Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #1366
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Hi Diek! And welcome to the 'other' Dakar thread - glad you enjoyed it!

The bivouac - yep, it is noisy, and gets increasingly so the more the event goes on and the vehicles need more work... For example, on the third night, we were parked next to a Mitsubishi team, my tent was ten feet from the exhaust of one of the cars that they insisted revving indiscriminately for no apparent reason?! Yes, I did end up shouting "We know it works, now shut the f**king thing off!"

But practically, yes, earplugs are essential - although as Patsy said to me, after a few days "you will sleep!"

On the whole, the bike/car/truck teams try to park together, but it really is the luck of the draw depending on what time your support team arrive as to what spaces are available. It's also a compromise - yes you might be at the far end of the field away form most of the noise, but then it's a long walk to the bathrooms and dinning area for example.

At one bivouac, we had to walk through a huge hanger sized hall between the parking area and where the food tents were, and a number of (presumably Malles Moto) competitors had set their tents up inside the hanger to stay away from the noise, and be near the toilets too which was handy.

You learn to live with it, basically... xx

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #1367
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Piglet just wanted you all to know he's been spreading the love around - look what he bought me for a Christmas present!

Jx
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #1368
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Wow, what a thread!

Hope you are back in the saddle soon to bring us more rally adventures!

Diek
she's already thinking about Mongolia
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #1369
casiopea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Hi Jen!!
I´ve been following all your story, I tried to meet you at La Rural, but I was there earler on thursday 30th,
I was very sad when I heard about your accident, the only good thing is that you were properly tretaed, and it was not "serious". I´m glad to hear everything is going well, I hope we can see you and Piglet on new adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

The way I see it, you can take sensible precautions, but ultimately you either get lucky or you don't when you crash... Look at Luca Manca last year - he had the top flight protective gear, yet was still in intensive care for two weeks?

I reckon the best thing is to do what you can to avoid a crash in the first place, and if that means wearing (or not wearing) something that makes you more comfortable, then it has an equal benefit to being wrapped head to toe in the cutting edge technology gear?

Jx
About this, and I must say first that I now NOTHING about all this, but talking about Luca Manca´s accident, a top rider said to me (and I can´t quote the hole phrase) but about the helmet, the words were "casco de mierda" which means something like helmet made of shit.
So, if you ever plan to buy a helmet, don´t choose that one please!!!

Hope to see you riding soon!!
casiopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #1370
slimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
hi all
im glad so many of you listend to my silence as jenny acted like the duracel bunney and kept going and going and going.

the show will goto archive and im in the process of sorting it out..

tbh jen made the show the easiest to do ..

and she had warned me she can talk for wales../uk/europe/the world(delete as required)

so keep tuned as i should hopefully have si pavey in a post event interview shortly..
other than that big thanks to jenny for her vocal education of all things dakar!!

and as from feb my show is going to be on a wednesday!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #1371
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiopea View Post
Hi Jen!!
I´ve been following all your story, I tried to meet you at La Rural, but I was there earler on thursday 30th,
I was very sad when I heard about your accident, the only good thing is that you were properly tretaed, and it was not "serious". I´m glad to hear everything is going well, I hope we can see you and Piglet on new adventures.
Hi Casiopea - I was there on Thursday, but that was my day for scrutineering, so was inside the hall... for hours!

Funny you say it's not 'serious' - a double spiral fracture means I'm not going to be riding for months you know!!! But yes, in the grand scheme of things, it was a localized injury and not life threatening... and I'm thankful for that!

Quote:
About this, and I must say first that I now NOTHING about all this, but talking about Luca Manca´s accident, a top rider said to me (and I can´t quote the hole phrase) but about the helmet, the words were "casco de mierda" which means something like helmet made of shit.
So, if you ever plan to buy a helmet, don´t choose that one please!!!

Hope to see you riding soon!!
Yes, I too heard that Luca's helmet may have contributed to his injuries... as I understand it, he was wearing one of these very lightweight brands (I couldn't possibly say which one, but you look like a Terrahawk in it), and it did not hold up as well as other brands might have done...

For info, I have always worn Arai, and will continue to do so - even if I did have to buy my own like I did this year (at discount I might add, thank you Apico, the UK importer x)...

Likewise my Dainese body armour - yes there are other brands out there, some of which might well have given me stuff for free, but I have worn Dainese since I started racing, and see no reason to change... for Dakar I bought (at RRP) a new Wave II jacket and V-Knee guards... which, it was sickening to see left in the desert... but I'd buy them again to make sure I had protection that I was most comfortable in.

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 05:44 AM
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #1372
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Just incase anyone is interested:

Jx
Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #1373
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:

Jx
Now I wonder what we are counting down to ?

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #1374
casiopea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Hi Casiopea - I was there on Thursday, but that was my day for scrutineering, so was inside the hall... for hours!
yes, I read it afterwards, I looked for your bike at the parc ferme and notice it wasn´t there, but I didn´t know there was an espectators zone in the scrutineering area. Anyway I couldn´t stay long,,, it was a pitty.

Quote:
Funny you say it's not 'serious' - a double spiral fracture means I'm not going to be riding for months you know!!! But yes, in the grand scheme of things, it was a localized injury and not life threatening... and I'm thankful for that!
yes, it wasn´t ment to be a
"I can see you dancing on the roof" not serious,
it was more a "we spent about 15 minutes thinking you might be at the bottom of a ditch or under a truck, but it was a fractured leg" not serious

anyway I kept thinking, besides not being able to ride, all the discomfort it must be, adding that I remember you were putting up your new house, not easy I beleive...

So I hope you get better soon.

About the helmet issue, what really surprised me was to find out that someone could get in such a competition not taking the best protection available, or something near that... but I see that´s not your case!!
casiopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #1375
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
That should give you plenty of time to be ready for the next one Jen

Quote:

Jx
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #1376
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardood View Post
That should give you plenty of time to be ready for the next one Jen
Hee hee - you'd think, but believe me, time flies... especially as for the first 120 of those days I won't be able to ride!

Jx
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #1377
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Hee hee - you'd think, but believe me, time flies... especially as for the first 120 of those days I won't be able to ride!

Jx
Well, rehab also has its positive sides. I hobbled through the previous winter after my knee surgery and made some creative decisions while doing so. This resulted in the lucky purchase of that almost pristine 690RR, a new refinancing deal signed with the bank today and a big grin, totally renovated bathroom coming up soon and a very happy girlfriend.

Makes one reflect over the small, important things in life, to say the least. You've shown a robust philosophy so far, so this is the time for polishing new decisions and preferrably end up with a positive outcome.

After reading your progress here I have no doubt you'll come through in a good way.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 03:16 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #1378
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:

Jx
yup, after my last surgery I made time useful by going to the gym 7 days a week combined with massage and physio 3 days a week. I realize it's a little early for physio but maybe a little gym and massage will help pass the grey weather?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #1379
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,500
Thanks for all of your insight here, Jenny! Great thread!

I'm going to unstick it and let it float now...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #1380
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

No problem!

In an effort to keep it alive a little longer though, just to say the new batch of DNF AFU shirts will be delivered to me tomorrow, and in the post the same day!

Thank you everyone who has shown an interest and supported my campaign this year - your messages of support and encouragement have been fantastic, particularly after the accident - and I know at least two people who are now building rally bikes as a result of reading my ramblings, which makes me very proud!

If you've not seen the Dakar 2011 photo album, please do visit: www.jennydakar.com

Piglet says 'yea!'

And I say thank you all!

Jenny xx