Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 AM   #256
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I've also got a spare coil pack (combined ignition coil and plug-cap that the WR uses), as I recall Tony Schattat mentioned Helder Rodrigues had a problem with his in Abu Dhabi this year (I guess they can get really hot and melt?) so I bought one as a precaution before Tunisia.
Indeed! You should've seen the look on his face when I pulled the spare coil out of my parts box! He was so grateful to me thereafter
His one didn't actually melt, but it cracked, so when the engine was warm the coil didn't work 100% It's a very delicate piece of equipment!
Also, don't forget to take a regulator/rectifier, some fuses and shift lever with you on the piste!

We're counting on you to bring us some pics back from Le Havre!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #257
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,026
It would be great to see a picture of the tools you plan to put on the bike.

I had my spare levers zip tied to the nav tower, and my med kit zip tied through holes in the front fairing - lots of space in there.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #258
nagykovi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Hi Jenn,

Thank you the answer, I think it could be a page on the big "How to start on the Dakar Rally?" book!

I will see around for an expensive Supporter's Package by Jenny

have a nice shipping for the WR!

Best,

Balázs
nagykovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #259
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
+1
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
I use to smoke, now I vape.
DP: I was thinking, "all these people ...are sleeping now". Nope, you're all still on! When do you sleep?!
PackMule:Third week of January. n00b.

TEAM F5, rank: ⌘R ===> FTW
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #260
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Just read this on the latest news on the Dakar homepage

"This year the route takes the competitors to the extreme northern regions of Argentina and Chile, to the Bolivian and Peru borders, just until the rest day at Arica, before heading back towards Buenos Aires. The design of the route, consisting of 9000kms of roads, tracks and dunes, including nearly 5000 of competition, was done with the idea of saving the more difficult stages for the second half of the event to maintain maximum suspense and create a crescendo of difficulty. The competitors and teams are in for an extreme endurance challenge."

That 2nd bike may not seem so silly now!
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #261
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
They (ASO) mentioned that with the 450 cc rule that they would make the route a bit more technical (if memory serves they mentioned a seperate route for bikes for a few days?).

Best of luck down south 5 weeks till the start, wow time flies eh

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #262
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Jenny, a quick question: what final gearing will you be running?
I spoke to Craig Bounds' mechanic yesterday and he said Craig was running 14/46 which would in theory pull up to 200kph on tarmac. He mentioned his stock WR with the stock gearing of 14/50 would also pull 160kph...

I've got 15/49 on my WR, which is pretty damn close to Craig's gearing, but I seem to only get around 145kph on tarmac! Maybe I need to jet my bike correctly?

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #263
enduronut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
well done jenny, are thoose bikes yours in the dakar or bust thread?

from

South Wales Valleys

ian

Ktm 990 adventure R
Ktm 250f six days exc
Yamaha S10 750 xtz
enduronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #264
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007

I had my spare levers zip tied to the nav tower, and my med kit zip tied through holes in the front fairing - lots of space in there.
Don't worry, Neil - I'll be putting plenty of info like that up over the next few days - it's all been a bit mental these past few days as you might imagine - but the bike is on it's way to Le Havre now... so I can relax until the 28th December now... well, you know what I mean!

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #265
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Jenny, a quick question: what final gearing will you be running?
I spoke to Craig Bounds' mechanic yesterday and he said Craig was running 14/46 which would in theory pull up to 200kph on tarmac. He mentioned his stock WR with the stock gearing of 14/50 would also pull 160kph...

I've got 15/49 on my WR, which is pretty damn close to Craig's gearing, but I seem to only get around 145kph on tarmac! Maybe I need to jet my bike correctly?
Hi Tony - the current WRs come with 14/47 fitted, plus an alternative 13 and 50T sprocket in the box, giving you a load of options, all with the stock chain length...

When I first got on the bike I felt the gearing was too high for technical riding, so changed it to 14/50 which felt far more perky (and was great for wheelies!) at sub 100kmh, but in Tunisia I felt like I was killing it on the liaisons...

For info, I am getting 145kmh max on 14/50 (tried it the other day when testing the bike), which is fine as it gives me a nice low first gear, and still goes faster than the mousses comfortably allow... however, it really feels like you are revving it too hard at sustained high speeds, and on the long Dakar liaisons, it will accelerate wear on the engine and burn too much fuel... so I've changed it to 14/48 which should be a better compromise.

To paraphrase Marc Coma (when asked how he goes so fast, he replied "I twist the throttle further"), if it turns out my first gear isn't low enough, I'll just have to ride faster!

That said, my spare wheels still have a 50T rear, so should there be a shorter and/or more technical day, I can run the lower gearing for that...

J x
Old 11-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #266
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

OK, so this is what has been keeping me awake, and red bull in profit these past few days...

Friday (19th November), and it was time to take the spare bike to pieces...

Those of you from the UK will be familiar with the wry suggestion that Brian May and Anita Dobson are never seen in the same room together?!... well, here is proof that I do (or rather did) have a spare bike:

Ideally I'd have got at least 500 miles on the bike, and checked the valve clearances etc. but the bad weather (and I mean really bad) plus a million and one other things meant I only got around 600kms (350 miles) on it, and no time to check the valves... but hey, it was running fine, and I really don't expect to have to use the spare engine, or indeed any part of it since the rally bike has only done around 3000kms on it's engine anyway... it really is just a precaution.

The strip down only took the morning really, and the bike came apart really easily - it was a joy to work on a spanking new bike with no seized bolts or grunge everywhere:

By dinner time there was not a lot of it left really:

I separated the parts I would need to take, and bagged them up individually (and listed them) - the brakes I left complete as it will be easier to change the whole set up rather than bleed hoses etc should anything get damaged:

I didn't actually bother taking the exhaust after all, but the shock and forks were packed, along with the engine, rads and carb in a separate crate:

It all fitted perfectly!

Saturday 20th November:

Once the spares were catalogued and packed, it was time to put the finishing touches to the bike itself - I fitted a new set of sprockets (14/48) - Renthal front and Supersprox rear, and a DID 520VM X-ring chain. I used the same branded parts on Heroes-Legend last year (8000kms) and didn't need to change any of them during the race itself.

Changed the engine oil and filter (Putoline), and replaced the coolant with some Ice Cool or whatever it's called, again by Putoline (did I tell you Putoline are an 11th hour sponsor too - thank you!). Changing the coolant was a precaution really - the WR never overheated in Tunisia (even when I got stuck in the sand!), but over a much longer distance, together with significantly higher altitude, having a super-coolant is hopefully going to compensate for the harsher conditions...

Then, most importantly, it was time for some stickers!

Inspired by Bluebull's Springbokkie/South African flag theme on his WR in Dos Sertoes this year, I thought I'd go for the Welsh flag on mine...

The proportions of the fairing side panels lend themselves to the two-tone background, and the red dragon makes a change from all those Red Bull's eh?!

It was also important to give my sponsors some space:

Now would be a good time to mention a few of them - my key sponsors are Dirty Dog (sunglasses & goggles) and Buff (neck and head gear), who have provided lots of tasty product that will be included in the supporters packs.

GPR did me a great deal on a V4 steering damper and bar riser kit, and Touratech UK have provided me with a super Hella Micro DE Xenon headlight, plus a spare IMO rally trip computer and associated spare parts (sensor, remote etc). Those of you familiar with the UK operation will know it is headed up by ex-Dakar racer Nick Plumb, and the guys there are all total rally nuts!

I also included a set of Speedblock stripes just to reenforce the Yamaha branding (they are actually TY80 tank stickers!), and not shown in this photo is Alpinestars (boots for me, and lots of lovely hats for you guys!), and Apico/Vesty who are the UK importers for Arai [off-road] helmets, TwinAir air filters, Hiflo oil filters, and Polisport (chain slippers and guide blocks) - again, they cut me a great deal on the consumable spares I'd need, and a fancy new hat!

I'd also like to mention Trail-Tech who cut me a deal on an uprated stator and reg/rec (to run the HID), and last but not least, Llanerchindda Farm in South Wales, who's generous cash donation paid for my fancy Speedocap repeater unit that hooks into the organisation's Unik GPS.

In fact I was in the fortunate position of almost not having enough room for all the stickersl! (not helped that some were huge!) - and indeed since this photo, I've had to jiggle the design around a bit as there are obligatory stickers to fit at scrutineering (to the fairing sides) and there would not have been enough room...

I shall also be adding Kriega (who have very generously provided the Stash wallets for the supporter's packs, plus my tail pack and fork seals) and www.BikersJersey.com who are a KTM dealer in the channel islands, who, by the power of ADVrider and this very forum, got in touch last week and provided me with chains and sprockets, plus organized the Putoline Oil deal for me - a huge thank you!!!

btw. The eagle-eye'd amongst you may notice the Touratech sticker is actually reflective - I didn't realise this until I took this photo with the flash late at night... it will be handy to have the reflective logo on the front of the bike, and I have also included a couple of the mountain logos on the sides of my helmet too.

In fact, while I was busy in the garage, I got Dani Pedrosa to model my new gear for me:

J xxx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 05:55 PM
Old 11-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #267
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

By the time I'd finished packing and re-sticking stickers, it was 2.15am on Sunday morning, and I really had to get some sleep as it was going to be a long day...

I was up at 6am, and away before dawn to get to Llanerchindda Farm in the vain attempt to blag a bit of breakfast with them! The farm is a delightful family-run Dinner, Bed & Breakfast hotel in the Cambrian Mountains in south Wales (near the Brecon Beacons), and ideally situated in the heart of some of the best trail-riding in the country. I regularly stay with them when I'm down that way, and together with providing great facilities for bikes and 4WDs (they even have their own 4x4 and trails-bike course on their land), they offer a whole host of other outdoor pursuits and activities too (right, that plug should have paid for my breakfast!)

Fortunately the weather was pretty clear, and I was finally able to photograph the finished bike:

I also collected my sponsorship cheque, and we shot a few photos for their newsletter and marketing, before I tucked into a bacon sarnie!

Then it was a quick hop over the mountains to visit my next sponsors...

J x
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #268
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Yep, even though it was a Sunday (and they are closed for business), I met up with general manager Craig Whitney at Touratech UK for a few more photos:

These guys have been great at helping me out over the years, Nick especially has provided a great insight into what it takes to compete in the Dakar. They are also just over the road from the World of BMW off-road school run by Simon Pavey, another multi-Dakar competitor, and who will be in South America again this year...

I popped in to see him doing the last minute preparation to his G450X based rally bike and found it in pieces... it's not a story for me to tell, but lets just say he was limping, and the bike needed a lot of new parts before it would be ready to take to Le Havre in less than three days time! And I thought I'd been up against it!

So after a quick cuppa there, it was back on the trailer with the bike, and back on the road for the long journey to Desert Rose Racing where I would finally drop off the bike...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #269
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Looking good with those preparations, Jenny. It'll be exciting to see if your engines put up with the harsh and long distances. Especially since ASO promised a more 450-friendly technical layout of the different sections this year.
Pal Anders reckons he'll have to change engine at least once, maybe twice due to the smaller engine size in 2011.

Best of luck and fortune! Just participating is an achievement in itself. Finishing is a masterpiece. We all wish to see you and the other girls finish.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #270
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

I got to Patsy's early in the evening, and rather than unload, we sat around drinking tea and beer and gassing about all sorts of everything, for hours!

Eventually I unloaded the bike, and then popped back the following morning to do the last minute preparations and packing of my gear... and the intention was to take a few more publicity photos with me and the bike... unfortunately it was absolutely lashing down with rain, and would be all day... still, at least the WR was snug and warm in the workshop, so I set about a few more photos - afterall, it would never look this clean and shiny again...

Nav gear and wiring ready to accept all the equipment to be fitted at scrutineering:

I would like to thank etc. etc.

Upper fairing panel clear for compulsory stickers to be fitted:

Ready for my race number (tbc):

So with the weather a write-off on Monday, I went back there this morning for one last try... and found my WR had found a friend late last night:

Yep, Craig Bounds had also delivered his new bike to Patsy, ready for the journey across the channel at silly o'clock tomorrow morning!

So as the last trunks were being loaded in to the F350 support truck, I dragged my bike outside for a final photo:

(Dirty Dog glasses and goggles btw. )

And of course, I would like to thank my manager:

The little pink fella!

Next time we'll all be together, it'll be in BA baby!

Toot toot!

J xx