Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #241
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
There is a quote (I think it might be someone's signature on here actually) I really like:

"All tools are hammers... except screwdrivers, they're chisels..."

J x
Jenny, isn't there a quote something like "If a hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem." Since a hammer worked, it's not an electrical problem.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #242
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 564
Good Luck Jenny, Hope it all holds together for you.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #243
spick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just getting in from a 2 hour ride after dark. The first hour was pretty slow going. A lot of rock crawling and idlin down over some long soft rocky washout. We took a short break to cool down. When I started the bike again the starter was quite slow. I'm guessing my battery had drained where I wasn't on the gas for most of the first hour with both lights blazing. The 2nd hour was a lot faster and my battery charged up again with no issues turning it over quickly.

Now I'm running the stock battery which is now 4 years old. So your performance may be a bit better wih a newer battery.

Beautiful night here for riding. Cool but not cold and you have the trails to yourself after dark. :)

spick screwed with this post 11-17-2010 at 06:15 PM
spick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #244
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,017
hey Steve where were you? PM me.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #245
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Hi Spick - thank for the update!

I took the rally bike out for a good run on Tuesday, with all lights and the fan going (but admittedly at higher speed/revs) and when i got back, immediately checked the battery which was still showing 12.8V with the engine off, and fired back up with a stroke of the button.

I think the Trail Tech stator does what they said it would do, and like you say, with a fresher battery, I'm confident there won't be a problem...

Regarding what Neil said about his bike being down on power with everything running with his rewound stator, it wasn't really (if at all) noticeable when I was out testing with the Trail Tech set-up - still plenty of power from the engine...

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #246
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Right, quick update - I now have just three days to get everything together before I head down to Desert Rose Racing (my assistance team), fit a new set of tyres, and the bike heads to Le Havre for scrutineering and then shipping to Buenos Aires...

Then the next time I see it will be two days before the start!

Finally my Meca'system brackets have arrived to mount my new fender:

Those of you with eagle eyes will notice it is very similar to a KTM adventure fender, ahem, and is indeed the same set-up I have on my Rally Tenere. The JVO kit comes with a very nice carbon fibre lower fender (pretty much like all the bikes use if running a low fender), however, I wasn't that impressed with it's mountings and the vibration I got, or indeed the tyre clearance...

The way and height Meca'system mount the KTM fender (which has additional bracing behind the forks as well of course) I prefer. I also think the black fender will look great with the new colour scheme of the bike...

Having fitted the fender mounts, it also meant I could fab up my 'definitive' IMO sensor mount, which I'm really pleased with, and have been able to finish off the wiring and wrapping:

Yep, there is a lot of gear on that Nav tower now!

I have also had an 11th hour brainwave regarding the aerial mounts - there was no real space above the instruments now the Speedocap is fitted - details to follow once I've been in the shed a little longer.

There is also the need to stick a few more miles on the spare bike, before I absolutely have to strip it down this afternoon/evening, get the valves checked, and start packing everything away. Fortunately the weather isn't looking too shocking today, so I'm wrapping up warm and heading off out right now!

I don't see a lot of sleep happening in the next few days...

J x
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #247
EisenWill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Cheers Jenny! Best of luck down south!! The bike looks really good
EisenWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #248
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Thanks guys!

Just had some more good news - Buff have just come onboard as a sponsor too, so you cats are gonna get a fancy neck scarf in your supporters packs too!

More info to follow shortly, but basically there will be a 'Dakar 2011' portal set up on the Desert Rose Racing website in the next week or so, and the supporters packs will be available to buy through there... They will be strictly limited edition (I wish I could have got more), and you guys will be the first to know once the 'buy-it-now' button goes live!

I've just got to finalize a few more details, but I'm hoping to have even more cool stuff for you along with the Dirty Dog sunnies, Kriega Stash wallet (which also works as an excellent compact tool roll), Alpinestars cap, and Buff neck scarf, already confirmed!

Keep watching!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 09:09 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #249
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,003
Ready and waiting.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #250
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfez
Ready and waiting.
+1

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #251
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Nice to see it coming together, Jenny.

You have a whole spare bike???
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #252
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Nice to see it coming together, Jenny.

You have a whole spare bike???
Erm, yeah... it sounds like an indulgence I know, but as you will be aware, the difference with Dakar is that you absolutely have to make your start time the next day or you're out - and typically there is no time for your service crew to rebuild (your engine for example) overnight - especially if you've dragged yourself in in the small hours... so it is simpler, and often essential, to swap the damaged part out quickly and get you back on the start line, then they can spend the necessary time while you are competing the following day, repairing [hopefully] whatever went wrong, so you have a spare again?

Buying a complete spare bike means I have one of everything that could ever go wrong - engine, cooling system, brakes, loom, CDi, coil, battery... etc etc. - not to mention wheels, forks and shock should I take them too (as Patsy said, if you've had a bad enough crash to bend your forks, you're probably in no shape to continue anyway!)

Buying all those parts individually would be extremely expensive - for example I bought a spare coilpack for the WR before Tunisia, that was £80 on it's own! - and hopefully, most of those spares you won't even use?

Starting with a complete bike means I can simply rebuild it after the event, and only have to buy those parts I actually used to complete the rebuild?

My intention is to rebuild the brand new bike, and transfer the rally kit to that for next season, then either keep the old [Dakar] bike for trail riding and a spare parts stash, or perhaps sell it on to help finance the next season FIM events... yeah, I still want a pop at Dos Sertoes too you know!

Jx
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #253
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Nice to see everything coming togeather Jenny.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #254
nagykovi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
hi Jenn!

What kind of spare parts are you planning to take with you for the special stages?

Best,

balázs
nagykovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #255
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Hi Balazs -

Good question (not that I don't know the answer, rather other people may be interested too!)...

Regarding spares and tools, basically I intend to carry the minimum that will get you going again, should anything fail or break - as long as I can limp back to the Bivouac each night, then the bike can be sorted properly there where I've got a full set of spares.

I have a small Kriega Cube 1 bag (got to plug the sponsors!) as a tail pack behind my rear tank, which worked very well in Tunisia... and which contains my tool roll (a Kriega Stash wallet, which doubles as a great compact tool and spare bits and bobs bag - and will be yours as part of my supporters packs!) which has various tools, plus fuses and spare IMO wheel magnet and a chain link in.

The tail bag will also have front brake and clutch levers, gear lever and a spare plug and plug spanner. I've also got a spare coil pack (combined ignition coil and plug-cap that the WR uses), as I recall Tony Schattat mentioned Helder Rodrigues had a problem with his in Abu Dhabi this year (I guess they can get really hot and melt?) so I bought one as a precaution before Tunisia.

I also have a small tin with cable repair inner cables, odd nuts, bolts and washers (should anything fall out), plus electrical wire and more fuses.

A tube of Quick Steel, roll of gaff tape and electrical tape, plus a length of 1" webbing strap to use as a tow rope/lashing etc. Oh, and a handful of smaller zie-ties.

I'll also carry a pair of tyre irons (the Motion Pro ones with the wheel nut ring spanners for front and rear axles) and some heavy duty zip-ties lashed to the bike - probably in the slot in the left hand tank which is what I did in Tunisia - they are out the way, but easy access.

I also intend to get a compact chain tool and a pair of jump-leads, which I trust won't be necessary, but you never know.

Got to fly now - last minute prep at Patsy's this morning, and I hope to have some photos of the finished bike for you all later!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx