catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #152
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by spick
Watching this thread as well.

Jenny, what are the chances of picking up tanks such as the ones you had fabbed for water and fuel? They look great and fit really well with the bike build. Not that I need them any time soon but you never know...

Good luck and fast healing!
Thanks Spick!

If you mean one of these tasty tanks (any excuse for a photo eh?):

Then if you contact the guys at GMX Radiators:

http://www.gmxradiators.co.uk/

I'm sure they can help you. They are happy to do one-offs (on the understanding it fits in around their regular work), but the cost is correspondingly higher of course... I would say though that their quality and craftsmanship is top notch - whether you want a bespoke tank or rad, or just a simple radiator repair.

In fact, since I'm singing the praises of my 'sponsors', then it is probably a good time to run through a few other mods I've made to the bike...

First up, I've finally landed a steering damper for the WR... those of you who followed the build and my efforts in the FIM round in Tunisia earlier this year: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568696 will know that due to the last minute preparation of the bike, I went to Tunisia without a damper fitted at all! Actually, it wasn't terrible riding without one (such is the inherent stability of the WR I suspect - either that or my inability to go particularly fast...) but it would have been far less fatiguing both physically and mentally to have one fitted - there were certainly a few OMG moments on the faster rockier sections!

So, having been a fan of GPR dampers on both my XR650R and Tenere rally bikes, I contacted the UK importer: http://www.trackparts.co.uk/ who were able to help me out with a V4 underbar kit for the WR:

The kit includes a new bar-clamp riser block (that mount the bars approx 15mm higher than the stock risers), which is also braced (and machined from natty billet aluminium)... and bolts directly to the stock top triple clamp (note. for the Marathon Class in Dakar, you have to retain the stock triple clamps).

Of course typically the GPS Duo bracket that holds the organisation's Iritrack and GPS unit in place, has bolt holes drilled for the KTM bar-clamp dimensions (that is 90mm bolt centres, rather than the Yamaha 100mm bolt centres), so I had to attack the base of the bracket with a succession of drills (boy that stainless steel is hard stuff, I killed 2 and a half drill bits with it!), so that it fitted low profile and without any unnecessary brackets etc.

note. it really isn't that big, its just a wide angle camera lens x

So with the revised wiring almost complete (still debating on whether to fit an HID to the space above the stock headlight, as that will mean upgrading the stator and battery too), the bike really is starting to take shape again - and not a moment too soon as in two weeks, it'll be on it's way!

I also picked up my recovered seat last week:

Which, as a matter of good taste, I decided to get recovered in subtile, classic, black (well, charcoal) suede this time, rather than the fancy embroidered beige Alcantara I got my Tenere seat covered in (see the Heroes-Legend thread! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512589 for that little beauty!)...

Marcus at Paint & Trim in North Wales: http://www.paint-and-trim.com/north_wales.htm did a cracking job in double quick time, including adding an inch of softer foam in the middle and rear of the seat (for extra comfort on those long liaisons!) - goodness knows the stock seat is purgatory! Certainly the new seat is far softer, although perhaps a little too soft (in that it compresses very easily with your weight on it) so will be interesting to see how it rides now - especially after a hundred miles or so - it may be that slightly firmer foam is required after all...

Finally, as part of the general fiddling around I've stuck some (foil) tape over the open ends of the roadbook holder - to stop dust and sand getting in and potentially jamming up the works, even though I didn't have a problem during two sandstorms and countless crashed in Tunisia (and Heroes' last year), it's a wise precaution - thanks for the tip Cummo!

So that's about it for now...

My foot still hurts, but at least I'm able to walk around quite freely now - I really need to get on my bicycle and get some proper exercise through it... but that is going to have to wait a little longer... there is the small matter of another bike to run-in, strip down, and pack up...

And it won't stop raining!

J x

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 09:14 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #153
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Looking good there, Jenny!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #154
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon
Forgive me for not reviewing all the previous posts to see if the info is already posted, but is there a website to follow you? Even if it's just a racing page for you on Facebook?
Hi Pendragon!

I did intend to get a website up and running, but what with the ongoing delays in getting my 'supporters pack' (a kind of Jenny riff raff thing) together, it's not happened yet...

However, as soon as I get the go on all the gear and T-shirts printed etc., then I hope to have a link through the Desert Rose Racing website so you can buy on line, and hopefully [if they let me have access!] I'll be able to update you all through there in a blog stylee, both before and during the rally itself...

And yes, I must be the only person left in the world who doesn't have a facebook page!

These things may come, but right now I really have got to concentrate on getting the bike together, and getting fit enough to ride!

J x
Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #155
spick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great looking build. That middle tank really sets it off.

I'm finally getting around to fitting a Scotts damper to my WR as well. I've suffered quite a few nasty knocks at speed so I'm eager to see what it will do for me once installed. I'm still running a stock seat and know exactly what you mean on long trips. Ouch.

I did install the X2 HID from Trail-Tech along with their stator upgrade kit. The stator kit was a really easy install and the HID kicks out a LOT of light. Well worth it IMO.

I'll be keeping my eye out for your support kit as well. Good luck. We'll be cheering you on!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #156
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,940
hijack-hey Steve did I send you Patrick's itinerary for Morocco in December?

You'll love your damper too, I noticed it in the first 100 yards on the 640

hijack over.

The bike looks great Jenny, I really like the baby Safari tank on the back, I'll keep that in mind for my next build.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #157
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
The bike looks great Jenny, I really like the baby Safari tank on the back, I'll keep that in mind for my next build.
Yes, I was in two minds about it - not at first of course, as I felt it would be essential for Tunisia, especially without a fuel pump fitted for the front tanks (now rectified)...

However, by day 3 in Tunisia, I realized I didn't need it (and ran it empty after that) - mainly due to there being refuels for the bikes every 160kms, as they were running the Enduro Cup class alongside...

Since the fuel stops were neutralized, there was no real benefit it brimming the tanks at the start of each day, even if you had the tank capacity - although I guess it would mean you could enjoy your sarnies at a less frantic pace?! Therefore most people opted to run their bikes a little lighter, with just enough fuel for the distance between refuels, particularly on the dune days.

But the Dakar days are going to be different of course - a lot longer liaisons, and up to 250kms between special stage refuels, so while the new centre tank still gives me 25L in total up front, I thought it would be a good idea to refit it, and have the extra 5L on the rear too - even if I only fill it on the longer days...

In fact I've just ordered a second fuel tap so I can isolate the rear (or centre) auxiliary tank as required...

J x
Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #158
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,940
Sounds like solid planning, Mongolia had a few 275km sections where Mike & I were seriously concerned about fuel range. Getting lost anywhere would add more too. I made it a habit to find fuel whenever I could on the long ones, Mike crossed his fingers and ran out of gas once
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #159
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Hey Mike, does this mean you thinking of doing up at WR450 as a rally bike then??
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #160
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
So with the revised wiring almost complete (still debating on whether to fit an HID to the space above the stock headlight, as that will mean upgrading the stator and battery too), the bike really is starting to take shape again - and not a moment too soon as in two weeks, it'll be on it's way!
Jen, I had a major drama class with my HID light. Even with a rewound stator, the "rally" battery was pooped after about 3 hours when that bloody light was on. it also interfered with the power of the bike and even starting it; how I dont know. Anyway, I would suggest you stick to a nice halogen.

If you go the HID route, just make sure that the stator is actually charging the bike. I would go for a technical ride of 5-7 hours at least to make sure. If it wasnt for this bloody problem on mine I think I could have been a couple of hours faster, and one off less at least!

Im interested to see what you decide.

BTW have you any plans to have someone on the support team phone in and update us or maybe update the thread on some of the low down stuff while on the rally? I know you plan to phone in regularly, but you know how it goes.

Dont forget we will be shouting from the sidelines.

Cheers and ride safe.

Neil
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #161
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Sounds like solid planning, Mongolia had a few 275km sections where Mike & I were seriously concerned about fuel range. Getting lost anywhere would add more too. I made it a habit to find fuel whenever I could on the long ones, Mike crossed his fingers and ran out of gas once
Yes - that's what I'm afraid of! Having spoken to Tamsin Jones (UK finisher last year), she only had 25 litres on board her WR450, and did run out a couple of times, and got very close on a number of other occasions too...

My plan is to test the bike with full tanks, to know exactly the capacity and range of each (erm, where am I going to get all this time from?!), but even then, in racing conditions, particularly in sand, you can end up using significantly more... never mind getting lost as you say!

J x
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #162
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
... let's hope all that works, as the prospect of pushing a stuck bike through sand dunes with my foot in this shape does not bare thinking about!

J x
You mean you havent mastered the rear wheel spin around technique?
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #163
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Jen, I had a major drama class with my HID light. Even with a rewound stator, the "rally" battery was pooped after about 3 hours when that bloody light was on. it also interfered with the power of the bike and even starting it; how I dont know. Anyway, I would suggest you stick to a nice halogen.

If you go the HID route, just make sure that the stator is actually charging the bike. I would go for a technical ride of 5-7 hours at least to make sure. If it wasnt for this bloody problem on mine I think I could have been a couple of hours faster, and one off less at least!

Im interested to see what you decide.

BTW have you any plans to have someone on the support team phone in and update us or maybe update the thread on some of the low down stuff while on the rally? I know you plan to phone in regularly, but you know how it goes.

Dont forget we will be shouting from the sidelines.

Cheers and ride safe.

Neil
Hi Neil - yes, you're experience in Brazil are the main reason I've been delaying the decision this long... the last thing I want is complications at this late stage.

My bike was fine in Tunisia with the stock stator and battery (no HID of course), and other than one day when I killed the battery with repeated starts in the dunes (my clumsiness), it was fine...

The 'Euro' dual-beam headlight that the JVO kits uses is better than the enduro light, the only problem is it pointed at the floor 3 feet in front of my bike! I'm going to try and reposition it to give a better spread...

The problem with Dakar is not so much having trouble and finishing a stage in the dark, rather the very early mornings and a long liaison - in the dark...

My other option is to fit a Vision X LED lamp - these only draw 10W, and offer 900 lumens (purportedly)... it would be the simplest way to get some additional light?

J x

ps. I'll do my best to make a few phone-ins [to rally raidio] from the bivouac, and perhaps see if I can enlist someone to update the thread with photos etc. Hell, I might even treat myself to an iphone (are you listening Apple?!) and do it from the field!

I know that Bivouac security is meant to be tighter this year, and with serious penalties for any team caught utilizing outside help and/or smuggling anyone in... however, their might well be the opportunity to meet up with anyone who is following the rally from the other side of the fence, for a quick interview, and they can also update this (and the main Dakar) thread?

Should anyone be interested in following the Dakar as a roving spectator this January, I know Tamsin and her Sponsor are hiring a 4x4 to follow alongside the rally, and they have a couple of spare seats available - it's going to cost around €2500 per person... PM if anyone is interested and I'll pass the details on...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #164
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
You mean you havent mastered the rear wheel spin around technique?
heh heh!

I must say, having witnessed Cummo doing this a couple of times now (thank you!), it is both brutal and beautiful at the same time - I wish I'd had a camera to catch it - it's like a whirlwind of sand and the bike pops out and back down the slope...

Well, that's the theory - I'm sure if I tried it I'd break the other bloody foot!

J x
Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #165
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
JMo,

heres wishing you great luck on your newest adventure. we'll all be cheering (enviously) from our compooters !!!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote