User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #346
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Sticky!

Can't imagine this thread will need to be a STICKY!
Cant imagine it will be anything but 'headline news' until say.... Mid January!
Even the possibility of upadates from the 'event', no pressure JMo!
Wishing you and Craig all the best for what looks to be a 'Classic' Dakar!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #347
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Oddometer: 115
Hi Jenny!
You said you are in good physical condition. I am actually training for the German Baja Cup next year(a huge threat is coming) and do a lot of cycling, running, upper-body and back exercises...

Could you give us some more information about your training regime?

Best wishes!
Marci
TimFinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #348
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier911
Can't imagine this thread will need to be a STICKY!
Cant imagine it will be anything but 'headline news' until say.... Mid January!
Even the possibility of upadates from the 'event', no pressure JMo!
Wishing you and Craig all the best for what looks to be a 'Classic' Dakar!

Hee hee - my intention is to get a dedicated "Dakar Dazed - direct from the Bivouac" thread running during the event itself - that way I (and the guys from Desert Rose Racing back in the UK) can update remotely with words and pics (and Rally Raidio phone in links of course!), and you guys can discuss the goings on while I'm busting my arse out there!

I'd be happy if those posts/pictures were cross-posted into the 'Official Dakar 2011' thread too, where appropriate of course!

Jxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #349
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFinnegan
Hi Jenny!
You said you are in good physical condition. I am actually training for the German Baja Cup next year(a huge threat is coming) and do a lot of cycling, running, upper-body and back exercises...

Could you give us some more information about your training regime?

Best wishes!
Marci
Hi Marci - sounds like you are on the right track there already!

As you are probably aware, I broke my foot in September, and spent a fair few weeks on crutches which serious hampered my intention to get really fit and strong again prior to Dakar. At the moment, it's a case of doing what I can to get the strength back into my ankle joint, which is still hurting/aching after walking more than a few hundred meters - but I did rip the sh!t out of them so I guess that's to be expected...

The main problem with the Dakar, is not so much the length of the special stages (although some of those are 400-500kms), rather the total daily distances involved which can be getting on for double that... I'm more concerned about the long liaisons early in the morning, and again to get to the next bivvy that will sap your energy for the specials themselves.

Fortunately I'm used to riding large distances, and for the past two years that has been on a 180+Kg 660 bike, so the physical demands of riding the WR will be considerably less.

Mentally, you really need to treat as a series of long trail rides (is Patsy's advice), and I'll certainly be taking my ipod with me for the liaisons (and to rock out on the specials - f*ck yeah!). Pacing myself is going to be the key to success, and finishing with a straight bike and minimal damage to myself.

I'd love to think I could be up their actually 'racing', but I'm realistic - as I've said all along, this is a one-shot deal for me, and I'm not about to piss away €25,000+ of my own savings on a moment of glory - I want that finishers medal!

So at the moment my fitness regime is all about maintaining flexibility and trying to keep my weight down - it's all a bit late for serious muscle building and significant cardo-improvements...

I'm hoping that will be enough... otherwise, I'll be relying on pain-killers and Red Bull for those two weeks!

J x
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #350
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Obviously things have been pretty busy here, and will continue to be so right up until the end of December when I fly out to Argentina - but I'll try and answer everyone's questions where I can!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx
Your detailed knowledge and good preparations strikes home here in a good sense. Very inspirational stuff.

I was asked by the previous owner of my 690 Rally if I planned to do some rally-riding. He bought that bike and got it registered together with Pal Anders in 2008 before he chose to put his newborn daughter and family first. He did some training with Pal Anders, then went out of opportunities. It then sat mothballed in his garage for two years - only 260kms old - before I got it through Pal Anders - who had tried to sell it for over a year without success.

Well, to be honest I hate warm, tropical climates, and I've been through knee ligament replacement after a crash last year. 5 titanium bolts hold my left knee together. I therefore told him the truth; No, I don't dream about rally riding in the desert since that rehab takes up to 3 years after surgery. Snapping loose the bolts in my knee is not an option, which can easily happen if I repeatedly perform port side dropoffs and use that partly "Robocopped" leg too much. A Swiss donor bank gave me bolt-on achilles tendons to replace my torn knee ligaments, and risking that surgery may take some more systematic training before I can think of any racing. No probs, though - I can easily live with that. Other options are more than happily adequate.

But heck, that rally-bike purchase was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - so I jumped it. Damn proud ownership, to say the least!

The real reason for that purchase was to do rehab training for a purpose - to ride that barely used beast on mountain gravel roads and have a lighter and more solid & crashworthy mount than the F800GS ( it's front end can't take much damage in a crash) and to ride long gravel and dirt road tours with my mates here in Scandinavia. I realistically won't even pass the medical for a Norwegian enduro license, but your and other rider's detailed reports triggered other dreams here.

I wouldn't mind trying to initiate a smaller-scale roadbook event or two here in Scandinavia for us amateurs not having the network or sponsors to do the Middle-East rallies and the Dakar. It doesn't have to be at high, elite competitive level. Just give a fair amount of challenges and give the riders a big grin and have fun!

I'm thinking of a simple, unpretencious and makeable event like this in a Scandinavian format:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631705

After all, the 690 beast deserves a few dusty events to roar in my hands
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 02:59 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #351
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Oddometer: 115
Haha, sorry my name is "Marco"
I was typing a bit too fast...

Quote:
otherwise, I'll be relying on pain-killers and Red Bull for those two weeks!

I read about your foot but I forgot it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Marco
TimFinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #352
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

What a tool!

OK, some of you were wondering about my tool kit and spare parts (to be carried on the bike), for rallying in general, and particularly Dakar (not that there is really any difference, other than you simply have to be able to get going again if at all possible, as the sweeptruck is the grim reaper in Dakar...)

So, first up, my toolkit itself - this is something I've assembled over the past few years, initially when I was traveling around the USA...

I've got pretty much every tool I'd ever need to strip a bike down in there, and any specific tools (such as a 17mm socket for my Honda front axle, 14mm socket for my Tenere sump plug, plus the various plug spanners for the different bikes) I can just swap over as required. The kit contains the following:

Top row, L to R:

• Maglite Solitare and spare battery

• DRC spoke key (with interchangable nipples, currently the sizes for Talon rally spokes plus my Honda XR)

• folding 1/4" T-handle, with 12mm socket stowed

• 100mm 1/4" extension bar with 8mm socket stowed

• 1/4" ratchet with 10mm socket stowed

note. 8/10/12mm sockets are the most popular sizes on Japanese bikes, and pretty much every fastener including the sump plugs on the WR is one of these.

• Leatherman 'Kick' - this is a great tool with everything you need - blade / + & - screwdrivers / bottle opener (essential!) and pliers of course, but without the weight and bulk of the original Leatherman multi-tool.

Bottom row L to R:

• small zip ties (great for wiring and bodywork repairs)

• needle file (for cleaning electrical contacts and other small jobs - at a push you could file a chain link down)

• 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm Allen keys

• 13mm ratcheting spanner (typically for rear sprocket bolts)

• 10/12mm combination spanner (a hang over from my original Honda XR toolkit!)

• 8mm double ended spanner

• 6mm socket (for jets)

• 13mm & 17mm sockets - again, depending on the bike in question, but always useful to help others, and take up very little space - note. the 17mm is a 3/8th drive socket (see below).

• I also have a selection of screwdriver and Allen bits (plus Torx) and a QR socket for the 1/4" handles/ratchet.

In the plastic bags are:

• Latex gloves

• assorted fuses

• 520 chain split link

• spare IMO sensor magnet.

I also carry a spare inner-tube valve when trail riding, but that is not necessary when running mousses of course.

This little lot fits very comfortable in the Stash wallet, and still has room for a piece of rag too, which is always handy...

Together with the toolkit itself, I also carry the following 'bodge-it' spares, that will hopefully get me out of a hole - metaphorically or otherwise!

L to R:

• assorted medium sized zip ties

• 1/4" T-handle (I like this tool particularly, and it fits in the tail bag so I bring it along)

• Motion-Pro 27mm and 22mm combi wrench and tyre irons (the wheel nut sizes on the WR, plus the Tenere, and 27mm being KTM too). I also have the 24mm version which fits my XR, plus a DRZ for example - so all three together cover pretty much every dirt/trail bike around. I also have the 3/8th drive socket adaptor for the 24mm iron, to use the 17mm socket in my kit (these being the two sizes for my XR400).

• electrical tape and duct tape.

• tin containing assorted nuts and bolts / electrical wire & crimp connectors, plus cable inners and various nipples to repair clutch and throttle cables.

• length of chain and second clip link

• length of webbing strap (for tow-rope or lashing)

• tube of Quick-Steel - fantastic stuff!

I also carry some very heavy duty zip-ties (only two shown in photo, ideally you'd have 4) which can be used to hold serious stuff together - like your leg for example! - and are a good way of keeping a tyre on your wheel if your mousse has disintegrated.

One school of thought is to carry a spare (21") tube on a rallybike, but having spoken to Simon Pavey recently (who's had more than his fair share of mousse and tyre failures over the years), he says he never bothers changing the mousse out for a tube now, as they tyre is most likely to be damaged anyway, and thus the tube likely to fail too... you can waste a lot of time stripping a tyre on and off at the roadside, so zip-tying the tyre onto the rim and limping home is probably quicker in the long run.

I will however find somewhere to stash my Motion-Pro chain link tool, as trying to repair a chain with a file and a rock is no fun either!

All of this kit fits easily into a Kriega R3 waist pack (can you see a theme occurring here?! - yep, Kriega is a sponsor, even though I'd bought all this gear before). However on the rally bike, I tend to stash it in my tailpack (which is a Kriega Cube 1 bag, of course!) behind the rear tank, as it fits very nicely in there, along with the bodge-it bits and bobs:

While the large zip-ties and tyre irons slot into the space between the frame spars and the left hand front tank (for easy access), although I may revise this slightly for the Dakar, once I get to Buenos Aries.

Finally, I also have a spare front brake and clutch lever, a gear shift lever, plug spanner and a spare spark-plug (in a protective case). It is also probably a good idea to stick a spare coil-pack in my pocket, if only so I can lend it to Helder Rodrigues, eh Tony?!

Right, I hope I've not forgotten anything!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 09:20 AM
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #353
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumb

This thread is epic. You read my mind, Jen. I was just about to ask about your toolkit.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #354
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Is it me, or you missing the spark plug wrench amongst your stuff?

EDIT: Never mind, I just missed the last line of your post

Also, Jenny please do me a favour. When you see Hélder, kick his rear end (not his bike!) for me if he doesn't have a spare coil with him

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #355
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Is it me, or do you have the spark plug wrench amonst your stuff?
Hi Tony - last paragraph x

Because I have a number of different bikes now, and typically they all use different plugs (and plug spanner sizes!), then I tend to have a separate pack of spare levers and the corresponding plug and plug spanner with those. Then I can just grab whichever bag relates to which bike I'm using... if I remember to of course!

The plug spanner fits in the toolkit bag too, and the plug and spare levers will stash in the tailpack on the bike... I don't really like the Edward Sissorhands way of zip tying everything to the forks/nav tower etc - I know it's the season, but I think it looks like a Christmas tree?!

Jx
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #356
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Mmm. I have gear lust for those tyre levers
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #357
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
• 520 chain split link

Jenny xx
You probably know already, but be sure to pack 2 master links on the bike, not one. One won't do you much good if you break a chain link and must splice in more chain.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #358
tenyamman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
you've inspired me.

now do you think i could do the 'Bivouac-Bivouac' part of the Heroes and Legends(paris-dakar) that you did. not upto Bernards std....well done that man.
just using the 2008 Ten with a few mods ...... what mods would you recommend.
do you know what sort of money it is to do? how you get the bike home? and all those other sort of questions i should be asking but so so new to all this rallye stuff.
have really enjoyed following your mods and photo info. good luck for the dakar as know you'll be going soon and how we sponsor your trip then?
tenyamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #359
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
You probably know already, but be sure to pack 2 master links on the bike, not one. One won't do you much good if you break a chain link and must splice in more chain.

fun fun
Charlie
I believe the description shows and says she is packing 2. Maybe I misread.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
I use to smoke, now I vape.
DP: I was thinking, "all these people ...are sleeping now". Nope, you're all still on! When do you sleep?!
PackMule:Third week of January. n00b.

TEAM F5, rank: ⌘R ===> FTW
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #360
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenyamman
you've inspired me.

now do you think i could do the 'Bivouac-Bivouac' part of the Heroes and Legends(paris-dakar) that you did. not upto Bernards std....well done that man.
just using the 2008 Ten with a few mods ...... what mods would you recommend.
do you know what sort of money it is to do? how you get the bike home? and all those other sort of questions i should be asking but so so new to all this rallye stuff.
have really enjoyed following your mods and photo info. good luck for the dakar as know you'll be going soon and how we sponsor your trip then?
Hey fella!

It's a whole other topic really, but briefly - you could do the Heroes' Bivouac route on a stock bike no problem, a number of guys did it last year on GSs with luggage... It is a fantastic 'journey' in itself, but you'd be missing out on a whole lot of stunning scenery you only get to ride on the actual stages themselves?

However, I would say it is not a rally you should actually race in without having either done another (shorter) event first, or at least be a very good and strong off-road rider - it is pretty grueling, even if you take it easy in the slower group... in fact it will be pretty grueling just riding the Bivouac route!

As I understand it, Heroes-Legend may be changing the format a little next year (with more focus on outright speed and racing), and they may also be revamping the Bivouac route to include the option to ride some of the stages, but un-timed.

Therefore I can't really say what the cost would be - but it is currently significantly cheaper than a race entry, for sure... best keep an eye on the Heroes-Legend website for 2011 prices...

As for getting the bike home, included in the entry fee is the return shipping (by boat) from Dakar to Le Havre, and it takes about three weeks.

If you (or anyone) wants more info about Heroes-Legend, do check out and spark up my old thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512589

And I'll do my best to answer any questions there...

Start saving!

J xx