Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #1651
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Jen, some of the guys on GSERs have linked to your Ebay auction and I just got you a thread bump.

Good luck with the sale. If I only had the wedge, I'd be heading over for that beast this weekend
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #1652
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,788
You don't plan on keeping the WR450F as spare parts for the Dakar? I would think that would save you money in the long run. Or do you have other bike plans for 2013?

I can't help but wonder how I could handle the logistics of importing that Tenere to the US. That is a sweet bike.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #1653
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
You don't plan on keeping the WR450F as spare parts for the Dakar? I would think that would save you money in the long run. Or do you have other bike plans for 2013?

I can't help but wonder how I could handle the logistics of importing that Tenere to the US. That is a sweet bike.
Hi DRC -

I would love to keep the WR as spares, and more importantly to rebuild into a new rally bike after Dakar which was my original intention... however, it's a catch 22 - I need to sell the WR to get to Dakar - no point in having a load of new spares if I can't actually make the start line in the first place?!

Yes it is a gamble, but to be honest, the WR is a very reliable bike (a good number of Marathon class finishers have been on a WR), and I'm not intending to go balls-out - just take it steady and actually get a finish this time!

I think with a selection of service spares (many of which I already have - such as bearings, cables, clutch plates, coil, filters, pads etc.) I ought to be ok... it has always been my intention to race Marathon anyway so will not be looking to change an engine on rest day as it is...

Those service parts are all likely to be used after the rally anyway to 'freshen up' the bike if it is still in a state to be raced anyway.

As for the Tenere - there are ways, there are always ways... I understand New Hampshire* is a good place to get foreign vehicles 'inspected' for a US Title... ahem.

Edit: * Bloody hell - I see you are in New Hampshire!!!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #1654
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Jumping on this thread after looking at your ebay posting...whats the rumour about this year being the last Heroes Legend? Doing that next year was on my plan
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #1655
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBlue View Post
Jumping on this thread after looking at your ebay posting...whats the rumour about this year being the last Heroes Legend? Doing that next year was on my plan
Well, I've heard that from a couple of places... although it might just have been a ruse to get the entry numbers up this year of course!

I think it's a sign of the [financial] times? Heroes-Legend is still just affordable for privateers to enter, but a lot of people are cutting back on expenditure like that, and the bottom line is the organisation need a certain number of entries to cover their costs - the medical helicopter alone costs thousands to run for the duration of the rally. There are also a lot of people involved in the organisation - all of which need to allocate time and effort towards the event - so unless the entries are looking healthy early on, they cannot afford to run the event for just a handful of competitors - goodness knows how the Africa 'Eco' Race keeps going every year?!

However, this year (2012) Heroes-Legend will feature a full-on race class as well as the regulation-rally classes, so it might renew interest in those who have done the event before, or those who feel the 'Dakar' should still go to Dakar, and want to race!

Of course you could just buy the Tenere, call up Patsy and book in for this year?!

Jx
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #1656
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,599
Good luck, teamF5 will be cheering you on

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #1657
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Good luck, teamF5 will be cheering you on
Thanks Deadly!

Once I get my entry fee together, I'll be starting a new dedicated thread regarding my 2013 campaign - and hopefully have another heap of tasty merchandise available though the revamped www.jennydakar.com website once I get the sponsors on board...

Toot toot!

Jx
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #1658
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
. . . so it's full speed ahead now to get my funds together in time for the Dakar entry in May this year...
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Jenny, hold up a minute!

Don't you remember last time you were almost consumed by Sarlacc?!

Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #1659
Karl772
Rally Nut

Oddometer: 26
Good luck JMo i hope you raise the funds for Dakar 2013, I will keep a close eye on this thread, as i did two years ago in your lead up to the 2011 Dakar
Always good to see a fellow WR rider trying to get to Dakar
Karl772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #1660
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:

Edit: * Bloody hell - I see you are in New Hampshire!!!

Jx
Yes I am, if you are ever in the area let me know!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #1661
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Of course you could just buy the Tenere, call up Patsy and book in for this year?!

Jx
As much as I would REALLY love to do this, circumstances don't allow it alas.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #1662
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBlue View Post
Sadly Dorset, I have also heard this is the last
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #1663
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardood View Post
Sadly Dorset, I have also heard this is the last
Man.....that's on my bucket list......
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #1664
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Man.....that's on my bucket list......
Hoping like Jen said its a rumour to drum up some more sign-up's.

They had it tough last year because 38 of the 78 teams that signed up pulled out with the "trouble" in North Africa so the rally was cancelled (as I'm sure you know). They (the organisation) have done a lot this year to re-assure people it is safe - they recently did a trip to Mauritania and have been given assurances etc.

As stated above, it must be an arm and a leg to run it so if there aren't enough people signed up.......

It will be desperately sad if its coming to an end, at least its one of the last (is it THE last only one?) that actually goes to Dakar, doesn't the Intercontinental go to Dakar?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #1665
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

OK... just a quick 2013 update... (btw. this thread has had over 240,000 views now - mega! - maybe I'll call time when it hits 250,000 xx)

This last week I sold the 'spare' WR450, and have taken a deposit on the Tenere - the new owner will be collecting it next month on his return from Afghanistan...

Both bikes have gone to a great home, but more importantly, I now essentially have my entry fee for Dakar 2013 covered - so it is all systems go, come mid-May when the entries traditionally open.

In the meantime, along with a complete rebuild of the race bike (new thread to start soon, I promise!), I am working on the revamp of the www.jennydakar.com website (the link is to the current version - plenty to see in the gallery section if you've not already visited), and once I have secured some merchandise from sponsors, the new web-shop will be up and running with hopefully a wider range of team gear, together with the 2013 campaign supporter's swag-packs!

It's going to be an uphill struggle mind you, as this year I don't have the buffer of any personal savings - so if anyone can (or knows anyone who can) help out with stuff like service consumables/tyres/airmiles and stuff like that I would be eternally grateful - please do get in touch through a PM here or via email on the website...

Lima here we come Piglet - yea!

Jenny xx