Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #196
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHomme
For deep sand, what if you put your side stand IN your helmet and then turn using your technique. I know it is far fetched but when you are tired... and you save your foot!
What do you think?
I'm presuming you're joking?! - as that would be a surefire way to fu*k your helmet!

The side-stand technique is for turning round on hard/er ground (in reply to the video above) - the technique in the sand that Cummo showed is primarily for getting the bike unstuck, a byproduct of which is the bike is typically now facing the other way, which on a dune especially is what you want, so you can ride back down and have another go...

Metropolis' idea of having a a puck (either a plastic one or thin plywood, which is a little more durable) either in the cargo pocket of your riding pants or a jacket pocket is certainly not a bad idea - I always carry one trail riding, and racing too... if only so you can stop in the sand for a pee...

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #197
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)

The side-stand technique is for turning round on hard/er ground (in reply to the video above)
And very useful it is if you, say, ride something the size of a Tenere down a bit of single track you really didn't mean to go down. Ask me how I know
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #198
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper
And very useful it is if you, say, ride something the size of a Tenere down a bit of single track you really didn't mean to go down. Ask me how I know
Heh heh... I know that feeling...

Jx
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #199
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,188
looks like california granite to me...ahhhhh home..

hows the rehab??
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #200
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
looks like california granite to me...ahhhhh home..

hows the rehab??
Aye, that's the other side of the river to where I broke my foot this year!

It's going ok - I can walk around with a limp now, and due for an x-ray next Monday... the problem is not so much the fracture itself (and never really was), more all the torn ligaments in my ankle, which are taking a long/er time to heal and get full strength back... I have pretty much full mobility in my ankle now, it's just they ache the whole time that I walk - I guess I just need to build some strength back up in them...

J x
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #201
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Heh heh... I know that feeling...

(snip pic)

Jx
Naturally mine have all been under somewhat more mundane circumstances than battling the Rubicon . Although one of them did result in a kinda similar photo - http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7573999_n.jpg

Glad to hear the foot's on the mend, albeit (no doubt frustratingly) slowly.
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #202
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
I'm presuming you're joking?! - as that would be a surefire way to fu*k your helmet!

J x
Now I know it's a bad idea but I had to ask to know
Thanks
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #203
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,958
that shot looks sooo much like half the stuff we have around here only more dirt

go easy getting your ligaments back in shape, that's the worst part for sure, don't bother to ask me how I know
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #204
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
I think you guys need to go ride in sand more.
+1
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #205
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
+1
oh you think that's funny do you? Just because you live by the Atacama doesn't mean we all do

ps, I haven't forgotten your offer and one day we'll be on your doorstep
Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #206
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Just a quick update to get this thread back on track (ahem)...

At what is very nearly the eleventh hour, fortunately some of my sponsors have come good, and various boxes have been arriving this week...

I'm heading into the workshop tomorrow and I ain't comin' out until I have an uprated stator fitted (thank you Trail-Tech UK), and a Hella Xenon DE projector-light working (thank you Touratech UK), oh and a new fender tail-pack and fork boots (thank you Kriega), and also hooked up my various rear fuel line connections (thank you ebay), and not least, finally applied some funky graphics over which I have been debating for weeks! (nothing like getting my priorities right eh?)

So, the bike should be very close to finished by the weekend... then it's time for testing!

I should also have some news any day now regarding the 'supporters packs' - I've already got confirmation from a couple of product suppliers, just waiting on the others, then I can finalize the T-shirt design.

The plan will be to sell the packs through the Desert Rose Racing website (yeah yeah, I know, the news pages need some serious updating - that's one of the jobs I intend to take on, once Patsy is back from Spain next week), in a similar fashion to Jonah's Riff Raff... That way you can use Paypal or Visa with a 'buy-it-now' button, and since all the money raised from your support will be going towards my assistance costs with Desert Rose anyway, that should all work out rather nicely I hope!

Pics and more info to follow shortly!

Toot toot!

J x
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #207
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:

At what is very nearly the eleventh hour, fortunately some of my sponsors have come good, and various boxes have been arriving this week...

I'm heading into the workshop tomorrow and I ain't comin' out until I have an uprated stator fitted (thank you Trail-Tech UK), and a Hella Xenon DE projector-light working (thank you Touratech UK), oh and a new fender tail-pack and fork boots (thank you Kriega), and also hooked up my various rear fuel line connections (thank you ebay), and not least, finally applied some funky graphics over which I have been debating for weeks! (nothing like getting my priorities right eh?)

So, the bike should be very close to finished by the weekend... then it's time for testing!

I should also have some news any day now regarding the 'supporters packs' - I've already got confirmation from a couple of product suppliers, just waiting on the others, then I can finalize the T-shirt design.

The plan will be to sell the packs through the Desert Rose Racing website (yeah yeah, I know, the news pages need some serious updating - that's one of the jobs I intend to take on, once Patsy is back from Spain next week), in a similar fashion to Jonah's Riff Raff... That way you can use Paypal or Visa with a 'buy-it-now' button, and since all the money raised from your support will be going towards my assistance costs with Desert Rose anyway, that should all work out rather nicely I hope!

Toot toot!

J x

Ok sorry for the hijack (again), I'll make it up to you when you come over here to ride the nav rally we're in the process of organizing, more importantly we look forward to seeing all of that progress come to fruition by Monday
Seriously though, good luck getting the bike ready to roll as soon as you can
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #208
metropolis2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
I think you guys need to go ride in sand more.
I think you need to come to England and see how much sand we have to play in
metropolis2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #209
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis2k
I think you need to come to England and see how much sand we have to play in
Weston Beach Races.

Say no more...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #210
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
Jenny,

As soon as you have a way to do it. I'm in.

Give 'em hell.

Quote:

Toot toot!

J x