Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #361
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHomme
I believe the description shows and says she is packing 2. Maybe I misread.
Hee hee - I'm glad someone is paying attention!

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #362
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Piglet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I agree... as I said above, this imagine was not downloaded from a Disney site - and any resemblance to persons (or indeed piglets) living or dead is entirely coincidental.

I am also not selling t-shirts - you guys are sponsoring me, and in return you get some free merchandise. I think you'd like a picture of my best buddy, the little guy who has traveled around the world with me...

xx
Indiana would like to wish Piglet good luck on the 2011 Dakar
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
I use to smoke, now I vape.
DP: I was thinking, "all these people ...are sleeping now". Nope, you're all still on! When do you sleep?!
PackMule:Third week of January. n00b.

TEAM F5, rank: ⌘R ===> FTW
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #363
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 948
I must admit being hooked. Line, sinker and all. Jenny only uses her rally outfit as stealthy disguise for being an excellent journalist. This is plain awesome, true story-telling art of best UK quality. Love it.

We're dealing with an embedded war-correspondent here, folks. Of the very best kind.
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #364
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,918
At last, the toolkit pictures. I must say it looks great. What about Duct tape? Did I miss it in your blurb? Take a roll along and wind it round one of your shocks. Duct tape is the the next best stuff after your tube of metal.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #365
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

It's there, next to the electrical tape in the picture with the tyre irons...

It's quite a small roll now of course - as you say, it's useful stuff!

Jx
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #366
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,188
I thought my toolkit was "efficient". I do travel pretty light, but your kit looks pretty well setup IMO.

I have been eyeing the Kriega gear as well. I have a serious fondness for bags and motorcycle jackets. I have to many of both.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #367
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Just in case you guys didn't know

From site owner, Baldy:
I'm taking the site down on Tuesday and it will be offline all day and probably into the night.

When it comes back, initially it will be just white, bland, generic, maybe for a week or two until we can work out performance issues and bugs.

I hope to have it back online on Wednesday, but I'm expecting performance issues so it might be on and off periodically for awhile.

Sorry!!
So don't freak out
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
I use to smoke, now I vape.
DP: I was thinking, "all these people ...are sleeping now". Nope, you're all still on! When do you sleep?!
PackMule:Third week of January. n00b.

TEAM F5, rank: ⌘R ===> FTW
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #368
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,284
Hi Jenny
I have just spent the last 2.5 hours reading all of this thread! Was sent here because I had asked in our Aussie section of advrider if there had been an Aussie chick do Dakar... There hasn't!
I have no idea if I will be good enough for it before I am too old but you have pushed my inspiration to yet another level! I had my first ride in the dirt 2 weeks ago lol.. hooked already (altho slow and a lil scared haha). I figure try an easy rally here next year, hopefully the Australasian the next, then...
I don't have an issue with roughing it, navigation is easy enough to learn (hiked a bit), and the endurance and fitness is a matter of discipline and training so why not aim high!

I wish you very best and seeing as we have no Aussie chicks to cheer for I am gonna be watching you all the way!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #369
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 493
Hey Jenny.....

Just another topic that you may or may not have time or want to get into but I guess the engine you will be starting with on 1st Jan is the one you used in the Tunisie.
Can't remember reading whether you slotted in your fresh new engine from your spare bike or whether you have just run that one in!
If on the original what are your thoughts on service life or did you throw in a new piston before the dash to Le Harve.
Do you plan to swap on the rest day or let sleeping dogs lie!
I finished the 'Optic' in '07 on a new alloy framed WRF450 and the way the engine loosened up over the 10 days was amazing. It was reving like a 125 two stroke by the end. Sold it on before finding out how hard the Rallye had been on it!
Or is this a topic that is best left to fate and the Dakar Gods!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #370
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Hi Jenny
I have just spent the last 2.5 hours reading all of this thread! Was sent here because I had asked in our Aussie section of advrider if there had been an Aussie chick do Dakar... There hasn't!
I have no idea if I will be good enough for it before I am too old but you have pushed my inspiration to yet another level! I had my first ride in the dirt 2 weeks ago lol.. hooked already (altho slow and a lil scared haha). I figure try an easy rally here next year, hopefully the Australasian the next, then...
I don't have an issue with roughing it, navigation is easy enough to learn (hiked a bit), and the endurance and fitness is a matter of discipline and training so why not aim high!

I wish you very best and seeing as we have no Aussie chicks to cheer for I am gonna be watching you all the way!

Magic stuff Nazza - and welcome to the 'other' Dakar thread!

Don't worry about ever being too old - there are actually plenty of people into their 40s and beyond who still regularly rally raid and indeed do the Dakar... in fact the older you are, the more likely you are to be able to afford the indulgence?!

As you say, general fitness is the key, together with plenty of on-bike experience riding off-road. As important is the mental attitude - not giving up, finding a way around or out of, adverse circumstances... I've done a lot of solo traveling in the past few years, so have lived on my wits for much of that time... of course traveling and trail-riding is very different to racing, as if you want a day off, you can usually take it - with racing, you've got to get your sorry arse back on the bike every day they demand it!

I'm so glad you will be following my exploits from down under, and do cheer on Aussie (and adopted Brit) Simon Pavey too of course - he has entered solo this year - that is doing all his own maintenance/repairs and living out of a metal trunk (not literally of course, he wouldn't fit in it) for the two weeks...

Desert Rose Racing will be carrying all his spare tyres and mousses for him though (and he has a lot!), so I'm sure we'll be hanging out around the Bivouac each night...

It's getting close now - 28 days and I'm going to be picking up my bike at the port!

J x
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #371
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHomme View Post
Indiana would like to wish Piglet good luck on the 2011 Dakar
Hee hee - cool - Indiana even has his own Camelbak by the look of it!

Jx
Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 AM   #372
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier911 View Post
Just another topic that you may or may not have time or want to get into but I guess the engine you will be starting with on 1st Jan is the one you used in the Tunisie.
Can't remember reading whether you slotted in your fresh new engine from your spare bike or whether you have just run that one in!
If on the original what are your thoughts on service life or did you throw in a new piston before the dash to Le Harve.
Do you plan to swap on the rest day or let sleeping dogs lie!
I finished the 'Optic' in '07 on a new alloy framed WRF450 and the way the engine loosened up over the 10 days was amazing. It was reving like a 125 two stroke by the end. Sold it on before finding out how hard the Rallye had been on it!
Or is this a topic that is best left to fate and the Dakar Gods!
Not at all, thanks for the prompt - you're right, the engine in my race bike is the same one I used in Tunisia. That in turn was brand new (other than 1000kms miles to run it in before the race), and has only done around 3000kms in total - it's fresh as anything (I'm not that fast x), and more importantly, is running sweetly so I didn't want to mess with it...

The spare engine has only done about 600kms, and I didn't have time to check the valves before I had to crate it up. To be fair, they shouldn't need adjusting for a while (although one of my exhaust valves was a little tight on the original engine and needed a shim). The spare engine was running (and starting) fine before I stripped it, so I'm confident should I need it, it will be fine for the rest of the race.

I'm really hoping to run in Marathon Class for the duration, on the original engine - the spare is just a back up, and hopefully will stay in it's crate and be the basis of my new bike for next season - since I imagine the original engine is going to be pretty shagged after the Dakar...

As you suggest, come rest day, I'll have to see how the bike feels and decide whether changing the engine then is a wise precaution... there are some long day both before and after rest day this year, and the organization have said the 2nd half will be tougher than it was last year... as long as the original engine isn't burning oil, then I'll try and stick with it as long as I can - I hate to consider an engine as a consumable part!

Fortunately it doesn't take that long to swap the engine out on the WR, so ultimately it could be done overnight if it had to...

Jx
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #373
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,433
jmo.. this is my new favourite thread
good luck on the dakar

what kind of fairing is the one you have?

derek
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #374
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's his Face View Post
jmo.. this is my new favourite thread
good luck on the dakar

what kind of fairing is the one you have?

derek
Hey Derek! - the perfect excuse for another picture!

The fairing/tank kit I have is made by JVO Racing in Spain... it is their 'Lite' kit, that is just the front end, not the complete kit which includes a one-piece rear tank/subframe, new seat, and a carbon bashplate (along with loads of other bits and bobs, that all add up!)

I have supplemented the twin 10 litre JVO front tanks with a 5 litre Safari Tank on the rear, plus added a custom aluminium tank between the front tanks, giving another 5 litres. GMX (who made that tank) also made the pair of 1.5 litre water tanks on either side of the bashplate, as I prefer having a hunk of metal down there!

J x
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #375
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,433
well it looks fanastic

a very well put together machine
and the best bit is ..... it's not orange