that same type of software to track and manage my larger task and even motorcycle builds. It may sound a bit "Nerdy" but it works very well. Software developers call it "Procedural Abstraction". A way to take a task that is so multi-faceted that it is hard to comprehend and break it down into small task that are executed easily and in the correct order. A side benefit is that you can see bits of accomplishment on a daily basis. You probably have a system in place, but I was just curious. Don't get discouraged, take it as an opportunity and make the best of it. BTW - keep us posted on the day to day stuff as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #1600
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
Hi there GoThere!

Thanks for checking in and keeping the thread bubbling under... and the words of encouragement and support of course!

Yes, it is a bummer about 2012, for a number of reasons - mainly financial and keeping current sponsorship deals alive, but like you say, the flip-side is a lot more [welcome] time to put a more comprehensive campaign together for 2013... and of course concentrate on as close to 100% fitness as I can get, and hopefully get this damn metal work removed etc etc etc.

This year was going to be particularly important for a number of reasons that I won't go into detail right now - I wanted to do some fundraising and awareness/media stuff for a charity particularly close to my heart, and even closer to my sister's [literally] - but I have set the wheels in motion in that respect, and will make it a key element of my 2013 campaign instead.

I am also aware just how quickly this year has disappeared - hell it is almost time for me to pop a flight back to the USA and indulge in my annual spot of tiddler trail-riding in Moab!

I will thn spend the rest of the autumn and winter completely rebuilding the race bike, getting some riding in, and fitness training of course... then the plan is post Dakar 2012, to announce my campaign, and get my bloody entry in on the 1st of May this time!

So for now, I'm eagerly watching the progress of those who have made the cut this year, particularly Neduro (must sort out some support for his swag campaign), and me ol' chum Si Pavey of course! For sure it's going to be exciting to see the names popping up over the next few months as the shipping date draws closer...

Of course I'd love to attend the Dakar in a support capacity this year if anyone needs me (I'll pay my flight if you pay my entry x), and hell, if anyone needs a tasty navigator for their car or buggy... I'm pretty handy in that regard too!

For now though, house decorating calls!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #1601
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
First time poster here but I have followed this thread and you are one of the riders I follow and root for during the race.

Given that you have some time and the desire to generate some money, I wondered if you have thought about reaching that goal through speaking engagements, similar to what Lois Pryce has done. Your writing is entertaining and informative so I have to assume that would carry over to in person. Just a thought.

Anyway, the best of luck to you on both endeavors!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #1602
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
What a book!

Heya Jenny!

Well what can I say... boredom at work [break in operations] left me trawling the internet ... attempting to satisfy my thirst for anything motorbike or desert related...

Aside from accidentally picking up a second fully built Rally BIke [ex HT Honda...for a very meagre sum...think along the lines of how much a single new engine would cost!! [yes you read that right!] damned eBay comfort shopping!! I thought to myself... I cant keep finding bargains on eBay and thinking i need to have that!

So in a vain attempt to not spend money like water...I just sat for the last 3 shifts and read every single post in succession... my brain is fried, but some pretty bloody good ideas did drift through the smoky stuff and enter my thick skull along the way Just a shame that it wasn't the fairytale ending you and everyone here had hoped for..

Cracking read and all the lessons learned / experiences along the way were really good food for the mind.

I'm a riding partner of Toby and Jago [This year's debutants for Patsy and Desert Rose!], who I'm sure have hunted you down for info on the Yamaha and JVO kits.. Been riding with them since I started as a green nooby with Patsy in May of last year.. since then, it's been balls to the wall with the biking and have been on practically everything i can, when not on my trips offshore, in West Africa..

Needless to say, over the last few months, rumblings amongst the DRR crowd have been angled towards discussions of do you think you will? when? you have someone to ride with? ... I'm sure you know what's coming next.. as the inevitable aura of indestructability and swagger from being totally hooked on the desert, rolls out in front of me.. [the last year living and riding in Johannesburg helped!]

I have pretty much locked myself into countdown..something like 16 months now is it?! Applications in May you say?! Best get a move on then! Not sure what your plans are, but I'm going to be heading out to Morocco with Patsy, once I get back form sunny Liberia sometime in September.. Plan is 1 week of touring with a crowd of her customers, then a week of race training [I think Jago and Toby could well be there... here's hoping it's a shakedown ride on their spanky new bikes!] then Ill be staying on to have a bash at the Merzouga Rally as it ties in quite nicely...

If you are planning to come along..would be good to have a chat and a bullshit, as im sure there will be plenty of tales coming from all around the campfire! Otherwise... if you need someone for training adventures in the next year or so, dont be shy about dropping me a line.. i usually work 1 month on and then month off.. and the off time is dedicated to 2 wheels! Im sure if you speak with Patsy she'll be frank and honest!

Ive just started a small thread with all the rallies and multi day events ive been able to find..and have been stunned at some of the ones that have appeared.. Eastern Europe seems to be knocking out a selection of roadbook events for under 500 of your English Sterlings...!! My plan for the next year or so, is to head for a couple of the FIM events and pad them out with some of these small, but very economical events along the way.. I have my own racetruck [another eBay bargain!] so if you do have the time / interest, youll be more than welcome to come along and race with me! To be honest, it would be great to have some company on them long drives and rallies that others might not be attending...

Well Ill sign off from there, but like i say if you are interested... PM's the word

Take it easy and hope the mend is going well
Ben
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #1603
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
First time poster here but I have followed this thread and you are one of the riders I follow and root for during the race.

Given that you have some time and the desire to generate some money, I wondered if you have thought about reaching that goal through speaking engagements, similar to what Lois Pryce has done. Your writing is entertaining and informative so I have to assume that would carry over to in person. Just a thought.

Anyway, the best of luck to you on both endeavors!
Thank you for your kind words (that goes for everyone who's posted recently too!)...

I have been asked by a number of groups to do a talk/presentation on my 2011 Dakar campaign, and it is certainly something I will utilize as part of my 2013 campaign... I'm never going to get rich doing that, but it will certainly help, and more importantly, you never know who is going to be in the audience of course...

I really do appreciate all the support this thread on ADV has created, and really do hope you'll all be along for the new campaign once it is up and running in the new year...

My intention is to spend the next few months getting the bike refurbished and ready to race again, and not least try and lose some of the inevitable pounds I will gain these next couple of weeks in the USA (trying really hard not to break anything again!)... then, lets all take a couple of weeks off in January and cheer on this year's fools eh?, and post Dakar 2012 and the run up to entries for 2013, I'll be launching the new website, new campaign and all the associated hoohah I can!

Watch this space, as they say...

Toot toot!

Jenny x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #1604
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,864
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
... these next couple of weeks in the USA (trying really hard not to break anything again!)...

Watch this space, as they say...

Toot toot!

Jenny x
And are "these next couple of weeks" literally these next couple of weeks?

I've been hoping that someday I might find myself, and a bike or two, of course, in the same locale as you
so I could say "HOWDY" properly. But if it's really the next couple and if your earlier mention of Moab is related,
, as I'm totally committed in Tejas.

But should you find yourself down in Big Bend (Study Butte/Terlingua), oh, 'round 23-26 September, you'd likely
find a 640 Adv waiting for you. The 'Berg FE400 would have been a perfect loaner but Big Bird, alas, remains
in the STOLEN column.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #1605
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 91
Talking Nothing broken...

[QUOTE=JMo (& piglet);16800490]Thank you for your kind words (that goes for everyone who's posted recently too!)...

next couple of weeks in the USA (trying really hard not to break anything again!)...

As I recall, you have a certain affinity for large rocks in Moab .. No repeats OK? Keep all the bones intact so we can follow a 100% effort in 2013! Post some photos of the fun in Moab if you get the chance.