Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #616
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,366
Hee hee - chewing my nails to the quick in nerviousness!

That's actually Tamsin Jones (finisher 2010) I'm talking too - she is supporting Craig Bounds (in more ways than one x) and that is his bike going through scrutineering... the noise from the sentinels drove you mad, but it wasn't as bad as the truck air horn that got stuck on earlier - deafening!

As Katie says, I do indeed have a phone that is 21st century at least, but sadly not an iPhone... it's a kind of Argentinian Blackberry rip-off, but unlocked dual sim, and quad band, so it works with my UK sim, plus a local one, and with any luck it will work everywhere including the USA in future... I'll be able to keep in touch in both Argentina and Chile this way...

I'll be calling into Rally Raidio a little later, so hang on in there a little while longer while I update Katie with some photos!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #617
Katie em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Some photos from Jenny...

Katie em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #618
Katie em
Gnarly Adventurer

1- guy videoing us on way back to hotel - kids and adults were on the roadside waving us on on the way back from the port - the race start itself is going to be mental!

downtown BA on way to scrutineering on thursday

piglet will ride with me in spirit at least!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #619
Katie em
Gnarly Adventurer

1st thing on thursdasy morning before scrutinneering, wating for gps to be checked

jennys Race bib and helmet

fans at scrutineering - wanted autographs and photos! even from someone starting 173rd!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #620
Katie em
Gnarly Adventurer

my bike finally through scrutineering after 4 hours...
outside I stopped for a photo, then went round the corner
onto the huge podium with video screens and thousands of
fans - it was mental!

three wise monkeys - vince, patsy and tony - our support
crew.

team honda europe bikes - inc mirjam pol and quinn cody
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #621
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,876
Thanks to Jenny for my new mobile wallpaper.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview

doyle screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 01:04 PM
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #622
maple1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
here's to a safe and happy New Year to everybody at the rally and have a blast!!!
maple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #623
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Thanks to Jenny for my new mobile wallpaper.
Doyle, that is perfect! Can you post up the resized pic so I can use it on my iphone please!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #624
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Great photos Jenny & Katie M. Keep them coming!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #625
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Doyle, that is perfect! Can you post up the resized pic so I can use it on my iphone please!
See if this works for ya.

What I do is open the photo so I am viewing just that photo with no title bar or anything. Then if you push the top and home screen buttons at the same time it essentially makes a screenshot and you can make it your wallpaper from there.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #626
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie em View Post

1- guy videoing us on way back to hotel - kids and adults were on the roadside waving us on on the way back from the port - the race start itself is going to be mental!
Jenny

Relax and enjoy the experience - it will be awesome but I guess it will pale into insignificance when you compare it to how you will feel crossing the finish line

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #627
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
See if this works for ya.

What I do is open the photo so I am viewing just that photo with no title bar or anything. Then if you push the top and home screen buttons at the same time it essentially makes a screenshot and you can make it your wallpaper from there.
Duh... of course, the old screenshot trick. Coolio! Got it all dialed now!

Can't wait to get a version with nothing but sand dunes in front of her bike!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #628
tart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Good luck Jenny.
tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #629
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,366
Ok, seems I can't get through on Rally Raidio right now? so I'll have to update you best I can via this tiny net-book keypad!

Wednesday 29th

Arrived in good time on wednesday morning, slept ok on the plane - surprisingly good legroom in economy on Argintina Airlines, and there were just two of us to three seats which was comfortable.

mix up at the terminal meant when Patsy & Co's plane landed (late), it was actually at a different terminal and I hadn't realised until too late... my phone didn't work so I ended up getting through to her on a pay phone and got my own taxi to our hotel... left a bit later than planned for the port (about 1h 20m away) and when we arrived, ours was the only truck left in the compound! better than the bun fight it had been earlier in the day with hundreds of competitors all trying to collect their vehicles!

Unfortunately, all three bikes batteries were flat as a pancake, and mine wouldn't run at all, even aftere kick starting it in 40 degree heat! We swapped the dud for my new spare, and all was good... great ride back to BA, with loads of kids (and grown ups!) waving to us, and we were just in cruising in our shorts and jackets... goodness knows how mental it will be on saturday! One guy even rode alongside us taking a video with his camera!

Had to do a few final jobs on the bikes before scrutineering the following morning, then we all piled out to a restaurant for a well-earnt meal - other than some snatched hours on the plane, we'd barely slept at all in two days...

Thursday 30th

I was first of our riders for scrutineering and had to be there (about 20 min ride from our hotel) at 9am... La Rural is huge - aircraft hanger sized buildings (it's an exhibition centre), and an efficently chaotic set up - a huge hall for admin, and another for all the technical checks.

The paperwork was strragiht forward enough, and was done by lunchtime, but it took ages to get through the tech checks as there were hold ups on the bike side as they decided to change the markings to try and stop any illegal engine changes...

caught up with Si Pavey (who'd been having his own problems getting his bike sorted prior to scrutineering), and also Niles (Jonah Street's mechanic) who likewise had been working all hours the past couple of days... like we said though, no matter what (it takes), we will get the bikes through scrutineering, there is NO other option!

Saw Quinn Cody's CRF in the line behind me, he had a bit of trouble with the scrutineers as he didn't have a rear fog light... others fell foul of the regs regarding rear view mirrors etc. It's all these little things that add up and waste time... even I/we had a problem regarding our spare engines - they were in Patsy's truck which wasn't allowed into the scrutineering hall as it has already been done in Le Havre... noone wanted to walk a quarter of a mile each way with boxes of engines, so she sweet talked them into letting her bring the truck up to the door at least.

Anyway, by about 7.30pm all four of our riders were through... I must say, it was amazing once I'd left the hall... each vehicle/rider has to stop for an official photo (looking bedraggled after spending 8 hours in a bloody hanger mind you!), then you ride round a corner and up a huge podium ramp infrot of the Dakar village (a whole collection of sponsors stands and tents etc.) and hundreds if not thousands of spectators who go banana's!

I was the first woman through scrutineering, and the presenter did a quick interview- I was gobsmacked and probably garbled all sorts of 'lovely to be here' cliches... then I rode down the ramp to a blare of camera flashes, so had to hoist a few wheelies on my way out to parc ferme, of course x

By the time we got back it was well into the evening, and we popped out roud the corner for a great steak dinner in a cafe, and another late night...

Friday 31st

Today was pretty relaxed - I went out after breakfast in the hotel (which is full, like every other hotel in the town this weekend it would seem!), found a mobile phone shop and ended up getting a sort of blackberry style dual sim handset that should work all over the world, so I'll be able to update you during the rally via texts to Katie Em and hopefully a few phone ins to Rally Raidio if I can get connected?

Met a friend for lunch (great pasta!) and am now doing my final admin, and sorting out all my riding gear and paper work to take with me on the rally itself.

We are fortunate to be able to leave what we don't need at the hotel for the two weeks, and it is my intentio n to have just one bag with my personal gear in, plus my riding kit which I'll be wearing... as little stuff to think about as possible it going to be the key I feel.

You are probably wondering if I'm feeling nervous yet?

Well, right now, my head is full of 101 things, plus the whole team are going out for an early meal to celebrate New Year's Eve of course...

Tomorrow all riders have to be in their kit and at Parc Ferme for a photocall at 8.30am... the briefing (for everyone) is at 10am, then we leave there at 2pm, and the first bike (actually the quads I think) are away at 2.15 on the start podium which is a couple of miles away in the very centre of the city, on Avenue 9th de Julio... last year, there were 2 million people lining the streets...

Then you can ask me if I'm nervous!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 01-07-2011 at 04:37 PM
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #630
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
I use to smoke, now I vape.
DP: I was thinking, "all these people ...are sleeping now". Nope, you're all still on! When do you sleep?!
PackMule:Third week of January. n00b.

TEAM F5, rank: ⌘R ===> FTW
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote